Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minimum and maximum completion rates at Excelsior College
For a student in the Bachelor of Science in Liberal Studies program, do these apply only to online courses taken at Excelsior after enrollment, and Excelsior exams taken after enrollment? Do these rates only matter for those seeking financial aid in this program?

Suppose one were to take a lot of CLEPs after enrollment, and fail them. Would these CLEPs count towards hours attempted since enrollment at Excelsior and factor in for satisfactory academic progress? Is satisfactory academic progress as defined here only important for financial aid?

If one after enrollment only takes exams and courses at other colleges, there would be no EC GPA right?

If one were to take ECE exams and ECE courses before enrollment, would these count for EC GPA after enrollment?

If one were to drop a course as a student in the Bachelor of Science in Liberal Studies program, and fell below minimum completion rate for that term, would this only affect their financial aid legibility and therefore be irrelevant if one is not seeking financial aid?
I don't think I understand your questions, but you may be able to find some answers in the Student Policy Handbook. It is available through the Downloadable Documents link at the bottom of EC pages.

I don't know very much about the financial aid process. I don't know what Minimum and Maximum completion rates are.

Unlike most colleges, EC does transfer all of your grades (not failures) from outside sources and uses them to calculate a GPA. They also calculate a separate GPA for EC-related grades only. See the Handbook for more details.
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
Hey NAP, thanks for your reply.
lost-in-translation Wrote:Suppose one were to take a lot of CLEPs after enrollment, and fail them. Would these CLEPs count towards hours attempted since enrollment at Excelsior and factor in for satisfactory academic progress? Is satisfactory academic progress as defined here only important for financial aid?

I know for a fact that CLEPs taken after enrollment just transfer right over. They arent a factor in satisfactory academic progress in terms of GPA, they are pass/fail, but in terms of continuing to make progress then yes. The student handbook may answer that, but for financial aid I dont think they count toward credit hour requirements in that regard. Not quite sure.

lost-in-translation Wrote:If one after enrollment only takes exams and courses at other colleges, there would be no EC GPA right?

It depends. If you have a course taken at a local community college and it has a GPA, when it transfers to EC you will get the same grade for it (provided its a C or higher, or it wont transfer at all). If you look at the credit by exam guide, it also outlines which exams (DSST/ECE etc) count for letter grades and what the scoring needs to be. There are some exceptions like Straighterline courses.

lost-in-translation Wrote:If one were to take ECE exams and ECE courses before enrollment, would these count for EC GPA after enrollment?
Yes they count toward your GPA

lost-in-translation Wrote:If one were to drop a course as a student in the Bachelor of Science in Liberal Studies program, and fell below minimum completion rate for that term, would this only affect their financial aid legibility and therefore be irrelevant if one is not seeking financial aid?

Probably. I think thats only for the financial aid requirement, i'm pretty sure you could take any number (even zero) classes as long as you keep paying the $495 per year you stay enrolled in your degree program.

I would ask an advisor there, who you should have access to after you pay for enrollment, or possibly if you call over there after you've applied and had your initial review.
Thanks bkahuna!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Charter Oak (COSC) maximum credits from one source nosey561 1 1,699 08-30-2018, 10:39 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Study.com College Credits UnbreakablyDetermined 2 1,855 08-27-2018, 05:44 PM
Last Post: allvia
  TESU BSBA GM Completion Timeline dexter1326 9 2,299 08-07-2018, 09:23 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Excelsior HR Degree Progress glgamerica 6 1,833 07-31-2018, 10:44 PM
  Excelsior: ALEKS Beginning Algebra duplicates ... bluebooger 13 3,178 07-26-2018, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Exfactor
  Excelsior College 47th Annual Commencement - 12 Year Old Graduate Life Long Learning 16 4,941 07-26-2018, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 1 1,295 07-20-2018, 11:10 AM
Last Post: hsfamfun
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 0 965 07-19-2018, 02:06 PM
Last Post: homeschoolmom1
  Excelsior annual fees homeschoolmom1 1 1,268 07-14-2018, 11:27 PM
Photo Shmoop Excelsior Evaluations In ReyMysterioso 0 1,778 06-27-2018, 10:20 AM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso