Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lowest Cost Online Masters
(05-31-2022, 04:45 AM)nomaduser Wrote: The cheapest online master is WorldQuant University - MSc in Financial Engineering!

It's FREE!!

https://www.wqu.edu/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WorldQuant_University

Thanks! Never heard of it, is it accredited?

(05-31-2022, 01:49 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @OP, it depends on the person and what their needs are... If you're looking for an immediate bump and need that Masters right away, the MSML is an option for you.  Some people can complete it in a term or less if they're working on the assessments or assignments as they do not have any other commitments.  Stay the route you're going, you can get the MBA slowly and surely...  Just make sure you have enough budget/finances to fund both programs.  I would apply for as many bursaries, grants, scholarships, relief aid as possible...

Thank you!! I will, I only have three more classes to fo at TAMUC. What are bursaries?

(05-30-2022, 11:52 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(05-30-2022, 09:44 AM)Vle045 Wrote: Wouldn’t an MSML and an MBA have a ton of overlap?  Why not just go straight to the MBA?   What is the benefit of having both?

Not typically. MSML focuses on management and leadership. MBA's cover finance, accounting, HR, econ, management, etc. 

If one wants to go onto a doctorate some schools will waive some credits for the second master's. The other benefit is career wise. Every company isn't looking for MBAs today. They want leaders not managers because the younger generations don't respond to management the same as the older generations. They philosophies and approaches are actually pretty different.

Good point here! I would consider a doctorate degree at the end of all of this if I still have studying in me.

(05-30-2022, 08:01 PM)ThatBankDude Wrote: If you are going to do a MSML at WGU, I would recommend a more specialized masters after instead of an MBA. Pursue a MS in Finance, Accounting, Business Analytics, etc. Otherwise, do the MBA instead of the MSML.

Thank you, I think this is a really good tip. The reason why I would want to do the MBA after would be to take my time as Math is not my strongest. I could do one of these other masters as well, I did enjoy accounting. Could you elaborate a bit on your suggestion?
Currently:
UCA (University of Central Arkansas) Ph.D. Change Leadership for Equity and Inclusion 

Completed:
WGU MSML
TAMUC BAAS Org Leadership
PMP, CSM, CSPO, Google Project Management Certificate
Sophia 19 Classes | Study.com 12 Classes
(05-31-2022, 04:45 AM)nomaduser Wrote: The cheapest online master is WorldQuant University - MSc in Financial Engineering!

It's FREE!!

This is definitely an interesting option.  They are NA and free.
MBA, BA 
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation

LawShelf Affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Get an additional course free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview

ENEB Affiliate
MBA + Master:  https://go.hotmart.com/N92904319K?ap=12c8
MBA *or* Master:  https://go.hotmart.com/S92904390Y?ap=44dc
(05-31-2022, 07:24 AM)mohelena02 Wrote:

It's FREE!!

Thanks! Never heard of it, is it accredited?

(05-31-2022, 01:49 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @OP, it depends on the person and what their needs are... If you're looking for an immediate bump and need that Masters right away, the MSML is an option for you.  Some people can complete it in a term or less if they're working on the assessments or assignments as they do not have any other commitments.  Stay the route you're going, you can get the MBA slowly and surely...  Just make sure you have enough budget/finances to fund both programs.  I would apply for as many bursaries, grants, scholarships, relief aid as possible...

Thank you!! I will, I only have three more classes to fo at TAMUC. What are bursaries?

(05-30-2022, 11:52 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(05-30-2022, 09:44 AM)Vle045 Wrote: Wouldn’t an MSML and an MBA have a ton of overlap?  Why not just go straight to the MBA?   What is the benefit of having both?

Not typically. MSML focuses on management and leadership. MBA's cover finance, accounting, HR, econ, management, etc. 

If one wants to go onto a doctorate some schools will waive some credits for the second master's. The other benefit is career wise. Every company isn't looking for MBAs today. They want leaders not managers because the younger generations don't respond to management the same as the older generations. They philosophies and approaches are actually pretty different.

