Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Georgetown Coursera Bachelors
(02-13-2024, 12:28 PM)mohelena02 Wrote: Admin and advising have been complete nightmares to be honest. It took my partner over six months to get his credits evaluated, he was already in his second semester. It is impossible to get an advising appointment, when my partner booked more than one the advisor told him he was taking space from others. 

The instructors have been incredible, all top quality, but the admin leaves much to be desired.
I decided to enroll at Villanova instead. I thought they had a better core curriculum which is identical as traditional undergrads at Villanova so I feel my program is more authentic. Also, my program has a lot more classes and subjects to choose from. Georgetown doesn’t seem like it had a lot of online choices for the BLS degree. My advisor is excellent and is always ready available who had a similar path as me and received her BA later in life. Villanova cps has 50/50 bachelors and graduate programs and is smaller so it seems more organized. I also like how my school is right on the main campus and seems to be more involved with main campus activities compared to Georgetown scs. Good luck to your partner with the rest of the program. I start at Nova August 23 2024.
(06-29-2023, 07:57 AM)collegecareerstudent Wrote: I think they just want more money. I don't think it makes sense to not be able to reuse credits from prior degrees. Also, I don't feel the credit calculation was correct. Several physical courses I took at the schools didn't apply to the degree I was studying directly and weren't applied to degree requirements. I think the person evaluating my transcripts forgot that, despite me showing them evidence months ago. That's another thing, because I decided to delay and start next summer after my Harvard terms, I was told I'd have to wait longer for an evaluation, 2 months later, yesterday, I got the email saying they'd only apply 15 credits toward the 64 transferrable. The communication was not the best for my taste, and when I did look through the classes and signing up, I felt the options were a bit lacking and you couldn't get every course you wanted.

Kab, I'm very sorry to sadden you with this news and the lack of progress. I hope that I can deliver happier news in the future if and when I revisit this program or another. However, I'm happy to let potential students know about this issue. They need to know.
This is my concern with this program. I applied hoping to get a great Catholic Jesuit inspired liberal arts education. It doesn’t seem like it has a solid core curriculum only 18 credits seems small. No religion requirement either in the core which is odd for a Catholic university.  I fear that they won’t have enough courses for me to pick from and lack of philosophy and theology from a Catholic perspective. I was admitted to this program and to a similar program at Villanova cps online. I like Villanova’s core and class options better. It’s also been around for 11 years online as opposed to Georgetown scs first year online bachelors. Villanova CPS administration and advising has been amazing.
Oops, pasted in the other thread, should have been this thread: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid415308
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(11-19-2022, 08:39 PM)collegecareerstudent Wrote:
(11-19-2022, 03:15 AM)nomaduser Wrote:
(11-19-2022, 03:13 AM)collegecareerstudent Wrote: Not really. The diploma just says Georgetown University. Most schools don't print their sub schools within a University system.

I don't think 'School of Continuing Education' and 'School of Professional Studies' are seen as normal undergraduate departments.
They're much easier to get in. They typically have very low tuition fees. I think they're made for working adults.

The degree is still fairly pricely. If you transfer 64 credits, you're still paying 22k out of pocket cost, which is about the same I paid for my state school degree for undergrad from a non-continuing education department. I think we're going to see the trend continue and professional studies schools becoming more popular than traditional paths. Non traditional students are expected to be the top university demographic from 2030+.  To me, a Georgetown degree is a Georgetown degree.  While it's true, this program is geared toward working adults, I'm sure the school will accept degree holders who are interested in an additional degree.

With the right emphasis on networking, advising, and taking full advantage of the education opportunities, this is a huge opportunity.
The advising and administration is terrible

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 298 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Prompt Engineering Course by Vanderbilt University on Coursera LevelUP 2 357 03-23-2024, 05:28 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Coursera Certs Offline natshar 4 395 03-10-2024, 12:03 PM
  Coursera & Edx - Peer Reviewed Assignments bjcheung77 7 1,097 01-09-2024, 12:01 PM
Last Post: gulshan212
  15 Worst Bachelors - Student Loan Dept bjcheung77 9 878 12-31-2023, 02:45 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Coursera Plus for $1/month... Expires Sept 21, 2023 bjcheung77 7 1,266 11-22-2023, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Second bachelors for my sister? IceSparkle 22 1,548 09-18-2023, 12:35 AM
Last Post: midnite123
Information Coursera Bachelor of Science in Computer Science for $4k! nomaduser 19 4,126 09-16-2023, 06:32 PM
  Coursera, Udemy & LinkedIn Learning ss20ts 6 2,163 06-12-2023, 11:51 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  New course from Coursera Imbanewbie 3 898 05-13-2023, 03:34 PM
Last Post: HVzR5