Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Math 107: Quantitative Literacy or Math 97: Intro to Mathematical Reasoning
According to my TESU evaluation, I need 3 more classes for my BALS. I'm down to my capstone, one upper level AOS, and <cue dramatic music> the required quantitative literacy class.  As a die-hard math phobe, I've been struggling for a year with which math course or test to take and how to best prepare for it. I've bought books, started but not finished classes, and mostly just stressed about the whole thing. I'm ready to just somehow get this requirement done, by any means necessary.

My first question is with the two Study.com classes in the subject line. Has anyone taken both and can give me some feedback? Is one significantly easier than the other for certain learners?  And would Stats (either study or SL) be a better option?  

And I'd also like to know more about the CLEP and TECEP options, and how difficult they are to prepare for if you've not had college algebra in a few decades.  I've heard on this board that the TECEP is relatively easy to prepare for and pass. Other opinions or reviews?  

The tough thing for me is that I have been reading about and interested in most areas of the liberal arts, humanities, sciences,and social sciences independently for most of my life. So, most of the 111 credit hours I accumulated over the last year were just 'brushing up' and submitting projects (SNHU) or taking competency tests / final exams. Classes usually took a few days (or occasionally weeks) at most. That doesn't work so well for math, at least not for me.

Sorry for the longish post - thanks for reading!
TESU: BALS Capstone
SNHU CfA: Intro to Ethics, Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, Argumentation & Communication, Intro to Mass Communications, Intro to Philosophy, World Lit I, Environmental Science, Business Communication, Principles of Management, Online Success, Skills for Business 
CLEP: Eng Comp 
Sophia.org: Effective Teams, Managing Conflict, Ancient Greek Philosophers
Study.com: Personal Finance, Presentation Skills, Info Literacy, Intro to Computing, Earth Science, A History of Vietnam War, Intro to Political Science, American Government, Database Management, Info Systems, Physical Geology
CSM Learn: The CSM Course
TEEX: Cybersecurity 101 
Shmoop: History of Technology, Human Sexuality, U.S. History I & II, Classical Lit, The Bible as Lit, Psychology 101, Shakespeare's Plays, Professional Writing, Media Literacy, Journalism 101, Lit in the Media, Intro to E-Commerce
The Institutes: Ethics
TECEP: Computer Concepts and Applications
ALEKS: College Algebra
I went through a similar situation recently having not used any algebra in almost 25 years and then having to relearn it.   

It was an unpleasant experience to say the least.    I took Math 97 on Study.com and although it took some time to get through, as all Study.com courses seem to, It was not soo bad.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jimmy999's post:
  • badooble
The Applied Liberal Arts Math TECEP was a good one for ease, and not a ton of Algebra - maybe Algebra I at most, lots of everyday life math. The DSST is probably similar, although I don't know since I didn't take it.

If you do the TECEP, don't bother with the textbook, since it's TERRIBLE. Just study the material another way, like Khan Academy.

Also, stats is going to be WAY harder than the math courses you're asking about. WAY harder.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • badooble, Zippadeedoodah
I was finally able to get over 70% on ALEKS College Algebra. So glad that's over!  I was over half done with Math 102 on Study but it was slow going and hard to stay motivated. ALEKS wasn't fun, but it's done. Thanks everyone for the advice and support.  

Now just one more upper level course and the Capstone.  Seeing the finish line feels good.
TESU: BALS Capstone
SNHU CfA: Intro to Ethics, Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, Argumentation & Communication, Intro to Mass Communications, Intro to Philosophy, World Lit I, Environmental Science, Business Communication, Principles of Management, Online Success, Skills for Business 
CLEP: Eng Comp 
Sophia.org: Effective Teams, Managing Conflict, Ancient Greek Philosophers
Study.com: Personal Finance, Presentation Skills, Info Literacy, Intro to Computing, Earth Science, A History of Vietnam War, Intro to Political Science, American Government, Database Management, Info Systems, Physical Geology
CSM Learn: The CSM Course
TEEX: Cybersecurity 101 
Shmoop: History of Technology, Human Sexuality, U.S. History I & II, Classical Lit, The Bible as Lit, Psychology 101, Shakespeare's Plays, Professional Writing, Media Literacy, Journalism 101, Lit in the Media, Intro to E-Commerce
The Institutes: Ethics
TECEP: Computer Concepts and Applications
ALEKS: College Algebra

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,911 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  Any good self-paced option for math such as Calculus II? zcao15 3 1,021 06-11-2023, 02:58 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Sophia - Intro to Chemistry Lab now Available! ashkir 1 635 04-03-2023, 07:59 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Sophia Intro to Chemistry Lab course difficulty level EducationSeeker 6 1,262 01-09-2023, 11:33 PM
Last Post: EducationSeeker
  Study.com question - Biology 101L: Intro to Biology with Lab Mr T 6 1,518 12-31-2022, 05:27 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Study.com Math 108: Discrete Mathematics - Optional Quiz and final exam Titan_s 5 2,131 11-11-2022, 10:13 AM
Last Post: simonbellfi
  Sophia - Intro to Python/Java Programming to TESU AllThose299s 4 1,205 11-03-2022, 01:31 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Sophia - Intro to Ethics ss20ts 25 6,332 09-15-2022, 08:12 PM
Last Post: RhondaG
  New Sophia Course: Intro to Career Readiness - 1cr LL MNomadic 0 507 09-11-2022, 02:06 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Need 12 Math Credits - Please Help (and read :) ) acamp 48 8,954 07-08-2022, 08:47 PM
Last Post: creationstory