Good point here! I would consider a doctorate degree at the end of all of this if I still have studying in me.

(05-30-2022, 08:01 PM)ThatBankDude Wrote: If you are going to do a MSML at WGU, I would recommend a more specialized masters after instead of an MBA. Pursue a MS in Finance, Accounting, Business Analytics, etc. Otherwise, do the MBA instead of the MSML.

Thank you, I think this is a really good tip. The reason why I would want to do the MBA after would be to take my time as Math is not my strongest. I could do one of these other masters as well, I did enjoy accounting. Could you elaborate a bit on your suggestion?

So the MBA program is still not going to be very math heavy in my opinion. If you are concerned about math, I'd definitely avoid grad programs in Finance and Business Analytics as both are going to be very quantitative and math intensive.

I did the MBA program through an AACSB Accredited program and found that I love Data Analytics hence the pursuit of a MS in Quantitative Management: Business Analytics.
Master of Science (M.S.) in Quantitative Management: Business Analytics (2023)
Duke University | The Fuqua School of Business

Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) in Management (2019)
Southeastern Oklahoma State University | The John Massey School of Business

Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Biology (2015)
East Central University | The College of Health Sciences

Accumulated Credit: Undergraduate - 126 Hours, Graduate - 83 Hours
[-] The following 1 user Likes ThatBankDude's post:
  • Vle045
There are some MBA programs that de-emphasize Math.  I'm thinking of St. Joseph's program in Leadership.
https://catalog.sjcme.edu/preview_progra...urnto=1435
It's not especially cheap though and so  you will need to be strongly averse to Math in order for it to be worthwhile for you.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Alpha's post:
  • mohelena02
WorldQuant University - MSc in Financial Engineering is free, but it's very hard to get in. I tried and didn't get in! I think it'll be easier for those who majored in Data Analytics/Data Science or Math related subjects... Too bad Quantic changed their pricing, they offered a free option but now it costs more than some RA offerings.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 2 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • BigBird, mohelena02
(05-31-2022, 11:45 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: WorldQuant University - MSc in Financial Engineering is free, but it's very hard to get in.  I tried and didn't get in!  I think it'll be easier for those who majored in Data Analytics/Data Science or Math related subjects...  Too bad Quantic changed their pricing, they offered a free option but now it costs more than some RA offerings.

Don’t they have some kind of test you have to pass to get in too?
MBA, BA 
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation

LawShelf Affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Get an additional course free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview

ENEB Affiliate
MBA + Master:  https://go.hotmart.com/N92904319K?ap=12c8
MBA *or* Master:  https://go.hotmart.com/S92904390Y?ap=44dc
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vle045's post:
  • BigBird
(05-31-2022, 11:45 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: WorldQuant University - MSc in Financial Engineering is free, but it's very hard to get in.  I tried and didn't get in!  I think it'll be easier for those who majored in Data Analytics/Data Science or Math related subjects...  Too bad Quantic changed their pricing, they offered a free option but now it costs more than some RA offerings.

Can confirm that WQU's admission test is not the easiest, but it is definitely doable with some practice. There are lots of quantitative challenges and some abstract algebra. So, if one does not like Maths, it is definitely the wrong track to go.. Haha Smile BTW having studied some Electrical Engineering and Economics at a renowned university in Europe, I wasn't well prepared myself; Took me two tries to eventually get the 75% needed for admission.
Completed: 
Master of Business Administration | Universidad Isabel I de Castilla / ENEB
Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration; Management & Leadership | University of Maine at Presque Isle
Associate of Arts in Liberal Studies; Business | University of Maine at Presque Isle
Board of Governors Associate of Applied Science | Pierpont Community & Technical College

Admitted (but not pursuing):
Master of Science in Management | University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Master of Science in Financial Engineering | WorldQuant University
[-] The following 2 users Like BigBird's post:
  • nomaduser, Vle045
I just noticed that a colleague that teaches in the same department as me has the WQU degree.

