Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Natural Sciences or Biology - Possible?
Hello. This is my first thread - I have done a lot of searches on this, but still have a few questions.

Background: just starting out taking general cheap and free classes - have 36 credits completed so far.

I really want to pursue Environmental Science or Biology, but it looks like this is hard to do. Excelsior has Natural Sciences, and TESU has Biology, but I am not sure there are enough classes to be found online to satisfy the requirements. Also, I realize that graduate schools may not accept you if you didn't take labs in person. (Is it possible to take just the labs at a local CC and be alright?)

TESU has BALS with concentration in Natural Sciences/Mathematics but I am not sure this degree will hold weight with employers in the field...

I may be able to take a couple classes through the school's online courses, but obviously trying to save as much money that I don't have as possible. Unfortunately I am allergic to business and tech stuff, and my other passions (History, Religion, culture Anthropology) are about as good as firestarters, so Ive heard. Some might have the same objections with Env Sci, idk...

If anybody has gone this route with Biology or Natural Sciences, I would love to hear some tips, maybe this will help others too.
Thanks a bunch Exclamation
-Dan
TESU BSBA Gen Mgmt  sh: 120 (Complete)
Saylor (9): Env Eth, Mor & Pol Phil, Corp Com
OnlineDegree (18): Int Ast, Mod His, Int Psych, Microecon, Mark, Bio
Sophia (6 3): Con Res (1), Teams (1), SS (1), Gr Phil
CLEP (15): Int Soc, Mgmt, Comp (6), Gov't
CSM Learn (3): CSM
Institutes (2): Ethics (2)
TEEX (10 5): CYB101, CYB201, CYB301
Study.com (61 58): W Civ I, W Civ II, Rel 101, Pres Skills, Int Bus, Glob & Int Mgmt, Macroecon, Int to Computers, Fin Acct, Man Acct, Bus Law, Int E-Com, Col Alg, Precalc Alg (4), Int Ent, Princ Fin, SB Fin, SB Mgmt, Dig Mark, W Art His I, Fin Mgmt
TESU (9): SOS-110, Intro to Islam, Capstone
Sanantone found more inexpensive science courses through Logan University and there are many self-paced courses with labs at UNE.

Personally I think the NSM would not be considered nearly the same. Or COSC's concentration in Biology. TESU also has Environmental Studies, but that is not the same as Environmental Science.

I think Biology generally takes longer to complete than ES. American Public University has Environmental Science. It is not self-paced.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • Dan A Million
(05-20-2019, 12:19 AM)Ideas Wrote: Sanantone found more inexpensive science courses through Logan University and there are many self-paced courses with labs at UNE.

Personally I think the NSM would not be considered nearly the same. Or COSC's concentration in Biology. TESU also has Environmental Studies, but that is not the same as Environmental Science.

I think Biology generally takes longer to complete than ES. American Public University has Environmental Science. It is not self-paced.

Thanks for the reply!
Ah, yes I forgot to mention the Env Studies degree - yeah the problem is its not a science degree... It would be cool to be an activist but Id rather have a science degree first.

I am still a bit confused about labs - thats good to know that Logan U has cheaper science courses than Excelsior/TESU (Im assuming thats what you mean), but I thought most grad schools want the labs in person - bricknmortar style... (Im in Seattle, so...)

Good to know about American Public U, with 90 transfer in credits, that leaves only 30 to take there at 270 per credit thats like 8 grand. Sounds like thats just a few more grand than an average transfer-in degree from TESU or Excelsior?
Study.com (61 58): W Civ I, W Civ II, Rel 101, Pres Skills, Int Bus, Glob & Int Mgmt, Macroecon, Int to Computers, Fin Acct, Man Acct, Bus Law, Int E-Com, Col Alg, Precalc Alg (4), Int Ent, Princ Fin, SB Fin, SB Mgmt, Dig Mark, W Art His I, Fin Mgmt
Well, depends on the school. Some medical schools will even take online labs (especially through a good place like UNE). But are you looking at a competitive grad school? Then generally you will want to avoid online labs.

Sometimes pre-med students take their labs at community colleges and explain to the admissions officer that they did it to save money. However, they will be suspected of doing it to boost their GPA.

What you said about the cost sounds right.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • Dan A Million
Ok cool. I am not necessarily trying to get into a competitive grad school, I am just trying to look out for my future if I do decide to go to grad school. I have read that this issue has deterred people from pursuing an online degree in sciences and health for that reason.

I would love to hear from somebody who has successfully gone this route, however I am not sure that person exists on this forum...
I'm currently on the same path as you right now
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

[-] The following 1 user Likes ROYISAGIRL's post:
  • Dan A Million
Thumbs Up 
(05-20-2019, 01:57 AM)ROYISAGIRL Wrote: I'm currently on the same path as you right now

Good to hear. How far along are you? Have you found a program that works for you?

American Public University will accept 90 transfer in credits, but only 60 of them can be "non-traditional." So that would mean something more like $16,000 than 8...
Does anybody know of schools with online classes who take more than that?

From their website:
https://www.apu.apus.edu/admissions/tran...raditional

"90 academic credits toward a bachelor’s degree (up to 60 non-traditional credits)"

"“Non-traditional” transfer credits are those earned based on assessment, competency testing (i.e. CLEP or ACE exams), prior learning experience, military occupations, or industry training courses."
I had to choose which programs were the best for what I needed. Right now TESU's Environmental Studies and Excelsior's Natural science with bio concentration meets the needs of the program I'm trying to get into at a later time. APUS can be a little weird with that, but I think in my case when I initially chose them that military credits seem to be treated a little differently.
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

[-] The following 1 user Likes ROYISAGIRL's post:
  • Dan A Million
I see. So you are still trying to decide between the 3 schools then?
No I couldn't decide between TESU and Excelsior so I'm doing both. Sounds a little crazy but the Environmental courses from Excelsior transfer over to TESU. So it kind of balances out.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  International University of Applied Sciences (IU) acquires University of Fredericton. bjcheung77 0 559 07-01-2023, 01:39 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  IU Applied Sciences - 50% off tuition until July 14 (online programs) bjcheung77 0 1,130 06-30-2022, 01:50 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Looking for an RA Online Biology II w Lab Fountains of Roses 10 1,629 02-06-2021, 11:42 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Cheap and Fast Online Biology Degrees mgmar22 2 1,679 01-09-2021, 07:53 AM
Last Post: elenlushk
  Is the Straighterline Biology Lab Kit Reusalble or Consumable? JaronB34 1 1,284 10-25-2020, 07:08 PM
Last Post: Lydclrk
  What to do with my post-bacc sciences and a word about them (med school).. MSK9 32 6,829 09-09-2019, 07:53 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Biology/Natural Sciences major—transferring into the Big 3 wow 10 2,005 09-08-2019, 12:45 PM
Last Post: wow
  Best for Federal Biology jobs? bethanyneedsajob 8 1,764 08-03-2019, 07:06 PM
Last Post: bethanyneedsajob
  How should I study for the biology CLEP? trus 7 2,582 06-05-2019, 08:25 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Social Sciences and History CLEP Aubs 10 2,788 05-28-2019, 06:21 PM
Last Post: TexasTink