Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PLEASE HELP with TESC social sciences degree plan
Hey there,

I had it all figured out, but had to realize after 3 CLPS that I am not a big CLEP person. I do very good on dsst, but CLEPS are just not my thing. Any ideas how I could substitute some of the CLEPS with DSSTs?

Here is what I got so far:

ALEKS intermediate algebra
college algebra
precalculus
introduction to statistics

NFA fire service supervision
hydraulic calculations
community safety educator

CLEP Intro Sociology (53)
Psychology (54)
Ed psychology (52)
German Language (12 credits)

Dsst Fund. Counseling (60)
Intro World REligion (463)
Subst. Abuse (432)
Intro Computing (454)
Organizational Behavior (64)

Femas 26

I would like to take as many dsst as possible. Which of those could I use towards my degree in social sciences?
Here are the dsst that I have bot taken yet:

General Anthropology v2
Astronomy
Intro to Business v2
Business Ethics and Society** v2
Civil War & Reconstruction** v2
Criminal Justice** v2
Foundations of Education v2
Environment and Humanity: Race to Save the Planet v2
Ethics in America** v2
Principles of Finance**
Here's to Your Health** v2
Human Resource Management v2
Introduction to Law Enforcement v2
Management Information Systems** v2
Intro to Modern Middle East
Money and Banking**
Personal Finance v2
Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union** v2
Principles of Statistics
Principles of Supervision v2
History of the Vietnam War v2
Western Europe since 1945 v2

Thank you very much! As always, you fellow testing out buddies are a tremendous help!

ps: can I get a masters in psychology(or maybe even a psyd) with a BA in social sciences? or would it have to be a BA in psychology?
Does the military accept degrees that are entirely tested out?
Would I get a GPA if I take only the LIVING IN THE INFORMATION AGE course with TESC?
Does Excelsior have a capstone?

I am not enrolled yet, but already accepted at TESC, so I don'T have to do the capstone with them. But I am undecided if I should maybe switch to Excelsior, as I could get some letter grades for my dessts. One the other hand, I would def get a masters before applying anywhere, so I guess I will get a GPA there...

THANKS again!
Is this the degree you're going for? Thomas Edison State College: Social Sciences

If so, there are some items you need to be aware of:

"A. REQUIREMENTS 1. Students complete 33 credits in the social sciences concentration.
2. At least three different subjects must be included which provide for breadth of knowledge in the social sciences. Also, students must earn at least 12 credits in one subject area. A maximum of 18 credits can be earned in any one subject area in order to have a balanced interdisciplinary concentration.
3. Courses transferred to Thomas Edison State College are equated to the following levels: 100, 200, 300 or 400. A maximum of two college- level courses equating to the 100 level can be applied toward the area of concentration. A minimum of 18 credits equating to 300 or 400 Thomas Edison State College courses are required.
4. LIB-495 Liberal Arts Capstone is required
"

dday11 Wrote:I would like to take as many dsst as possible. Which of those could I use towards my degree in social sciences?

It looks like just about all of them from your list.

However, it looks like you need some basic humanities & social courses that normally are covered by CLEP. You've done sociology & psychology, but still need US and Western history, English and maybe a science course. I'd recommend Straighterline in lieu of CLEP. Check out their course list: Online College Courses - Distance Learning Courses - StraighterLine

Quote:Does the military accept degrees that are entirely tested out?

Yes. As long as it is from a school approved of by the US Dept. of Education. Regional accreditation is a plus, which all of the Big 3 have.

Quote:Would I get a GPA if I take only the LIVING IN THE INFORMATION AGE course with TESC?

Yes. TESC only requires you to take 1 course to get a GPA. Your grade for that course becomes your GPA.

Quote:Does Excelsior have a capstone?

Yes. So does COSC. Also, TESC now requires a capstone for all BA majors.

Quote:I am not enrolled yet, but already accepted at TESC, so I don'T have to do the capstone with them.

Actually I think you have to be officially enrolled with TESC prior to the cut-off date, which has now passed, in order to avoid the capstone for BA majors.

Quote:But I am undecided if I should maybe switch to Excelsior, as I could get some letter grades for my dessts. One the other hand, I would def get a masters before applying anywhere, so I guess I will get a GPA there...

You can use a degree from any of the Big 3 for a master's so I wouldn't even factor this into your decision.
BA in History, TESC, Graduated September 2010
MA in History, American Public University, currently pursuing
Virginia teaching license, currently pursuing

Check out Degree Forum Wiki for more information on putting together your own degree plan!

My BA History degree plan.
These are the DSSTs and Straigherline courses that count as social science credit at TESC. I also listed ECEs, TECEPs, and Uexcels; but those are probably more difficult than CLEPs. Remember that you're only allowed two 100-level courses in the area of study and that you need eighteen 300/400 level credits in the area of study, which includes the liberal arts capstone.

Psychology: DSST Fundamentals of Counseling (transcribed as PSY 331), DSST Lifespan Developmental Psychology, DSST Organizational Behavior (UL), ECE Lifespan Developmental Psychology, ECE Abnormal Psychology (UL), ECE Psychology of Adulthood and Aging (UL), ECE Social Psychology (UL), ECE Research Methods in Psychology (UL), UExcel Introduction to Psychology, and Straighterline Introduction to Psychology, TECEP Psychology of Women
Economics: DSST Money and Banking, ECE Introduction to Microeconomics, ECE Introduction to Macroeconomics, Straighterline Microeconomics, and Straighterline Macroeconomics
Geography: DSST Human/Cultural Geography
Political Science: UExcel Political Science and TECEP Introduction to Political Science
Anthropology: DSST General Anthropology
Social Science: DSST Substance Abuse (UL)
History: DSST Western Europe Since 1945, DSST The Civil War and Reconstruction (may or may not be accepted by TESC anymore), DSST An Introduction to the Modern Middle East (UL), DSST A History of the Vietnam War (UL), DSST Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union (UL), ECE World Conflicts Since 1900 (UL), Straighterline Western Civilization I, and Straighterline US History I
Administration of Justice: DSST Introduction to Law Enforcement, DSST Criminal Justice, and Straighterline Introduction to Criminal Justice
Sociology: TECEP Marriage and the Family, UExcel Introduction to Sociology, ECE Cultural Diversity (UL), ECE Foundations of Gerontology (UL), ECE Juvenile Delinquency (UL), ECE World Population (UL), and Straighterline Introduction to Sociology

You might also want to look at some ACE-approved Penn Foster courses.

Some schools might require that you have several credits in psychology or a closely-related degree. If you use very little psychology courses/tests for your social science degree, they may require that you take some prerequisite courses.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,286 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,915 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,437 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,721 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,995 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,818 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 5,132 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 2,006 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,376 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627
  TESU math degree plan. Am I doing this right? jakepg 9 2,748 08-23-2018, 09:20 PM
Last Post: armstrongsubero