Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Modern States: At 60... & ICYMI...
Embracing new beginnings to achieve a dream career

At an age when a lot of people have retirement as their goal, General Parker is realizing a deferred dream: earning his college degree and becoming a lawyer.

Over four decades ago, Parker, now 60, earned three college credits but didn’t finish his degree. Fast forward to 2023, he was ready to try his hand at it again.

After discovering Modern States and completing over a dozen of our courses, he took and passed 16 credit-bearing CLEP exams, saving him over $40,000 in tuition costs!

Despite only starting in January of this year, he is on track to graduate with his bachelor's degree in October and will be off to law school in the next semester. “They not only saved me money, but my personal integrity as well; I was really losing myself,” Parker said. “Now I have a chance to be me, and be the lawyer I should have been years ago.”

Learn more about his journey here. https://modernstates.org/news/meet-general-parker/

ICYMI: Meet Modern States’ new executive director

Earlier this summer, Modern States welcomed Dr. Jefferson Pestronk as executive director. He will work alongside Modern States’ CEO and founder, Steve Klinsky, and succeeds David Vise, who will serve as senior advisor.

“I am excited to bring our free courses to even more learners and educators across the country,” said Pestronk. “I firmly believe in the organization’s mission of making a college education accessible and affordable.”

Pestronk has nearly two decades of experience working in education at the local, state and federal level. Most recently, he served as vice president for strategy and development at New Visions for Public Schools, one of the largest non-profit organizations focused on improving public education for all New York City students.

Pestronk is looking forward to continuing the work that Vise began and wishes him all the best in his new role as senior advisor and a board member.

Check out more on Pestronk here. https://modernstates.org/news/modern-sta...-director/
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 2 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • harrypotter, Pach
(08-28-2023, 10:35 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: After discovering Modern States and completing over a dozen of our courses, he took and passed 16 credit-bearing CLEP exams, saving him over $40,000 in tuition costs!

Okay, so 16 exams works out to be about 48 credits. $40k / 48 credits = $833/credit. Add on another 15 credits for some exams that are worth 6 credits. 63 credits. $40k / 48 credits = $634/credit. https://www.umgc.edu/transfers-and-credi...-exam/clep

But standard out-of-state undergrad tuition rates are about $500/credit. https://www.umgc.edu/tuition-financial-a...ce/tuition $40k would be about 80 credits. I'm not sure if there's a way to get anywhere near that many with 16 exams and a standard degree program.

I hate when people exaggerate like this. MS & CLEP exams are good enough without needing to do this. Saving $24k-$32k. is already a huge amount of money.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • Gracieflores27
I don't think they're exaggerating anything, I don't know how exactly he did things, but seems he's on track. I believe he did a few that are 6 credits for the CLEP exams out of those 16. He knows to transfer/max out the requirements, so, who knows where/what other details are missing that complete the entire picture. If he's a member of this board and reading, good luck on your journey to law school!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I want Modern States to be in every student’s wheelhouse bjcheung77 0 392 09-28-2023, 11:36 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  50 States - Average cost of college 2023 bjcheung77 1 407 08-16-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  More than a third of community college students have vanished in the United States JPN 18 2,168 04-12-2023, 01:27 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Free College Is Now a Reality in Nearly 30 States LevelUP 13 1,583 04-14-2022, 09:16 AM
Last Post: uncapentin
  Modern States: Mention of TESU+WGU (DF member?) bjcheung77 2 961 10-28-2021, 05:28 PM
Last Post: GizmoJack
  What's ICYMI? bjcheung77 3 895 05-18-2021, 07:35 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  States refuse to fund higher ed? List from top to bottom Life Long Learning 13 1,758 10-05-2020, 04:24 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Help - Modern States Question evsimoian 7 4,774 06-18-2020, 10:09 AM
Last Post: Giantzebra
  In-state tuition at NMJC through WUE (for residents of some Western states) wow 3 1,501 01-14-2020, 11:29 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Modern State web page down? jdfan14 2 1,223 09-03-2019, 05:42 PM
Last Post: jdfan14