Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interested in an Electrical Engineering plan.
So I'm currently in an electrical apprenticeship that'll last 5 years. I'd also like to get a BS in electrical engineering while I'm at it. I have quite a few restraints on my time as far as going to class, and was leaning more towards distance learning. Then I found out about testing out of courses, and wondered if there was a way to do an electrical engineering degree this way. I noticed I needed labs for a EET degree through excelsior and wondered how that could be satisfied. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Gilaskoram Wrote:So I'm currently in an electrical apprenticeship that'll last 5 years. I'd also like to get a BS in electrical engineering while I'm at it. I have quite a few restraints on my time as far as going to class, and was leaning more towards distance learning. Then I found out about testing out of courses, and wondered if there was a way to do an electrical engineering degree this way. I noticed I needed labs for a EET degree through excelsior and wondered how that could be satisfied. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
ASU has a BSEEE through distance that you may be interested in. https://webapp4.asu.edu/programs/t5/road...NLINE/2014. This doesn't address your CBE concern, but it does cover your distance learning requirement. I believe the courses are 7-8 weeks, which is intense considering the material.

Are you curious about credit by exam for general education requirements or core EE courses? I can't imagine that this is possible for EE courses.
I am an electrician who considered engineering so I will share what I have learned. First and foremost, you should understand what ABET is and make sure you don't pursue a degree without their accreditation. Second, it is important to understand that an EET degree is not an engineering degree. It is a technologist degree, which in the United States is viewed as a glorified technician. There are only two online EE degrees that have ABET; University of North Dakota and Arizona State University. Unfortunately, both degree programs are very expensive.

In my opinion, the best option is taking either in class or online courses through a local community college and complete your lower level requirements first. Just be sure that if you pursue an Associate's degree you go for a transfer degree like an Associate of Science rather than a terminal two year degree like an Associate of Applied Science. If you decide where you want to get your degree you can look up which CLEP and DSST exams they accept for general education requirements and knock those out to save a little time and money. It is unlikely you will find an EE degree that allows you to test out of more than 12 or so credits.

The biggest hurdle for me was the math. For any engineering degree you will need at least Calculus I, Calculus II, Differential equations, Calculus based Physics I, and Calculus based Physics II. I would suggest getting these requirements out of the way before worrying too much about where to get the degree. In some instances, you can take these courses online through a local community college. If you are not prepared for Calculus, I wouldn't worry about taking remedial math courses through a college. Use something like Aleks to get up to speed. Anything below Calculus won't count toward an Engineering degree so there is no reason to pay for credits you can't use.

On a totally unrelated note, in many cases electricians make as much if not more than engineers. There are no H1B visas for electricians. A good two year electrical controls program can set you up to do controls work on equipment like VFD's, PLC's and SCADA. Good controls technicians are in demand and hard to find.
Is it weird that I'm not really in the degree for the job opportunities? More so just to say I have it and the knowledge, as well as a degree in general.

Controls is actually what I plan on going into. I'd like to work on plc's and the like, companies like allen bradley in mind.
Nothing weird about it. I just finished a Business Administration degree but work full time as an electrician. It is nice to have the accomplishment under your belt.
As far as the electrical controls class. Do you have any recommendations.
Indiana State U has an online in EET.

Online Undergraduate Programs | Indiana State Online | Indiana State University

I guess if you took CC courses online + some EE requirements through Indiana State U and eventually transfer all of that into ASU to finish an EE online from them - maybe finish the last 30 credits at ASU, the cost would be lower.
also, Stony Brook U has an Online EE program.

Stony Brook University - Electrical Engineering Online

But it's not ABET. says on the page.
UptonSinclair Wrote:I am an electrician who considered ......

On a totally unrelated note, in many cases electricians make as much if not more than engineers. There are no H1B visas for electricians. A good two year electrical controls program can set you up to do controls work on equipment like VFD's, PLC's and SCADA. Good controls technicians are in demand and hard to find.

Great post, Upton.

Also, its amazing on how many people nowadays are ignoring the "trades". People are racking up fortunes in student debt and are creating a shortage with trade jobs. Many trade techs are writing their own ticket in some areas. Give me the satisfaction of a hard days work with my hands than in front of a computer any day!
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
Prloko Wrote:Great post, Upton.

Also, its amazing on how many people nowadays are ignoring the "trades". People are racking up fortunes in student debt and are creating a shortage with trade jobs. Many trade techs are writing their own ticket in some areas. Give me the satisfaction of a hard days work with my hands than in front of a computer any day!

Don't get carried away. Who said anything about a hard days work. I am a maintenance electrician. We shun a hard days work whenever possible. Confusedmilelol:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Systems Engineering Certification NotJoeBiden 3 296 03-31-2024, 02:11 AM
Last Post: Chimera
  Prompt Engineering Course by Vanderbilt University on Coursera LevelUP 2 356 03-23-2024, 05:28 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,255 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 682 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Metropolia Transition to Bachelor of Engineering in Information Technology aleksa 10 1,595 11-09-2023, 03:36 PM
Last Post: aleksa
  Mexican Bachelor of Engineering programs US$4200 elcastor21 2 450 08-31-2023, 03:38 AM
Last Post: Kab
  Average time to complete a Mechanical Engineering Degree soliloquy 8 7,114 08-14-2023, 12:19 PM
Last Post: soliloquy
  Supreme Court STRIKES DOWN Biden's $400 billion student loan forgiveness "plan" LevelUP 2 643 07-01-2023, 01:07 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Finlandia University - Plan didn't work...failed to save itself! bjcheung77 6 864 05-19-2023, 10:54 AM
Last Post: cardiacclep
  Mississippi State Engineering Alpha 5 759 10-04-2022, 10:57 PM
Last Post: ifomonay