Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please review straighterline calculus for me!!
Hie guys

If anyone has done calculus 1 or 2 with straighterline, please let me know how you found it. ll the way from the materials, instructions to exams. II am not in the USA so I cannot take CLEP etc, so this is my only option.

Kind regards

Big Shay
Which degree are you going for and at which school?? Are you looking to take just Calculus I or both Calculus I & II?
Study.com also offers Calculus I and it's worth 6 credits at TESU. However, it's a slimmed down version of the subject.
If you really want to learn Calculus, the StraighterLine courses are more rewarding as it's closer to a real college course.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Pikachu
I've read that some of it is out of order.

There are a few other options for calculus 1 that you may consider. Saylor and study.com have calculus 1, however I don't personally believe that study.com's calc 1 course can adequately prepare you for calc 2.

Regardless of your platform choice, I think you would be well served by using other resources, such as khan academy(free) to supplement your studies.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
(02-22-2019, 05:40 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Which degree are you going for and at which school??  Are you looking to take just Calculus I or both Calculus I & II?
Study.com also offers Calculus I and it's worth 6 credits at TESU.  However, it's a slimmed down version of the subject.
If you really want to learn Calculus, the StraighterLine courses are more rewarding as it's closer to a real college course.

Hie bjcheung77, I am doing both to fulfill the requirements for an education here in Denmark, datamatiker its called....I have heard that the straighterline courses are more rigid but also heard that graded exams are loosely connected to the thinkwell videos which is why I am enquiring...Have you taken either if I may ask?

(02-22-2019, 05:45 PM)MNomadic Wrote: I've read that some of it is out of order.

There are a few other options for calculus 1 that you may consider. Saylor and study.com have calculus 1, however I don't personally believe that study.com's calc 1 course can adequately prepare you for calc 2.

Regardless of your platform choice, I think you would be well served by using other resources, such as khan academy(free) to supplement your studies.

Hie MNomadic, I have also read something similar..I am also looking at westcott courses....but thank you for the quick response
I started the class, but for reasons unrelated to the class (my educational journey has been very complicated) ended up stopping partway to pursue my Calc credits elsewhere. I very much enjoyed the video content (the guy in the videos is pretty cringy in his humor attempts, but gets the point across well)

Since I renewed my SL membership recently, I actually have been using this class (since I already bought it) to help me study for the class I'm taking for credit.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
Some may disagree with me but having completed the study.com vourse and SL Calc I though not for credit and currently working on calc II. This is my $0.02.

Firstly before doing Calc I or Calc II watch 'Highlights of Calculus' from Giilbert Strang at MIT OCW on youtube it will make Calc a lot easier. It gives an EXCELLENT grasp of the subject.

Do the SDC course first to get a good overview of the subject and get 6 credits, then buy the SL Calc I and Calc II courses.

Go through the Calc I on your own before starting SL Calc II. Supplement your Calc II with professor Leonard from Youtube. Since I found him many others have found success.

If you insist on doing the Calc I at SL there is a lot of disconnect with thinkwell questions and the quizzes, but after doing SDC Calc it make a whole lot of sense. Its not that thinkwell is bad, its fun! Its just the SL quizzes dont line up with content though it gets bettwr as you move along.

But if you plan to do Calc II from SL buy the Calc I course and go through it even if you are doing the SDC one for credit. Its a very rigid course and Calc I is very important so you need the good knowledge.

The SDC course is too watered down but gives a good overview.

The SDC course is about a 5 in difficulty and the SL course about a 7.
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

[-] The following 4 users Like armstrongsubero's post:
  • bluebooger, jeffreymb, Pikachu, Sapientes
Khan academy can help you prepare well for Calculus. Quite an extensive course- entirely free.
TESU BALS-Psych. + ASNSM(Math) 

TEEX(6): Cybersec. 101/201/301
The Institutes(2): Ethics
Sophia(2): Ess. Of Managing Conflict, Dev. Effective Teams
NFA(1): Comm. Safety Edu.
GED(10): NAS-131, SOC-273, MAT-121, HUM-101 (1)
Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psych., Ethics in Soc. Sc., Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Sp. Ed. History & Law, Diff. Ed., Classroom Mgmt., Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Rsch. methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Mol. & Cellular Bio., Comp. Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 
TESU (1): Cornerstone, Lib. 495 Capstone.
CSM (3): Quant. reasoning. 
Aleks (6): Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics. 

