Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MBA vs MS in Leadership
So, i'm going to a 4 year university and I currently have 2 classes left and I will have my BA in Business Management. I'm really debating on furthering my education after this. If I were to continue I would either go for an MBA or MS in Leadership. I'm unsure of which one I should go for. My university currently offers a MS in leadership for $10k flat. The MBA would end up being like $17k in tuition alone. I could always go somewhere else or for something else, however I am thinking since I am a business major for my undergrad, these would really be my only two viable options. What other master programs could an undergrad in business go for?
Any input would be appreciated.  

Regards,

Regards
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation. What is called resignation is confirmed desperation." -Henry David Thoreau

BA- Business Management (6)
ALEKS- Intro To Statistics
AAS Business Administration- Community College
There are a lot of different majors that don't require a particular undergraduate degree. What are you interested in, and why do you want the degree?
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(09-25-2017, 03:17 PM)sanantone Wrote: There are a lot of different majors that don't require a particular undergraduate degree. What are you interested in, and why do you want the degree?

I feel as though I need a competitive advantage. I want to work in the corporate world, higher up the ladder. I'm just not sure where at and at, and at what level. I've considered focusing on quality management and getting certs in six sigma etc. If i have no current requirement for a masters at my current position, should I just not worry about it? I'd hate to get older and regret it.
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation. What is called resignation is confirmed desperation." -Henry David Thoreau

(09-25-2017, 03:38 PM)Regards Wrote:
(09-25-2017, 03:17 PM)sanantone Wrote: There are a lot of different majors that don't require a particular undergraduate degree. What are you interested in, and why do you want the degree?

I feel as though I need a competitive advantage. I want to work in the corporate world, higher up the ladder. I'm just not sure where at and at, and at what level. I've considered focusing on quality management and getting certs in six sigma etc. If i have no current requirement for a masters at my current position, should I just not worry about it? I'd hate to get older and regret it.

Those who work in the business field will probably have better answers for you. I believe MPAs and MBAs are best for those with experience. Their current positions may not require a master's degree, but they may need one to be competitive for high-level positions.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Many HR people are keyword oriented and some jobs say MBA preferred. The MBA could make you more attractive to recruiters or when applying for a job that prefers an MBA. The Leadership degree is good for current executives, entrepreneurs, or people in government positions. Many government jobs will want a business degree and will say advanced degree preferred which the MBA would satisfy both.
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
Which university are you planning to graduate from? Since you have two courses from them, I'd think you may want to continue your Masters with them as well... Is it 10K for the MS L? That's not a bad price for an RA degree, how fast can it be done? in 24 months? BTW, how young are you? Got kids/married, do you have commitments? Have some goals to complete?

If you're a young person, under 30 or 40, you can quickly get it done with a competency-based degree program. In fact, if you're "older" and strapped for time, that's the main reason I would tell people to finish a program at WGU for example, to get it done cheap/easy/fast. MBA is geared towards "businesses/corporations" and moving up the chain/ladder into higher paying positions. MS in Leadership can be used in other industries, it can be used for a check the box masters as well. The main difference is the curriculum/utility of the degree...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
As someone who worked in business, and specifically HR, I would say that the MBA is a much better way to go. I don't think the MS in Leadership is looked on that favorably. It's OK, but not anything to write home about.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Ransomsoul already knows my opinion on leadership degrees.  Big Grin In my opinion, leadership programs are nothing but watered-down organizational psychology programs. If you want to study leadership for personal development purposes, then I guess it works out fine as long as studying organizational psychology for 10+ courses doesn't bore you to tears. To me, earning a whole degree in leadership is like earning a degree in ethics. One course in those topics is fine, but a whole degree in them is like trying to force someone who is not a natural leader to be a leader or forcing someone who is naturally an unethical person to be ethical. Some things are just in people's nature and can't be changed.  

If you're looking to reinforce skills and have a degree employers are looking for in large numbers, then the MBA will be better.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
(09-25-2017, 04:23 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Which university are you planning to graduate from? Since you have two courses from them, I'd think you may want to continue your Masters with them as well... Is it 10K for the MS L? That's not a bad price for an RA degree, how fast can it be done? in 24 months?  BTW, how young are you?  Got kids/married, do you have commitments? Have some goals to complete?

If you're a young person, under 30 or 40, you can quickly get it done with a competency-based degree program.  In fact, if you're "older" and strapped for time, that's the main reason I would tell people to finish a program at WGU for example, to get it done cheap/easy/fast.   MBA is geared towards "businesses/corporations" and moving up the chain/ladder into higher paying positions.  MS in Leadership can be used in other industries, it can be used for a check the box masters as well.  The main difference is the curriculum/utility of the degree...

Hello bjcheung77, I am currently 25 years old. The MS L is $10k flat. What industries would the MSL thrive in?

