Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MOOCs: Are they a huge letdown?
I think MOOCs are great for learning things for fun or learning skills that don't require proof by way of a credential, but I'm disappointed in the business model the biggest MOOC providers have adopted. Coursera and Udacity didn't even try with their ACE courses, and edX only offers three ACE-approved courses with limited sessions. I haven't really seen any evidence that their verified certificates, nanodegrees, or MicroMasters programs are valued by employers justifying the cost. The MicroMasters programs aren't worth any college credits unless you're admitted to a specific program at a specific school, and most of their partner schools aren't all that cheap. In many cases, the MOOC credentials are just a little cheaper than earning real college credits directly from a college at the undergraduate level. In many cases, their verified certificates are around the same price or more expensive than ACE/NCCRS credits. 

Coursera has stopped offering free certificates (there is financial aid if you're poor). Most of EdX's new courses do not offer the free, honor code certificates. Most of Coursera's non-credit-bearing, verified certificates are $49, which isn't too bad, but I'm not sure if they're worth anything. Some edX certificates are $49-69. I've seen a lot that are $99 and even some that are $199. At those prices, I could earn actual college credits through a company with ACE or NCCRS-evaluated courses. I could also use that money to earn industry-recognized certifications. Why should I pay $199 for an edX course in computer science when I can just earn an IT certification? 

I feel as if Coursera, Udacity, Udemy, and EdX have marketing on their side. A lot of people know about these companies/organizations. I feel as if not nearly as many know about Straighterline, Study.com, Davar, Shmoop, Ed4Credit, etc. If they have heard of the ACE and NCCRS course providers, they likely don't understand how they work with them not being accredited colleges. With all this money that some might be spending on verified certificates, they could be earning more wide-recognized college degrees or undergraduate certificates.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 2 users Like sanantone's post:
  • a2jc4life, Joeman200
I 100% agree!

The only MOOCs I even like is the Australian "Open 2 Study" (O2S) with a FREE Certificates and Transcript.
https://www.open2study.com/courses
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

(09-18-2017, 10:01 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote: I 100% agree!

The only MOOCs I even like is the Australian "Open 2 Study" (O2S) with a FREE Certificates and Transcript.  

I came across Open 2 Study yesterday when searching for free certificates. Alison and Saylor also have open certificates. I don't really care for Alison's course offerings, and Saylor has cut many of their courses. The reason why I focus on certificates so much is because, if you want to earn credits by PLA, your school might require a certificate of completion to prove that you did the work in the MOOC.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • a2jc4life
I do like that ModernStates is based on EdX. That is at least one method of using a MOOC to attain college credits, at least until their vouchers run out. Again, this is also one of the lesser known resources that needs to be screamed from the mountaintops Undecided
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

[-] The following 2 users Like quigongene's post:
  • greencouch, Ideas
I agree - they haven't lived up to the hype, at least not yet. I think they're still trying to figure out how to actually monetize it, so that they can create good courses, without charging students as much as the colleges are. Right now, they are cheaper than most schools, but the end product isn't worth much.

I think if you compare them to colleges, they MAY be a better deal, and at least you can go out and learn stuff on your own. But, if you compare them to the course providers you listed, then they come across lacking.

But only people like us would know that (those of us on this forum).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(09-18-2017, 10:18 PM)sanantone Wrote:
(09-18-2017, 10:01 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote: I 100% agree!

I came across Open 2 Study yesterday when searching for free certificates. Alison and Saylor also have open certificates. I don't really care for Alison's course offerings, and Saylor has cut many of their courses. The reason why I focus on certificates so much is because, if you want to earn credits by PLA, your school might require a certificate of completion to prove that you did the work in the MOOC.

I agree!  I think O2S is the only ones with a transcript with grades and Certificate (you print out the two pages).  I have taken about 12 total.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

You can use them if you are developing a portfolio, they can turn into credit.
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
(09-19-2017, 01:16 AM)videogamesrock Wrote: You can use them if you are developing a portfolio, they can turn into credit.

I mention that above, but if I have to pay over $99 for a certificate on top of the portfolio assessment fees, I am not using a MOOC for a PLA.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
(09-19-2017, 02:23 AM)sanantone Wrote:
(09-19-2017, 01:16 AM)videogamesrock Wrote: You can use them if you are developing a portfolio, they can turn into credit.

I mention that above, but if I have to pay over $99 for a certificate on top of the portfolio assessment fees, I am not using a MOOC for a PLA.

Probably the wrong thread, but how do those PLAs actually work? Do they just charge you $$$, verify that you actually got the experience or education, make you write a short summary paper, and give you credit?
Master of Business Administration, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Management & Team Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in International Trade, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Supply Chain Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Project Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2023

BS Information Technology, Western Governors University, 2017
AAS Cybersecurity, Community College, 2017
FEMA Emergency Management Certificate, 2017
Fundraising Specialization Certificate, Berkeley/Haas, 2020

Undergraduate Credits: 165 Semester Credits
Graduate Credits: 105 ECTS (52.5 Semester Credits)
Yea pretty much. In a PLA you list what you learned and provide proof such as your certificate. So for example I took some finance courses through coursera and petitioned this as generic finance courses such as self study.
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A Decade of MOOCs Alpha 2 705 09-04-2022, 09:47 PM
Last Post: SteveFoerster
  Ivy League MOOCS MrWileyCoyote 3 1,014 04-17-2020, 10:24 AM
Last Post: ROYISAGIRL
  Textbooks—Huge, Expensive, and Out of Print pws 1 1,615 04-18-2019, 10:21 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  A few more MOOCs for undergrad credit on edx MNomadic 0 971 12-06-2018, 10:55 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  MOOCs you've done or started, and your opinion of them Ideas 16 2,556 03-10-2018, 11:15 AM
Last Post: Ideas
  Has anyone used MOOCS for PLA? videogamesrock 9 1,508 03-02-2016, 02:55 PM
Last Post: videogamesrock
  Free MOOCs That prep for CLEP and DSST Life Long Learning 0 882 06-12-2015, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Noob Question: MOOCS, etc AmeliaC 5 1,139 05-27-2014, 08:14 AM
Last Post: ladylearner
  Great Article about MOOCs publius2k4 0 746 11-16-2013, 11:15 AM
Last Post: publius2k4
  Using MOOCs and free online courses to prepare for CLEP exams doubush 3 1,639 10-21-2013, 01:53 PM
Last Post: Prloko