Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Job Hunting Tips?
Security companies are easy to get into, and many will offer training for an unarmed license. You probably can't become armed in most states until you're 21.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Sorry for the late response to this. I understand what you are going through. I've been out of work for a long time now too, almost a year, due to an injury. So far I don't qualify for anything.

Since you are pretty young though, I'd suggest looking into the National Service. Some of the programs are restricted to people ages 18-24, so you'd have better chances. Plus, it would give you a chance to help the community, possibly receive a living stipend &/or school benefits. Our Programs | Corporation for National and Community Service
I was just thinking of Americorps when I saw this thread. My sons friend did this for about a year he did some traveling, learned some handy skills, and was much more mature and ready to finish college when he was done. This is definitely worth a look and there is no reason you couldn't work on exam study while there. I see many very young people on this site finishing degrees and then they are educated but have no real world experience, this is a good way to learn and serve at the same time.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
If I were 18 years old and motivated to get out of mom and dad's house, there are two options I would pursue.

First, if I were not a Contentious Objector I would look at the Air Force or Navy. After 4 years of service, they will give you a GI Bill that pays about $1200 a month to go to school full time.

Second, for people who have an issue with military service I would look at Americorps. They have programs geared toward younger adults.
TESC 2015 - BSBA, Computer Information Systems

TESC 2019 - 21 Post-bachelor accounting credits
I may not be much additional help other than the searching for jobs.
But make sure to use job search engines, I personally use indeed.com as my sole source now, as it search the other engines like monster.com, dice.com, etc.

Plus once it lists jobs, look on the left side, it will give salary estimates. Just take some of them with a grain of salt for being wrong.
Clicking on the link usually takes you right to the site where you can apply electronically.

my only other advise is to keep working on your resume. Go to google and search for resume verbs, make sure you use those to your advantage.
And play buzzword bingo by looking for all the skills and requirements of the job, and make sure your resume uses the same terminology as the job description.
The recruiters and companies now have resume searches, once you upload your resume the system automatically ranks you with all the other applicants.
You obviously want to be at the top, otherwise you will never even get return calls as you mentioned, as hiring managers are just overwhelmed and can't respond to everyone.

A couple of additional things, make a text copy of your resume to quickly cut and past into some job registration engines.
And second, have a template for a resume and cover letter. So for me being in the IT world, if I wanted to apply to a new CTO role, I would read the job description and use my templates to create a brand new resume and cover letter for every single job you apply for. My document drive is fully of at least a dozen different combinations.

Hope this helps some how.. and best of luck.
DSST- General Anthropology - 52, Intro to Computer - 469, Technical Writing - 54, DSST Ethics in America - 59 (1996),
CLEP- Sociology -54, College Math - 550(1996), CLEP Principles of Management - 60 (1996)
Aleks Beg Alg,
Just wanted to second (or third or whatever) the Americorps/vista option. These are great programs - you will learn real life job skills, the service looks GREAT on a resume, and you will probably make some connections that could lead to a full time gig once your out. Plus youre young, and Im sure the friendships youd make would be a great bonus Smile

Good luck!
A good book on interviewing is really helpful as well. Most people are awful at interviewing. This includes both the interviewee and the interviewer.

There are about half a dozens questions that get asked in every interview and you should come up with exceptional answers to these questions. Don't wing it. Practice your answers -- in front of people. I'd even recommend doing a mock interview and recording it. Knowing how to interview is THAT important.

Have a reason for why they should hire you.
Have an explanation for why you left your last job.
Have an explanation for anything that may look bad (lack of experience, lack of education, hole in employment history, etc.)
Have an answer for "Tell me about yourself."
Have an answer for "Tell me about your greatest accomplishment." (Keep it job related.)
Have an answer for "Tell me about your greatest failure." (Don't give a BS answer. Have a real failure in mind and an explanation for how you've overcome it.)
Every answer should make them want to hire you because they believe you'll be able to step in and start helping right away.
When they ask if you have any questions, a good one is "What kind of tasks would the ideal candidate for this job be stepping in and solving 3 months after starting this job?" Then follow up their answer with, "I absolutely believe I could do that and would be a good fit because..."

If you are prepared, and the guy interviewing you doesn't know what he is doing, it won't matter because you can steer him in the right direction. Actually, it's better for you if the interviewer needs your help by you answering questions they may not have even asked. Other candidates probably missed an opportunity by just answering what was asked. Learn how to interview and you'll land more jobs and get bigger offers when you do land a job.
BA Liberal Studies from Thomas Edison State University

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Job Interview, Resume and Cover Letter Tips natshar 3 1,094 08-01-2019, 08:30 AM
Last Post: natshar
  Productivity Tips and Tricks natshar 1 940 12-11-2018, 09:45 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Interview Tips Prloko 0 1,026 06-25-2015, 09:48 AM
Last Post: Prloko
  Job hunting after 40 cookderosa 0 708 07-29-2013, 08:54 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  International Travel Hints / Tips Requested! marianne202 20 4,567 06-18-2011, 10:43 PM
Last Post: OE800_85
  tips okiemom 6 1,775 05-08-2009, 08:31 PM
Last Post: HoffyCoffee
  Any tips for getting back on track? jax 5 1,085 12-29-2008, 03:45 PM
Last Post: MISin08
  Tips for team building games Shadowless 3 1,233 07-13-2008, 02:03 AM
Last Post: CLEP101