(09-25-2017, 05:42 PM)sanantone Wrote: Ransomsoul already knows my opinion on leadership degrees.  Big Grin In my opinion, leadership programs are nothing but watered-down organizational psychology programs. If you want to study leadership for personal development purposes, then I guess it works out fine as long as studying organizational psychology for 10+ courses doesn't bore you to tears. To me, earning a whole degree in leadership is like earning a degree in ethics. One course in those topics is fine, but a whole degree in them is like trying to force someone who is not a natural leader to be a leader or forcing someone who is naturally an unethical person to be ethical. Some things are just in people's nature and can't be changed.  

If you're looking to reinforce skills and have a degree employers are looking for in large numbers, then the MBA will be better.

This post is highly making me consider an MBA instead now, but is like $17k in tuition reasonable? My current university charges around $400 per credit hour for graduate degrees. It's 43 credit hours to get the MBA. Im trying to see how I can justify this route since my current employer doesn't really require it nor does my line of work. Will I able to go out seeking higher level jobs after i get my MBA even though Im not in that career field yet? I know a lot of people say like get into the field you want before getting the MBA..

(09-25-2017, 05:42 PM)sanantone Wrote: Ransomsoul already knows my opinion on leadership degrees. Big Grin

Lol Smile Cosign a lot on what has been shared in the comments. I have been fortunate to hire some talented people in my career both while in corporate and now running my own business. Many with advanced degrees in more common areas like Finance, Economics, MBAs and unique areas like Organizational Management, Leadership/Management and Industrial Psychology (this one is catching steam in Medical right now). Since most hiring where an MBA is a focused target (at least in medical), HR personnel is not the key decision makers to filter out a candidate. In this example, most organizations may list a preference for an MBA but the request is an 'advanced degree'. If I am with talent and we have hurdles in the degree portion of our time together, I am pretty comfortable in knowing that this partnership will most likely not work out.

What I liked about WGU's Leadership degree is it covers 5 of the 11 MBA courses. This could suggest that it's not a watered down psychology degree. I am someone who would be down to do another Leadership Degree possibly with Claremont Lincoln University in the future. Perhaps, what I am in search of is an actual Watered Down Masters in Psychology (hmmm you may be on to something Sanantone - PhD in Leadership? Smile I am in a unique position to earn a degree strictly because I can and not because I need one. It's a great place to be in with my selection process. With that being said, if I was mentoring a young person (as I am with my own kids), I would encourage them to take a moment to understand that a 'unique' degree can be seen as less than a more familiar degree. In addition, not all degrees are built for growing young talent. If I had not dealt with contracts, international marketing and lead a sales force while in the corporate space, prior to even having a bachelor degree, I would most likely look at an MBA in a different light.

My Vote in business options would rank as the following:

Be An Entrepreneur - You're Young, Nows The Time!!! (change the world - create a legacy!)

Follow Your Talent In Degree Selection First & Passion In Degree Selection Second (maxing out your talent allows for you to max out your passions over time)

Get A Masters In Finance (great value & strong alternative to MBA)

Get An MBA (you'll make this forum happier & HR will love you!)

Get A Masters in Leadership (only if you secretly really want to be a licensed Psychologist)

Be An Entrepreneur
PhD, Leadership, University of the Cumberlands - What Have I Done!!?!!
MBA, Healthcare Management, Western Governors University - in progress
MS, Management and Leadership, Western Governors University - 2017
BS, Business Administration, Thomas Edison State University - 2016

RANSOMSOUL: Exchange Good For Great

The Ultimate Route to Earning a Bachelor's Degree in Business: A StraighterLine Success Story

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MBA vs. MS in Organizational Leadership ArielB74 6 1,772 02-23-2021, 01:50 PM
Last Post: Turkish
  Drexel University - Certificate in Leadership ($199 Online) nomaduser 1 733 08-01-2020, 08:14 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
Heart CURRENT info on a BS in Business or Management or Leadership from the BIG THREE Sowak777 6 1,387 01-27-2020, 06:14 PM
Last Post: jsd
  3 SH for a college Business Administration/Management and Leadership Certificate Life Long Learning 4 1,959 01-11-2018, 04:11 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Bachelor of Science in Organizational Leadership Credit Distribution candothis 7 1,947 02-05-2015, 03:12 PM
Last Post: CollegeKid
  Small Business Management vs. Foundations of Leadership TESC courses AlmostGraduated 3 938 01-12-2015, 03:41 PM
Last Post: AlmostGraduated
  Upper Division Management or Leadership jayashjian 2 820 11-15-2014, 10:54 PM
Last Post: bricabrac
  BS in Organizational Leadership BABEY 8 1,423 07-14-2009, 06:43 AM
Last Post: jackzack87