Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Officer Packet
Hello there! 
I am AD E6 Navy with 12 years in service. I am wanting to get a degree to be able to put in an officer packet. Has anyone ever done this with a CLEP strategy using any the big 3 and then be accepted? 
Would love to hear any stories from anyone AD using this to switch over to the gold side. 

Thanks so much!
You can certainly utilize CLEPs if you want to do so. Both TESU and UMPI are good schools for military, depending on whether you're likely to be sent on a training mission or if you've currently got a desk job and will have steady internet access for the next 6-12 months.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
The big 3 are all regionally accredited so they'll check the box you're looking to check.

I found a few threads on Reddit that might be interesting to you: ...seems like military types hang out on Reddit more than this board.
Excelsior, TESU, UMPI, WGU, are all great examples for military students... Here's a comparison for Excelsior/TESU I wrote about recently, you can take the minimum at Excelsior or TESU (6/7 credits) and use alternative credit for the remainder of the credits, it's affordable for military as they have specific tuition discounts. Link: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid396226
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Hono,

I see a lot of folks chiming in, but none of them are actually military, so I figured I would add my two cents. I’m AD, and I did a CLEP/DSST + Sophia, Straighterline, Study.com, Instacert plus military credits route through TESU for my BSBA. Had everything done in less than a year and used it to apply for CWO. Funny enough, I was offered a commission, but elected to turn it down because I wanted to make a run at Master Chief. Long story short, it works with JST and if you do it right, should show up as a 4.0 final GPA if you get A’s in your two mandatory TESU classes. Also, I was accepted into an MPA program from Jacksonville State with this degree, so don’t worry about how it might be viewed.

-Robot
Current Course(s): Business Administration Capstone BUS-421 (TESU)

AMU (9); CSM (3); CLEP (15); DSST (3); InstantCert (15); Institutes (3)Military (51); Sophia (6); Straighterline (15); Study.com (6); Thomas Edison State University (3); University of Alaska (12)
The military commissioning route is a perfect example of a check box requirement. As long as the final degree meets the requirements, you can work on the other requirements of the package and forget about it. Until you get to be senior commissioned and politics become a bigger factor than skills, any "applicable" degree will suit your needs.
In Progress: 
Excelsior - BPS Business and Management
Study.com - Business 307, Sociology 305, Psychology 315
ASU - Algebra, PreCalc, Calculus
Luna - Bio2 Lab

Completed: 
Universidad Isabel I - MBA/Master Bus & Corp Comm
Kirkwood - AAS Business Administration, Certificate of Human Resources 3.8 GPA
Excelsior - AAS Applied Technologies Electronics 4.0 GPA
TADA - Google Project Management, Google Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
CSM Learn
US Navy (Electronics Tech 3rd Class) - NER-ET-004, NV-2202-0165 V02, NV-1715-1788 V01, NV-1715-1796 V01, NV-1715-1585 V01, NV-1715-1336 V02

TECEP: 9 Credits
Man-3730, OPM-3010, Bus-3110

Study.com: 6 Credits
Philosophy 301

Lawshelf: 15 Credits
BUS-201, BUS-301, BUS-302, GOV-202, EMP-301

CLEP: 48 Credits
College Math, Financial Accounting, Principles of Micro & Macroeconomics, Intro Sociology, Intro Psychology, Analyze and Interpreting Literature, Intro Business Law, Principles of Marketing, Biology, US History 1 & 2, Humanities

DSST: 9 Credits
Principles of Public Speaking, Ethics in America, Principles of Supervision
(08-12-2023, 06:33 AM)GameSlinger Wrote: The military commissioning route is a perfect example of a check box requirement. As long as the final degree meets the requirements, you can work on the other requirements of the package and forget about it. Until you get to be senior commissioned and politics become a bigger factor than skills, any "applicable" degree will suit your needs.

YMMV. This may be true for Navy, but not AF. Not only do specific degrees qualify you for specific jobs according to the AFOCD CIP Education Matrices (you get a file code depending on the specific degree and type), but often they only take certain jobs on certain boards. So someone who goes and gets a checkbox degree is going to have a really hard time getting past a board.

It's super important for AF folks to first know which officer jobs they're going for and to select a major on the feeder list for that job. It's not like other services where that's only true for engineering, law, chaplaincy etc., most jobs are affected.
[-] The following 2 users Like sarahmac's post:
  • origamishuttle, spohara
(07-22-2023, 10:36 AM)Not_a_robot_101 Wrote: Hono,

I see a lot of folks chiming in, but none of them are actually military, so I figured I would add my two cents. I’m AD, and I did a CLEP/DSST + Sophia, Straighterline, Study.com, Instacert plus military credits route through TESU for my BSBA. Had everything done in less than a year and used it to apply for CWO. Funny enough, I was offered a commission, but elected to turn it down because I wanted to make a run at Master Chief. Long story short, it works with JST and if you do it right, should show up as a 4.0 final GPA if you get A’s in your two mandatory TESU classes. Also, I was accepted into an MPA program from Jacksonville State with this degree, so don’t worry about how it might be viewed.

-Robot

Good discussion. Not_a_robot_101's input leads me to ask - To which officer ascension program do you intend to apply?

Sustained superior performance is essential regardless of the path you chose to take.

Should you intend on applying for Chief Warrant Officer (after you become a Chief) or Limited Duty officer, your  off-duty educational achievements may of little to no significance. 

My basic advice is especially relevant here. Utilize your network! 

As an enlisted person in the world's greatest navy, you probably already have many mechanisms in place to help you discover your potential. 

Have you discussed your goals with your Chief and or Career Counselor? 

Consider requesting a discussion with the Professional Development Board, should your organization have one.
Chief Petty Officer
United States Navy (Retired)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  opinion on officer route? Zachcleigh 10 2,904 12-02-2016, 06:37 AM
Last Post: Zachcleigh
  I have my BA however I'm still trying to get my CCAF for my officer packet 05478391 3 1,656 01-16-2013, 08:10 AM
Last Post: Prloko
  Officer program Spencebr 16 3,194 12-18-2012, 08:48 PM
Last Post: pstreaV
  Army Aviation Warrant Officer transfer credits? gshelley61 9 6,982 10-03-2011, 08:50 PM
Last Post: gshelley61
  Stay Enlisted or go Officer? CLEP101 35 10,175 01-05-2010, 11:08 PM
Last Post: LordRayner82
  Joining Navy As An Officer retake 6 2,479 03-31-2009, 11:46 PM
Last Post: LordRayner82
  Commissioned Officer as Proctor? HollyHill 2 1,753 03-31-2009, 12:36 AM
Last Post: JBjunior
  Marine Officer? Farmerboy 41 8,139 03-25-2009, 01:33 PM
Last Post: bat21