Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New here, never taken CLEP or other exams before
Hey guys, So I'm graduating in the Spring with my associate degree in accounting from a local community college. I'm planning on transferring to Thomas Edison State College to pursue a bachelors degree in accounting (I'm hoping they will accept all of my credits).

So, I've never taken CLEP or similar exams before, and have never even heard of them until a few days ago. And because you guys seem pretty experienced with them, I had a few beginners questions (I checked some of the threads on this board but was just looking for extra input from members here).

1. Is it realistic to think that I can take a CLEP exam for a course that I have no prior knowledge of? After a bit of study of course. Like for example, lets say I want to take the CLEP exam for macroeconomics, yet I know nothing about macroeconomics. Is it possible that I could just study for about a week and then take the test and pass? I know anything is possible but is it realistic? Is this what most people do?

2. How much study time does it take to gain enough knowledge to pass a CLEP exam? I know this will depend on a lot of variables such as prior knowledge, study efficiency, which exam etc. but what would you guys say in general? is studying a few hours a day for a week or so enough study time?

3. What do you guys think of REA's CLEP prep guides? Such as the one right here:

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Principles-Ma...0738603074

Some of them have really good reviews on amazon, others have pretty mixed reviews (like the macroeconomics one shown). I was wondering what you guys thought? What is really intriguing me is the fact that they come with sort of a timeline that lets you set up your own study schedule, which im assuming would make it easier for me to figure out what I should study on what days. Idk though, what do you guys think? Do you think I could pass the CLEP by using these guides as my sole study source? If not then what do you think would be a better source of study?

thanks in advance for any helpful information!
I am extremely happy with REA books. Macroeconomics was my very first CLEP and I used the REA book to study for it.
I recommend buying the book at your local book store immediately. Get the micro book too. And also pick up the CLEP Official Guide from the College Board.
Then go home and read the macro book cover to cover, take the practice test and see how you do. After the first practice test, study the answers you got wrong and then retake it. When you score 100% or so on that one, do the next one and so on.
Then read the micro book cover to cover since it overlaps macro. It will help to solidify the macro concepts and store them into long term memory, instead of just short term memory. Take all of the practice tests for micro and then go back and take the sample test for macro found in the official clep guide. This will tell you if you are ready to test.
This whole process took me 2 weeks but I was able to commit 10 hours per day on the weekends to reading and studying.

I also highly recommend this site Economics Study Guides - SparkNotes

If you want to drill even more, consider signing up for instantcert.com or speedyprep.com, but consider the REA book your college textbook and read the whole thing.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
Thank you for the input! I'm thinking of using a combination of instantcert and rea books (if I can afford it).

Anyone else have any input they can offer?
richie,
I can't speak for the micro-macro economics Cleps, because I didn't take them; however, I took 19 Clep & Dantes tests in the past year and I didn't know anything about most of the subjects.
I used IC, REA books, Peterson's, and SparkNotes.
What's great about IC is the availability of Specific Feedback for most of the tests. You won't find questions and answers, but you will find helpful suggestions on what to study.
Also, check free-clep-prep.com - Justin has some great input on most of the tests.
You've made a wise decision coming to this forum. Everyone has been helpful to me.
I started with 14 B&M credits in Nov. 2010 and I graduated from TESC with 120 credits Dec. 2011.
I couldn't have finished so quickly without the support, suggestions and guidance of this wonderful community.
Good luck and welcome!
Thank you very much, I really appreciate it! I've heard great things about this forum so that's why I came here, definitely like the vibe I'm getting
With TESC (and COSC/EC) you have a lot of options. As mentioned the specific exam feedback you can access here for $20 a month id really invaluable....those threads give you a feel for what to expect as well as what folks studied to pass the test. The IC flashcards are pretty great too.

Also do a search for straighterline...there are some classes there that might be of interest to you. TESC is a partner school of straighterline.

Good Luck!

Reb
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
You know when I was 18 way back in 1994 my mom told me to look into CLEPs. So I went to the student services center at my local university and asked for some information about them. The stupid info I read said nothing about learning the material through REA books and basically told me that I had to know all of the info and sit for the test cold. If I had just gone to the book store and picked up a REA book, I would probably have graduated years ago. Oh well.

