Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Journey - TESU BA Computer Science
I won't graduate with the BSBA until March, but I've been planning. I feel sure that I will do this degree, barring some bigger unexpected thing in my life.

I am hoping to pay only one residency waiver which I believe means that I must complete all the Comp Sci requirements by the end of Dec (but they give leeway of 2-5 weeks). Since I can't start until April I believe (I don't think you can start in the month you graduate), that gives me only about 9 months.

What makes it more complicated is I have other goals to work on simultaneously. I think I've calculated how much time I need to allot to each goal, and I think I can do this.

My plan is obviously based on information gathered on this forum.

I already have Calculus I, Management Info Systems, and Introduction to Computers. I will be doing 24 or 27 more new credits, depending on whether the capstone counts in the 24 new credits requirement. I think it does count.

I need 15 besides the capstone to be UL, but MIS is already UL. So I only need 12 UL. This is one problem I have not solved yet. I plan to take these UL, but I am missing the fourth.

- Saylor Software Engineering
- CSU-Global CBE Systems Analysis & Design
- DSST Fundamentals of Cybersecurity (I have some prior knowledge)

I will take Calc II at Straighterline. I am dreading this, but I have done Calc II before.

I want to take Discrete Math and Data Structures at a community college. I may have to go with a 4-year school for Discrete Math. I would rather not, because I'm trying to attend fewer schools because I have so many schools already, and so I can get loans. Apparently federal loans can only be sent to 1 school per semester. However this may be one of the cheapest ways to fulfill the UL requirement.

I would like to take Saylor CS402: Computer Communications and Networks if TESU will count it in the AOS. This is almost definitely LL at TESU.

There is also Saylor CS102: Introduction to Computer Science II, and I wonder if it can count as an elective. (I already have CS101, mentioned above.)

Assuming at least one of those Saylors does not work, that leaves 1 elective. I would gladly take Intro and/or Intermediate Java Programming at a community college, but I'm not sure if I can time everything properly to make use of loans, and not have to repeat studying.

Minor edits above. Edited to Add:

I'm not sure, but I believe the CS degree needs one less course than many people think it needs. Because the programming courses are usually 4 credit and many students will have 3 of them. However, if I have two of them, that might work too. I would only need 1 more credit instead of 3. I'm not sure, but think that TESU might allow one of the Discrete Math credits to "move down" to the electives section. They might not since it's the Area of Study, but it's only electives and Discrete Math is part of the area of study.

Unfortunately CS courses tend to cost a lot because of being 4 credits.

Edited to Add:

I believe that the latest I could enroll in the capstone is October 1st, so I'm trying to finish the cc classes by Sept, because of the student loan issue.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • slmartin
I have heard (but am not sure) that the Residency Waiver is only good for 2 degrees if you're going from an AA to a BA. So a 2nd BA after a BS would not count there, and you'd have to pay it again. You may want to find that out.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Yenisei
(11-08-2017, 12:28 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I have heard (but am not sure) that the Residency Waiver is only good for 2 degrees if you're going from an AA to a BA.  So a 2nd BA after a BS would not count there, and you'd have to pay it again.  You may want to find that out.

Yeah nobody seems to know, even most of their employees. I'm not sure I can find out for sure until I enroll again (after March), because I feel like anything they say now won't be something they're held to, even if they did tell me good news. I did ask twice but the person kind of ignored the question. 

I may try again, but it doesn't actually change my plans: If I find out the waiver has to be paid again, it may slow me down by 6-12 months, but I'll still be glad I worked toward the degree.

Remember, courses for the 24 new credits needed for the 2nd degree can't be earned before your first degree is conferred. Also, most programming language classes are LL. I don't think you'll find many UL courses that are more than 3 credits. I'm not sure that if you take both Discrete Math and Linear Alg, one of them will be put in AOS electives, but I would think so. Lin Alg. can be definitely one of your UL courses.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • Ideas
(11-08-2017, 05:08 PM)davewill Wrote: Remember, courses for the 24 new credits needed for the 2nd degree can't be earned before your first degree is conferred. Also, most programming language classes are LL. I don't think you'll find many UL courses that are more than 3 credits. I'm not sure that if you take both Discrete Math and Linear Alg, one of them will be put in AOS electives, but I would think so. Lin Alg. can be definitely one of your UL courses.

