Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it werid that...
Im trying to complete a degree from one of the big 3 and trying to avoid taking cleps and dssts and etc etc. My goal is to .. to transfer in my credit from regionally accredited schools and of course ACE evaluated courses...? And avoid doing the testing route?

Certification (ACA) University of Central Florida
B.A. (Social Sciences) Thomas Edison State University
Excelsior954 Wrote:Im trying to complete a degree from one of the big 3 and trying to avoid taking cleps and dssts and etc etc. My goal is to .. to transfer in my credit from regionally accredited schools and of course ACE evaluated courses...? And avoid doing the testing route?

I don't think it's weird at all. The Big 3 are not only known for their CLEP/DSST policy, they're also known for generous transferred credit acceptance. We all know that you don't learn more just because you took all your credits in four straight years at the same institution. It's nice that there are schools that recognize that even though there are exceptions, it's ok if your degree is completed over the years, in pieces from different institutions.

May I ask why you're not trying any tests? They're not for everyone, but if you give it a shot, it's a GREAT way to save money. I have experience with B&M and online classes along with testing and I can honestly say that you can learn well with any method. ..Not a big deal, I'm just wondering.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
If you want to do things the long way be my guest. But I tested out of 60 credits in just 4 months. Why sit through a boring intro to astronomy class when I can study for a week or so and pass the exam and get 3 credits like that?

But if you want to do it that way, "it's a free country" as they say.
If you're planning to enroll in a highly competitive grad program it makes sense to tale courses and shoot for excellent grades in them, but if you're going just for the paper I've got to agree with the others. At least for gen ed credits you cannot beat testing out. MA2's 60 credits on 4 months is an excellent example of getting the crap out of the way while saving money for grad school, a nice vacation, etc.
I m edumakated thanx to distunce lerning.

MEd, Texas A&M University, 2018
MBA, University of North Dakota, 2014
MS, University of Illinois Springfield, 2010
BSBA, Thomas Edison State University, 2008
AS / AAS, Tidewater Community College, 2004
Excelsior954 I think for a CJ major future employers and Grad schools will not be concerned with how you earned your GenEd credits and free electives, so taking courses instead of testing out of them won't necessarily earn points for you. But if it brings personal satisfaction to take the courses then do it.

I worked up a TESC BA Criminal Justice plan for a family friend that comes from your neck of the woods (attached). Her CJ courses (in green) from Broward (like similar PF courses should) fit perfectly with the TESC BA CJ and the FEMA credits which she will earn for free, are actually very applicable to a CJ major and will look good on both her resume and transcript. Food for thought. Good luck with your degree plan!!!

Attached Files
.doc   Less than 1 minute ago">TESC BA Criminal Justice.doc (Size: 52.5 KB / Downloads: 14)
Excelsior - BS Business 2008
Son #1 TESC BSBA Computer Information Systems completed June 2010
Son #2 TESC BA Computer Science completed November 2010 Currently in Florida State (FSU) Masters CS program and loving it
Well, I am going to take one very soon..its the Spanish clep? My friend completed it and he said I should be able to breeze through that. Testing seems more convenient and quicker which sound real good. One doesn't have to sit in a semester for 4-5 months and get credit for a class. Although my concern is also grad school. If I go to TESC or COSC they will eat my ACE courses with P/F so than I might as well test out the other courses if I attend them for a quick bachelors. But if I attend Excelsior..they'll take some of my Penn Foster credit with a grade which can be somewhat more interesting if a potential grad school looks over it. Now...I'm not trying to get into a a top notch school. Schools such as Nova South Eastern U. or Florida International U. will do fine with me. But I'm not 100% on Excelsior, I like COSC and TESC allot. It all depends at the end..which take more of my credit honestly.

I will be starting Clovis soon in the summer term. So all in all, after the summer I should have.. almost 100 credits. So maybe I can test out the remaining. The whole CJ bachelors was just a stepping stone, so I can go into grad school.

Oh and thanks Geezer, I downloaded the TESC word document you attached. I looked over it. I saved it, just in case I do decide TESC. =]

Once you do a couple of CLEP/DSST you will wonder why you ever took a typical course. Especially if the material is already known to you. Take marketing for example. I studied for 2 days or about 12 hours and passed with a 74/80. I have been around marketing and product management for years so sitting in an intro to marketing class for 4 months would have been a waste of my time. Ditto with intro to business, micro, macroeconomics, psychology, intro to computers, miis and some others.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
Having said that, I do enjoy Straighterline courses a lot. They are not as highly regarded as CLEP or DSST which is pretty much equivalent to RA credit.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
Excelsior954 Wrote:If I go to TESC or COSC they will eat my ACE courses with P/F so than I might as well test out the other courses if I attend them for a quick bachelors. But if I attend Excelsior..they'll take some of my Penn Foster credit with a grade which can be somewhat more interesting if a potential grad school looks over it.

I don't think the fact that there's a letter grade will change anything...