You DONT need to know all this stuff prior. Just learn it from the REA book and you will be fine. I don't recommend using flashcards to learn, just drill. I find people want to jump into 2 hours of flash cards and then can't stop thinking "am I ready now? have I learned a whole semester of information in these 2 hours?" and I think that is ridiculous. Please read the book and then drill afterward to cement the knowledge.
Yea thats my plan, I'm gonna try to pick up some REA books and read through them, then use instantcert for a little bit more prep as well, and maybe find some other practice tests out there that I can take to test my readiness. Not sure if I'll have the money for all this but I'm hoping!

I'm not sure if CLEP or other such exams are for me yet, I'm kind of scared. don't really know why, I mean it's not like failing a test is gonna have any negative consequences. But idk, I feel like this could be a good opportunity for me and I'm gonna be disappointed if I find that it's not for me. But I guess I'll have to take that first test and see for myself!
I want to add, not to down the REA books, but I never used any of them. I generally did use a book for each exam, but I pretty much found the cheapest one I could find. Used Barron's review books, things of that nature. Normally the books wouldn't cost me anymore than 5 dollars shipped. Important if you're on a real tight budget. That, IC, and the specific feedback threads would be enough for me.

I also want to add that it took me on average around 20-25 hours to prepare for each test. I think that's adequate for most subjects, of course, your mileage may vary.
~Banta

Graduated 2/17/11: BS in Business, Concentration: General Business from Excelsior College

EXAMS/COURSES TAKEN: UB - Principles of Comm - C | UB - US History II - C | AS - Freshman Comp - C | CLEP Humanities - 70 | CLEP College Math - 66 | CLEP Bio - 70 | CLEP Psych - 74 | CLEP American Gov - 68 | CLEP Social Sciences - 73 | CLEP Microeconomics - 72 | CLEP Macroeconomics - 74 | CLEP Management - 72 | DSST Supervision - 457 | DSST HRM - 70 | DSST OB - 75 | ALEKS College Algebra - 78% | ALEKS Intro to Statistics - 71% | CSU Pueblo 311 MGMT - A | SL Accounting I - A | SL Accounting II - A | DSST Finance - 458 | DSST M&B - 63 | CLEP Intro Business Law - 71 | DSST Business Law II - 79 | CLEP Info Systems - 73 | DSST MIS - 481 | DSST Business Ethics - 458 | DSST Intro to Business - 461 | DSST Environment - 70 | CLEP Marketing - 71 | CLEP A&I - 73 | SL Sociology - 98% | SL Intro to Criminal Justice - 96% | SL Western Civ I - 92% | Excelsior BUS 495 - A

Degree plan.
There is nothing to fear if you have good practice tests. The REA practice tests are excellent indicators of your ability in the subject. Do something simple like princ of marketing first if you are worried. But don't try to walk in without having read the entire book and having done some practice tests. People do that and then wonder why they fail or just skate by with one or two points.
Those REA books are perfect since they are based on the CLEP exams and are not just general knowledge textbooks. They keep you on the straight path so that you don't focus on things that will not be tested.
DSST exams are different. There are no REA books for those, and you have to pick from a few general texts on the subject and study those.
20-25 hours is fine for a pass. My goal was to score 70-80 on every test so I did my best to overstudy for each. The marketing one, however only required a single read through the REA book and a couple of times through each practice test and I was ready. I completed my studying in a single weekend.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Major Study: Unproctored Online Exams Provide Meaningful Assessment Jonathan Whatley 0 371 11-16-2023, 02:48 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Exciting News at ENEB! Introducing test-type exams to fast-track your studie akr680 37 5,606 10-27-2023, 06:53 AM
Last Post: karehiro
  AP, CLEP, IB, vs others - Comparison/Example bjcheung77 0 505 08-11-2023, 12:12 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  AP, CLEP, etc - Credit Banking on Credly bjcheung77 2 1,841 09-02-2022, 12:16 PM
Last Post: vintage_jacket
  Anybody taken any certification exams (CPA, CIA, CFE, etc.)? kevinmane 9 2,402 08-21-2022, 11:19 PM
Last Post: lisarox
  combine CLEP & ACTFL? defmo 5 848 08-05-2022, 08:58 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  English 2 CLEP Jennr2z 6 1,306 05-25-2022, 10:02 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
Information New Batch of Microsoft Exams are now ACE(data, cloud, cs, UL) MNomadic 5 1,396 04-05-2022, 04:56 AM
Last Post: jch
  Prep for College Composition with Essay CLEP ? abs_co 3 1,639 11-11-2021, 07:39 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Cambridge International Exams - A Level or AS Level exams Lydclrk 1 717 09-17-2021, 06:07 PM
Last Post: nyvrem