Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LIB 4950 Capstone GS or OL
I am debating myself whether I should take Augustus Black GS course or the James Cody OL course. I work 2 jobs. I want to put in work but I also want to be able to secure an A. Is anyone else in similar situation or someone wants to share their experience?
I took the OL course with James Cody, and found it to be an excellent experience. He is very responsive and gives solid feedback when he grades. I personally like the OL course better because I consider the class discussion posts to be practically free points...if you participate, you'll get full marks.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • LevelUP
In addition to that, you want to try completing the requirements within that semester or term you're registered in, if anything such as 'life happens' that may derail your learning, make sure to get in contact with the professor to see if you can extend that capstone. You'll have to complete more than 50% of the class before they would even take a look at extending (with a fee of course). All in all, it's acumen and ethics along with time management... if you have those, you can be persistent and complete the requirements before deadlines.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(03-03-2024, 09:19 AM)evenFair23 Wrote: I am debating myself whether I should take Augustus Black GS course or the James Cody OL course. I work 2 jobs. I want to put in work but I also want to be able to secure an A. Is anyone else in similar situation or someone wants to share their experience?

I am doing a GS now but not with Black or Cody.  It is a lot of writing but due to the progressive nature and deadlines it forces you to get the assignments and research done timely. So far am getting A's going into the 4th assignment. In many ways it reminds me of Sophia Comp 2 in format which I am doing simultanously and hopefully finishing shortly.
(03-03-2024, 05:31 PM)davewill Wrote: I personally like the OL course better because I consider the class discussion posts to be practically free points...if you participate, you'll get full marks.

It's great that Cody gives 100% for participation. Some will mark down heavily, even after hours of research and citations. It's not easy to get the APA formatting just right in those discussion posts, but they don't care - zero points for effort!
Pierpont Community & Technical College 2022
Associate of Applied Science - Board of Governors - Area of Emphasis: Information Systems
Western Governors University 
Bachelor of Science - Cloud Computing
Charter Oak State College
Bachelor of Science - General Studies - Concentration: Information Systems Studies
Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts - Computer Science
Associate in Science in Natural Sciences and Mathematics - Mathematics
University of Maine at Presque Isle 
Bachelor of Applied Science - Minor: Project Management
Dr. Black told me during me of our (many) calls that most everyone in the class would get an A, as long as they did the work. He will allow you to resubmit and correct assignments, and give you as much time and assistance as you need to be successful.

Take the OL version. For me, if I were taking it, I'd wait for next month if I knew that Dr Black were available for the OL. The discussion posts arent difficult, help clarify your topic, improving your paper. and pretty much everyone got full points from Dr Black. He did tell me that he is just as accessible for the GS as the OL even though the GS is upposed to involve less interaction

I haven't had Cody, but Dr. Black has for me been probably in the top two or three professors I have had across all of the seven schools I attended. I think it would be hard to top the value of the education I got from him. If you have to take it current, then either would be fine, I just personally got so much from Dr Black that would be my (biased) choice.
(03-03-2024, 10:55 PM)origamishuttle Wrote:
(03-03-2024, 05:31 PM)davewill Wrote: I personally like the OL course better because I consider the class discussion posts to be practically free points...if you participate, you'll get full marks.

It's great that Cody gives 100% for participation. Some will mark down heavily, even after hours of research and citations. It's not easy to get the APA formatting just right in those discussion posts, but they don't care - zero points for effort!

I was only referring to the discussion posts, and I can't say that he would never mark one down, but I never spent more than 20 min on one and always got full marks.

None of my discussion posts required research or APA formatting! They were just a couple of paragraphs addressing the discussion assignment and and couple of response posts to other students. The hardest part was getting the responses in as so many of my peers waited until nearly the last minute to post their main assignment. Can't respond to what isn't there.

Now, It's been a lot of years since I took it, it's always possible that the assignments have been beefed up, but I can only relate my experience.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 2 users Like davewill's post:
  • ivanswk78, origamishuttle
Thanks, really appreciate this feedback and the reviews. My son will soon need to do LIB-4950 for the BA-CS and the Business Capstone for the BS-CIS degree. The intensity seems like spacing them out into 2 terms makes the most sense for him.
In progress: HAU MBA (2/3rds done so far) Completed: BA Economics | Finland Open Studies @ XAMK/Metropolia/Helsinki/Laurea
Certs Completed: Scrum CSPO/CSM | Google PM/Data Analytics/Marketing
jg_nuy Wrote:Thanks, really appreciate this feedback and the reviews. My son will soon need to do LIB-4950 for the BA-CS and the Business Capstone for the BS-CIS degree. The intensity seems like spacing them out into 2 terms makes the most sense for him.

Capstones should be done by itself, I usually tell people to do them both if you really want to complete it faster and have it part of the flat rate term. If neither is required, then splitting the capstones by themselves would be a good option, you can still do the flat rate for residency credits for classes or e-packs that are easiest.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • origamishuttle
Happy reading this, i sign up the capstone with Cody and starting 1 April.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 20 2,662 04-23-2024, 02:44 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Liberal Arts Capstone resistk 15 1,397 12-18-2023, 02:38 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Register for Capstone Kones 12 1,131 12-04-2023, 08:20 PM
Last Post: resistk
  O Capstone! My Capstone Kab 12 1,196 08-03-2023, 03:06 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Capstone project Done gams007 5 937 05-02-2023, 09:39 PM
Last Post: gams007
  I need help with Kaltura for the capstone oral presentation mcquacks2 3 717 04-02-2023, 05:07 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  TESU transfering alt credits after doing capstone or during? CanICode 5 924 03-09-2023, 07:32 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  LIB-495 Liberal Arts Capstone disney_day_dreamer 12 2,079 02-21-2023, 11:22 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Anyone willing to share their capstone experience/sample? Amberlinjeanne 9 1,699 12-13-2022, 12:34 AM
Last Post: Amberlinjeanne
  Capstone: LIB 495, theory only or need implementation StudentOLife 9 1,074 10-26-2022, 07:27 AM
Last Post: Pats20