Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MIS + Info Sys & Comp Apps + Intro to Comp = Overlap?
Can anyone familiar with Excelsior please clarify:
Into to Computers + MIS + Info Systems and Computer Apps = overlap?

I was enrolled at one time in Excelsior's BS-Business program but I don't plan to re-enroll until I have completed all of the courses in the outline I crafted through my advisement. I am nearly at that point now, but I want to add MIS to my existing Intro to Computers and IS&CA. Since I am not enrolled I cannot lean on the academic advisors to get the answer I'm looking for. Thanks in advance to anyone who knows the lay of the land.

Best,
Edit - Sorry, I didn't understand your question and wrote a response answering a question you never asked. That's embarrassing. I didn't go to Excelsior, but Thomas Edison let me use MIS in my major because it's upper-level credit.
I can't speak for the business degree, but I am able to use all three exams for credit in the liberal arts degree program at Exclesior.
EXCELSIOR COLLEGE
BS-LS: AoF Admin/Mgmt Studies
0 to BS in under 9 months

EXCELSIOR CLASSES (7 Credits)
College Math (A) Eng Comp (B) Info Lit (P)

CLEP (42 Credits)
A&I Lit-6CH (71) SS&H-6CH (66) Humanities-6CH (65) Mgmt (66) Marketing (66) HG&Dev (61) Info Sys&Comp App (60) Sociology (60) Psych (59) Business Law (55) Am Gov't (50)

DSST (57 Credits)
Found of Ed (67-A) Fund of Counseling (67-A) Intro to Business (65-A) Civil War & Recon (62-A) Tech Writing (59-A) Intro Law Enforcement (59-A) Principles of Supervision (58-A) Org Behavior (57-A) Environ&Humanity (53-B) Anthropology (52-B) Astronomy (52-B) World Religions (450) Substance Abuse (450) Ethics in America (447) HTYH (433) Intro to Comp (432) Personal Finance (422) Criminal Justice (409) Mgmt Info Sys (409)

ECE (21 Credits)
HR Mgmt (A) Cultural Diversity © Ethics © Organizational Behavior (B) Found of Gerontology © Psych of A&A © Social Psych ©

Up Next:
MPA @ AMU stating Sept 09
Jaba, I am also going for the EC BS Business degree program, so I can help you there.

The DSST Intro to Computing and CLEP IS both satisfy the business core Computers requirement. Since you took both, one will count towards your core requirement and the other probably either the arts and sciences or electives.

The DSST MIS fulfills the upper level advanced requirement (EC requires at least 12 credits of advanced-level business credit) which will give you 3 credits in that category. You should still take the DSST MIS if you need to fulfill advanced level credit.

Hope this helps!
Excelsior BS Business - summa cum laude
Conferral Date: August 20, 2010
74 credits from classes
48 credits from testing out
dharmachic Wrote:Jaba, I am also going for the EC BS Business degree program, so I can help you there.

The DSST Intro to Computing and CLEP IS both satisfy the business core Computers requirement. Since you took both, one will count towards your core requirement and the other probably either the arts and sciences or electives.

The DSST MIS fulfills the upper level advanced requirement (EC requires at least 12 credits of advanced-level business credit) which will give you 3 credits in that category. You should still take the DSST MIS if you need to fulfill advanced level credit.

Hope this helps!

TY...i wanted to know also...

[SIZE="2"]LUCK DOESN'T EXIST![/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="2"]"Luck? Luck is when you're at your desk until four a.m. every night chasing deals, and a few years later you look up and your broker tells you you're worth a few million dollars"-RYAN D'AGOSTINO
"You are your own worst enemy. You waste precious time dreaming of the future instead of engaging in the present. Since nothing seems urgent to you, you are only half involved in what you do. The only way to change is through action and outside pressure. Put yourself in situations where you have too much at stake to waste time or resources - if you cannot afford to lose, you won’t. Cut your ties to the past; enter unknown territory where you must depend on your wits and energy to see you through. Place yourself on “death ground,” where your back is against the wall and you have to fight like hell to get out alive." -The 33 Strategies of War[/SIZE][/SIZE]
Thanks Dharmachic!

I was thinking that was probably the case but the reinforcement is very helpful.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Unofficial DegreeForum Wiki - Credit by Exam info, Degree Plans, etc dcan 43 27,182 08-17-2018, 11:29 AM
Last Post: elenlushk
  Intro + Degree advice, looking at TESU for multiple degrees, BSBA + BSAST coloradocale 14 4,242 08-02-2018, 08:53 PM
Last Post: coloradocale
  Technical Writing will not replace Comp II at TESU allvia 9 2,149 04-26-2018, 12:15 PM
Last Post: jsd
  SL Intro to C++ transfer as 3cr not 4cr? mudball 4 1,433 02-06-2018, 06:38 PM
Last Post: mudball
  In a double major, can credit requirements overlap? Pelican 2 1,724 01-16-2018, 08:44 PM
Last Post: Pelican
  Business Statistics & Intro to Computer Science masrat858 3 1,417 12-29-2017, 08:43 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  DSST Intro To Law Enforcement amit 10 2,099 11-30-2017, 09:47 AM
Last Post: Joeman200
  Can intro to psychology, sociology & criminal justice used as general ed at TESU posabsolute 7 2,160 10-12-2017, 04:35 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  TECEPS: English Comp I & II Silly_Me 14 3,494 07-04-2017, 10:20 AM
Last Post: bricabrac
  TECEP Computer Concepts & Apps azt579 5 1,247 04-15-2017, 09:52 PM
Last Post: dfrecore