Yeah, I said I can't start until April, grr, but... that's only if I'm trying to do the least amount of coursework. I might get started by doing one of the longer classes beforehand, if I can take something quick later on toward the 24 new credits, like the CS102 from Saylor. Or I'm unsure if many other cc classes would count toward CS, but there's at least one course where I have prior hands-on knowledge (but doesn't seem like a waste since I'd fill in gaps in my knowledge and build confidence, although that is possible through self-study too). It feels even trickier trying to get started sooner, but it might allow the loans to work out better.

Thanks. Interesting about UL programming courses and 3 cr values.

I am trying to avoid Lin Alg, but it's good to know it exists Smile I think I will have to go with UL Discrete Math for around $800. Hopefully, a course which can be done in 5-8 weeks at most. Self-paced would be nice, but I want something on the cheaper side. I hope $800 is enough to get me this course.

By the way, if SolarKat sees this or anyone else wonders, I am trying to do the minimum (or only 1-2 extra to save money and time), but after making the graduation deadline, I would be doing more CS courses and self-study.

Discrete math is LL at TESU and I think it's going to be considering LL no matter where you transfer it from.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(11-08-2017, 09:23 PM)davewill Wrote: Discrete math is LL at TESU and I think it's going to be considering LL no matter where you transfer it from.

Oh no Sad (In other threads, it was suggested that we do UL Discrete Math.)

I wonder if I should do LL Discrete Math plus Computer Architecture from a non-cc. CA is UL at TESU. Can you tell me anything about the difficulty of CA? It seems pretty interesting, but not too practical?

I don't know if it's in your plan, but StraighterLine's Intro to Programming in C++ course is the cheapest 4 credit Computer Science course you'll ever find anywhere.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nixi's post:
  • Yenisei
(11-08-2017, 09:33 PM)Nixi Wrote: I don't know if it's in your plan, but StraighterLine's Intro to Programming in C++ course is the cheapest 4 credit Computer Science course you'll ever find anywhere.

It's in my "if I have to" list at this point Smile My main problem is finding UL credits, and the other problem is having something quick as my final new credits (if I do extra credits).

For me, I don't think their course will be too quick. But perhaps not too slow. Do you know how long it might take someone who has no C++ experience but has done another lang?

Edited to Add:

COS-451 Artificial Intelligence at TESU would be fun. Too bad I have to watch the budget. Maybe I can find something like that for under $900.

TESU's description of Computer Architecture doesn't sound as fun as the other school's. I see TESU's Operating Systems course is also UL. I think I would rather take DBMS than either of those.

With DBMS I think I might use what I learn, and I have a little background. So DBMS seems likely to be my final UL, if I find a non-cc courses cheaper than an non-cc AI course.

Edited to Add:

I wonder about doing PLA through LearningCounts to save money and to gain flexibility of scheduling. I think it would be more fun being self-guided, although I know I have to cover about the same material. I feel like it would be pretty hard for me to PLA a programming course, but the AI course seems really fun if that's allowed.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • slmartin
(11-08-2017, 09:23 PM)davewill Wrote: Discrete math is LL at TESU and I think it's going to be considering LL no matter where you transfer it from.

Davewill, could you tell me more about PLA for CS courses? Are they ok with giving the 4th lab credit since they can see the labwork (working code, screenshots of it working)? I'm still interested if I only get 3 credits.

If the money weren't considered, do you have an opinion on just taking the cc class instead of making a portfolio? If I knew the course material (only the course material), is that enough for approval? I think I would learn the same amount or more through an MOOC and other self-study. If time weren't a factor, I would just do the cc course.

In my case I would go through LearningCounts to save money, but I think that what you know about TESU PLA can apply. What I would like to PLA is Java Programming, and then consider doing a second PLA course.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 16 2,333 Yesterday, 11:51 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 526 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 7 455 04-08-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: PLEX
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 478 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Has someone transferred Study.com science corses with labs and correctly transfered etwelding2019 2 321 04-04-2024, 10:10 AM
  TESU TECEP® APS-1000-TE Medical Terminology emmaya 6 259 04-02-2024, 10:56 PM
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 21 1,231 04-01-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  BSN Grant opportunity at TESU indigoshuffle 2 233 03-31-2024, 01:38 AM
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 375 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM
  ASNSM in Computer Science and TEEX Cybersecurity? Shorn27 2 430 03-18-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: rachel83az