His background was a Bach. in BA + Master in Economics

By the way, the diploma looks like this:

[Image: World-Quant-University-Diploma.jpg]
[-] The following 2 users Like MrPanda's post:
  • nomaduser, origamishuttle
From my research, World Quant and University of the People are the cheapest options (if you get their scholarship) for master's degrees. UoP has a master's in education and another in computer science. How far it will help with getting a job, I don't know, but if you're looking internationally then national accredidation does go much further than in the USA (for some strange reason).

I, too, am in Texas, and am looking for better options. The Texas education system is f@$&ed. Even the bottom-tier schools won't accept transfer credits from other states. I have two AAS degrees from Oklahoma and they wouldn't accept any credits, yet I could transfer to Colorado State or WGU or Thomas Edison and they all worked. 

"Prestigious" Texas schools are almost at the level of Ivy Leagues with entrance scandals. They make it unusually difficult to get accepted, yet here's avenues like Coursera where you can get a cheap degree in a particular field and get in pretty easy.

I would definitely look elsewhere for a degree, and consider moving if you're open to it. The job market in Texas isn't bad, but the salary will be low because Texas is basically a libertarian state with a $7.25 minimum wage when other states are approaching $18. You will be capitalized on in every way imaginable, then potentially imprisoned or killed because that's also very common here. 

Other than that, there are international options, even online. Germany is a country I'm looking at, as well as France and Switzerland. UK is cheap in comparison, but still over 10k. France would be like $2500 a year for an American resident. Germany and Switzerland would be maybe $500. Some degrees are offered online, and it could lead to an education or work visa. I work for an international company and hope I can do both so I can move far far away from the shithole that is Texas state. I say that as someone who's family fought in the Texas Revolution and who have lived in Texas and Oklahoma for hundreds of years. The grass really is greener on the other side.
TCC - AAS in Information Technology 2015
TCC - AAS in IT, Website Management 2015
Coursera - IBM Cybersecurity Analyst Certificate, April 2023
TESU - Bachelor of Arts in Computer Science (114 out of 120 credit hours)
Eastern University or A-State or UT - Austin - Something Artificial Intelligence related most likely
[-] The following 1 user Likes Randyb100's post:
  • staceydiane
@Randyb100, there are options as workarounds, instead of completing a degree at the undergrad level, you can do something elsewhere. You can then come back to a Texas University for your graduate program, example is in the AI, CS, Cybersecurity, Data Analytics/Science, and whatever else available between Coursera or Edx partnerships, you can go for Georgia Tech or UTexas - Austin, or something similarly ranked.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ENEB to UK top up masters possible? Atoshi 2 397 6 hours ago
Last Post: armado
Question Master's in Psychology - Low Cost & CBE Suggestions Needed Wiser Indigenous 4 226 05-24-2024, 04:31 AM
Last Post: studyingfortests
  Italian Online Master in Economics & Finance for 4.5k from a Top-School David1477 18 661 05-23-2024, 03:53 PM
Last Post: Stoic
  WGU Masters in Human Resource Management newdegree 0 98 05-22-2024, 02:46 PM
Last Post: newdegree
  Master's in Online or Digital Marketing resistk 3 589 05-21-2024, 05:26 AM
Last Post: Shari234
  Online Graduate Statistics course Stonybeach 16 869 05-05-2024, 12:22 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Online Masters in Computer Science + thesis? swellguy 1 376 05-04-2024, 06:25 PM
  Online Psych Masters from VIU, WES Canada eligible? Earind_00 8 1,569 05-01-2024, 08:48 PM
  CU Boulder Masters on Coursera spohara 15 5,603 04-30-2024, 02:30 PM
Last Post: spohara
  List of Cheap Online MBA Programs That Can Be Completed in Under 1 Year LevelUP 32 22,694 04-25-2024, 10:14 AM