MS-Psychology; Walden University 
GPA: 4/4
I like the MITcourseware YouTube videos on single variable calculus. I learned more from those videos than when I took in back in 2009 and recently from a CC combined.
Georgia Institute of Technology: MS in Analytics (3/32 Credits)
Boston University: MS in Software Development
Thomas Edison State University: BA in Liberal Studies
I took both SL Calc I and Calc II back-to-back late last year. I wrote reviews #93 and #104 in the course review thread below.

https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ut?page=10

TESU - BS NEET (Nuclear Energy Engineering Technology) Credits 128/126.

TESU 19 Credits: TES-100, NUC-342-OL, CTR-212-OL, PHY-128-OL, PHY-129-OL, ENG-201-TE, NUC-490-OL, NUC-495-OL
STRAIGHTERLINE 19 Credits:  COM101, BUS106, CHEM101, CHEM101L, MAT150, MAT250, MAT251
CLEP 12 Credits: A&I Literature, College Comp II, Intro to Sociology, American Govt
NE (noncourse equivalency) 54 Credits: Various
B&M 24 Credits: Various
(02-24-2019, 02:46 PM)dutchman Wrote: I took both SL Calc I and Calc II back-to-back late last year. I wrote reviews #93 and #104 in the course review thread below.

https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ut?page=10

Hie Dutchman, thank you for the response, I read the review and I have a question with regards to the "surprise questions", I have read about....Did you encounter any "surprise questions"? I.e. Questions about topics not covered in the readings, or at least the readings pertaining to the chapter in question.

(02-23-2019, 07:45 PM)armstrongsubero Wrote: Some may disagree with me but having completed the study.com vourse and SL Calc I though not for credit and currently working on calc II. This is my $0.02.

Firstly before doing Calc I or Calc II watch 'Highlights of Calculus' from Giilbert Strang at MIT OCW on youtube it will make Calc a lot easier. It gives an EXCELLENT grasp of the subject.

Do the SDC course first to get a good overview of the subject and get 6 credits, then buy the SL Calc I and Calc II courses.

Go through the Calc I on your own before starting SL Calc II. Supplement your Calc II with professor Leonard from Youtube. Since I found him many others have found success.

If you insist on doing the Calc I at SL there is a lot of disconnect with thinkwell questions and the quizzes, but after doing SDC Calc it make a whole lot of sense. Its not that thinkwell is bad, its fun! Its just the SL quizzes dont line up with content though it gets bettwr as you move along.

But if you plan to do Calc II from SL buy the Calc I course and go through it even if you are doing the SDC one for credit. Its a very rigid course and Calc I is very important so you need the good knowledge.

The SDC course is too watered down but gives a good overview.

The SDC course is about a 5 in difficulty and the SL course about a 7.
Armstrong, thank you for the response! I think I will go with the straighterline but I am very worried about this issue of disjointed questions, I mean that is very tricky and quite unfair in my opinion, but lets see.

Kind regards

Bigshay

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Missing Credly Badges form StraighterLine legenwait4itdary 4 528 03-29-2024, 01:19 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Missing Straighterline credits on credly yc1981 2 180 03-27-2024, 07:53 AM
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 469,028 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
Brick MAT150 - Straighterline - Final Exam riteshvpandya 2 339 02-26-2024, 11:31 PM
Last Post: riteshvpandya
  Review: Coursera Google UX Design Certificate nyjosh 4 2,615 02-26-2024, 04:30 AM
  Is the Introduction to Religion REL 101 proctored exam at Straighterline open book? Breaachh 2 336 02-16-2024, 10:49 PM
Thumbs Up Sophia Review: Finished 6 Courses in 1 Week Ares 11 2,071 02-11-2024, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Ares
  StraighterLine: do I have to complete everything to finish a course? jch 3 723 11-11-2023, 09:02 AM
Last Post: jch
  Straighterline Bio Lab Invoice reir 0 440 11-02-2023, 04:24 PM
Last Post: reir
  Straighterline etc - Graduate Credits in Education? nykorn 5 645 10-22-2023, 07:56 PM