Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Degree plan thoughts
Degree plan thoughts
My son is powering through his courses right now. He plans to graduate from NMJC or Central Texas College. After he graduates from high school he will apply with both and see where to go from there.

Completed since January 7th

SL -

3 - English Comp I
3 - English Comp II
3 - Nutrition

NMJC

4 - A&P I
4 - A&P II

ALEKS

3 - Intermediate Algebra

Currently signed up for to complete before fall

ALEKS

3 - College Algebra

NMJC (5/28-7/19)

4 - Microbiology
3 - American Government

PF

3 - Essentials of Psychology (5/20-7/19)
3 - Economics (7/19-8/20)
3 - Earth Science (7/19-8/20)
3 - Art (7/19-8/20)

Maybe CLEP Biology?

Fall 2013

NMJC

3 - Human Growth & Dev (8/20-12/12)
3 - American Lit. (8/20-10/11)
1 - Fitness for Life (8/20-10/11)

1 - Walking or Jogging (10/15-12/12)

PF

3 - Sociology (10/15-12/12)
3 - Computer Applications (10/15-12/12)

Winter Break Session

NMJC

3 - Interpersonal Communications (12/9-1/7)

Total - 55 credit hrs

Spring of 2014

Apply to schools and graduate with not much to go from somewhere...NMJC/CTC or other. He probably won't do the Big 3 because there is no use in paying money to get an associates degree with his goals. The community colleges don't really require much to graduate, so if he can make it work there he will do that.
Texas A&M - Commerce - BAAS summer 2023
California Coast University - BSBA 2008

Remember that he would have to take 25% of his degree at CTC in order to graduate from there. CTC said that they would accept ALEKS college algebra if you add the additional topics that aren't included with the course. I don't know how they would tell if you did that or not; but, from what I can tell, only institutions can add the additional topics. I don't know if you could contact ALEKS and have them do it for you. They said that precalculus would cover college algebra, but it would need the additional topics to count as precalculus. Statistics is fine as is.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:Remember that he would have to take 25% of his degree at CTC in order to graduate from there. CTC said that they would accept ALEKS college algebra if you add the additional topics that aren't included with the course. I don't know how they would tell if you did that or not; but, from what I can tell, only institutions can add the additional topics. I don't know if you could contact ALEKS and have them do it for you. They said that precalculus would cover college algebra, but it would need the additional topics to count as precalculus. Statistics is fine as is.

That I why we are leaning toward NMJC for now. CTC requires 16 credits from them for the general studies degree. He could do that in May. With NMJC her would be close to done depending on a few factors.

The one plus with CTC is that they graduate 3 times per year. He could graduate after the 2014 summer session if he needed to.

There could also be a plus with getting a Texas AS since we live here.

Does he plan on transferring to the Big 3 or going to a Texas university? A point that CLEP3705 always makes is that the core requirements transfer in whole from one public Texas college to another by law. If he's not going to do that, then it might not be worth the extra trouble trying to complete the degree at CTC. Is there a reason why you chose to continue with taking courses at NMJC?
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
sanantone Wrote:Does he plan on transferring to the Big 3 or going to a Texas university? A point that CLEP3705 always makes is that the core requirements transfer in whole from one public Texas college to another by law. If he's not going to do that, then it might not be worth the extra trouble trying to complete the degree at CTC. Is there a reason why you chose to continue with taking courses at NMJC?

He has been in a real grove with NMJC at this point. They have all of the courses that he needs for future goals.

We aren't against transferring to CTC. That isn't off the table at all. He plans to take the admission requirement that CTC requires after the summer session while he has some breathing room. So there is a chance that he could transfer to CTC in the fall or next spring.

The reason for the courses was that some of them cover the requirements to graduate High School as duel credits, some of them fulfill nursing prereqs and some of them fulfill the associates degree graduation requirements. So far NMJC has been the easiest and best option for him to be able to do this.

CTC does not offer an AS in general studies....only an AA.

As far as doing a degree in Texas - we do not know yet. At this point his goal is to get his AS and start nursing school next year.

It's not that hard to get an AS in Biology at CTC, but NMJC seems like it's working well for him. The AS in Biology is rather flexible. There are only 11 credits in the concentration. 8 of those can be knocked out with the biology CLEP and all you have left is 3 more credits in biology such as A&P, microbiology, or even environmental science. The rest of the degree is basically just your general AS. It has more science requirements than the AA. I was thinking about finishing the associate's, but changed my mind. They give 4-8 credits for almost all of the science CLEPs and DSSTs, which is enticing.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
sanantone Wrote:It's not that hard to get an AS in Biology at CTC, but NMJC seems like it's working well for him. The AS in Biology is rather flexible. There are only 11 credits in the concentration. 8 of those can be knocked out with the biology CLEP and all you have left is 3 more credits in biology such as A&P, microbiology, or even environmental science. The rest of the degree is basically just your general AS. It has more science requirements than the AA. I was thinking about finishing the associate's, but changed my mind. They give 4-8 credits for almost all of the science CLEPs and DSSTs, which is enticing.

Where did you read this? I looked at the website and only saw a few choices for DL.

The biology degree is not listed as a DL degree because CTC doesn't offer all of the required courses online, but you can still enroll in the program.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 28 5,949 Yesterday, 07:28 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 10 711 04-20-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 297 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
  Cheapest degree in graphic design? blablablox 10 683 03-30-2024, 12:44 PM
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 608 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 541 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 295 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 898 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,255 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM
  After getting the degree Harrynguyen 24 2,876 01-13-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: ArielB74