Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
M. Ed Learning and Technology
I'm coming to the end of my journey at WGU and want to give a short review in case anyone was considering this program.

Time commitment:

It has taken me 2 terms to complete this but, that is mainly due to life changes. I'm fully confident most of the members of this forum could knock this out in 2-3 months. To break down the time, I put in about two months of work in term one and so far in term two I've put in 3 weeks.

Sidenote - I go directly to assignments unless the reading is interesting. Other than the first course section on instructional design I haven't read much if any of the material. 

Who this degree is for: 

I'm going to be blunt... this degree isn't for most of us on this forum. This degree is perfect for someone who works in a k-12 education environment who needs a quick straightforward degree for promotion or pay raise. 

Reading the website description you would think that this degree is similar to the educational technology degrees you see at a lot of schools but, the technology "training" you get is so low level you will need to do your own research to get a real grasp of it.

Sidenote - If you're planning on a doctoral program make sure your intended school is ok with the CBE nature of the grading. I had one program reject an application because their "normal" applicant has a higher master's GPA.
COSC AS 2019 - completed
COSC BSBA 2020 - completed
Cumberland School of Law M.S.L 2022 - completed
UA - MS Hospitality Management 2024 - in process

#GOACORNS
#GOBULLDOGS
#ROLLTIDE
[-] The following 3 users Like withrown's post:
  • openair, quigongene, WALLACEMC11
(10-13-2021, 03:43 PM)withrown Wrote: I'm coming to the end of my journey at WGU and want to give a short review in case anyone was considering this program.

Time commitment:

It has taken me 2 terms to complete this but, that is mainly due to life changes. I'm fully confident most of the members of this forum could knock this out in 2-3 months. To break down the time, I put in about two months of work in term one and so far in term two I've put in 3 weeks.

Sidenote - I go directly to assignments unless the reading is interesting. Other than the first course section on instructional design I haven't read much if any of the material. 

Who this degree is for: 

I'm going to be blunt... this degree isn't for most of us on this forum. This degree is perfect for someone who works in a k-12 education environment who needs a quick straightforward degree for promotion or pay raise. 

Reading the website description you would think that this degree is similar to the educational technology degrees you see at a lot of schools but, the technology "training" you get is so low level you will need to do your own research to get a real grasp of it.

Sidenote - If you're planning on a doctoral program make sure your intended school is ok with the CBE nature of the grading. I had one program reject an application because their "normal" applicant has a higher master's GPA.

It would be nice, if WGU admitted international students located outside the U.S.
I agree with you but, with all of the information on CBE degrees from other posters, I'm sure you'll find the perfect school. All things being equal, had UMPI your pace been more popular earlier I would have jumped on board.
COSC AS 2019 - completed

#GOACORNS
#GOBULLDOGS
#ROLLTIDE
Withrown, great job! Having finished in two terms ain't bad, many may take longer especially with other commitments, it's the "finish" that counts! Congrats to getting this far and thanks for the advice and mini review!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(10-13-2021, 03:43 PM)withrown Wrote: I'm coming to the end of my journey at WGU and want to give a short review in case anyone was considering this program.

Time commitment:

Who this degree is for: 

Thanks for your review of the program. Congrats on almost being done! I will be starting this program in April of next year. Hoping to knock it out in two terms.
In-progress/Upcoming:
South College - EDD - Higher Education
Southern Utah University - MM - Music Technology

Certs: ComptiaA+, SAS Data Scientist

Completed:
WGU - MS - Curriculum and Instruction, 2024
Thomas Edison State University - BA - Liberal Studies, 2023
Charter Oak State College - AA - General Studies, 2021

Certs: Google IT Support
(10-15-2021, 07:36 PM)WALLACEMC11 Wrote:

Time commitment:

Who this degree is for: 

Thanks for your review of the program. Congrats on almost being done! I will be starting this program in April of next year. Hoping to knock it out in two terms.

Thanks!

You'll definitely be able to knock it out. My advice  is stick with the same topic throughout. That way you'll just have to add stuff on and it will make the capstone assignments go quicker.
COSC AS 2019 - completed

#GOACORNS
#GOBULLDOGS
#ROLLTIDE
[-] The following 1 user Likes withrown's post:
  • WALLACEMC11

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sophia Learning vs. Study.com BrotherG 8 1,397 10-04-2023, 11:33 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  WGU announced a new Master of Science in Learning Experience Design and Education GizmoJack 24 4,250 09-08-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Sophia's Visual Communcation and Introduction to Information Technology WGU Transfer? OP88 4 1,592 05-16-2023, 05:55 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  WGU ranked #7 in US for Information Technology Degrees by Niche.com MNomadic 4 1,475 05-06-2023, 03:52 PM
Last Post: zadaea
  MS in Information Technology Management ss20ts 4 1,987 10-18-2020, 05:30 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
Question WGU B.S. in Business—Information Technology Management allvia 3 5,974 08-03-2017, 02:24 PM
Last Post: allvia