Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm having SO much trouble w/ TESU and DSST (Prometric)
This is mostly just a rant. First of all I've been VERY busy since July and haven't worked on much of anything. For some reason I got the idea here that the TEEX classes that I finished were not going to count for upper level CIS at TESU so I "simply" went and took the DSST Fundamentals of Cybersecurity since it covered pretty much the same material. I passed that but then there was a problem in that apparently I entered the wrong ID (social security) number and TESU sent me an email saying they needed a transcript that matched my ID so that I could get the credit for the DSST. I logged into my Prometric account and updated the ID number then I sent them a help request to get the transcript for that exam sent again. They told me I'd have to fill out the transcript request form and pay another $30 to have it sent. This made me mad but I did it just to get it settled. I got an email from Prometric that they had received my request and then a while later I got an email from TESU that the transcript had been received. I think that may have been in late Aug or early Sept.

Now just a few days ago I received another email from TESU that I had a new academic eval waiting (note that I have not enrolled, I'm not yet enrolled). So I went and looked at it and all my DSSTs that I've taken in the past (which I think were all in 2011) were on there EXCEPT the Fundamentals of Cybersecurity. So I emailed to TESU telling them that the latest academic eval did not contain the Fundamentals of Cybersecurity on it and I wanted to confirm that they had received it. I got an email back telling me that I couldn't have more that 2 academic evals and if I wanted it updated I should enroll. I sent an email back again explaining the situation, that the transcript was sent and received PRIOR to the latest eval and that I wasn't asking for another eval I just want to confirm that the Cybersecurity exam was included on the transcript. I have not heard back on that yet if I ever will.

I also sent another email to prometric, but that seems even more pointless? Another problem is that when I log into my account I only see the Cybersecurity exam in my history and not all the other DSSTs I've taken! Back when I took them it was a different system. I didn't have an online account and I just went to the testing center and they set everything up. But shouldn't my exams be in there now? If I don't see them all in one place now then I guess they aren't all on the transcript either. And how stupid is it you have to fill out a paper and send by snail mail when they are administering technology exams and clearly have the ability to do things online. But the main thing is getting them to fix it seems impossible. I'm not sure I can even take an exam again if I already passed it. And where are my other exams!? At least those seemed to have made it to TESU at some point. I'm so lost on all this stupid bureaucracy!!

I guess I do have one question other than this rant. For some reason TESU moved my Management Information Systems DSST to the unused section and replaced with the Database Management that I did at study.com. Does this mean I couldn't use both in my area of study? I was counting on using that MIS because it's upper level. Same with the Cybersecurity exam if I can ever get the proper transcript across. I guess what I'm asking is whether if it's a "management" type class do they only let you have one in your area of study? Sad Sad Sad Sad

Another question...do I have a year from the time I applied to finish or is it from the time I enroll? I'm wondering because I think it was March or April that I applied but I haven't yet enrolled. How long does it take to do the Capstone? I think I have to do some 1 credit thing too, a "cornerstone?" Lord what will they come up with next? Seems like the goalposts keep moving and I don't have time or patience to keep it all straight. I don't want to enroll if I can't just finish on one fee. I don't want to waste that much money even once so I need to have everything settled first but TESU won't even talk to you unless you enroll! I'm not made of money!
(10-21-2018, 05:53 PM)fork Wrote: [...]

I guess I do have one question other than this rant. For some reason TESU moved my Management Information Systems DSST to the unused section and replaced with the Database Management that I did at study.com. Does this mean I couldn't use both in my area of study? I was counting on using that MIS because it's upper level. Same with the Cybersecurity exam if I can ever get the proper transcript across. I guess what I'm asking is whether if it's a "management" type class do they only let you have one in your area of study?

I can't comment on the DSST debacle, but there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to use your MIS DSST and DB Management course in your AOS. They come in as different courses (CIS-201/301 vs CIS-311) and apply to different requirements. I'm planning to use both in my AOS as well, though my DBM course isn't in my evaluation yet, so who knows if this will be an issue for me as well.

Once you're enrolled you can sort that out by emailing advising to ask them to move things around to where you want them. If a course fits within your AOS, they should move it for you. If it doesn't, they should inform you as to why it would not fit.

(10-21-2018, 05:53 PM)fork Wrote: Another question...do I have a year from the time I applied to finish or is it from the time I enroll? I'm wondering because I think it was March or April that I applied but I haven't yet enrolled. How long does it take to do the Capstone? I think I have to do some 1 credit thing too, a "cornerstone?" Lord what will they come up with next? Seems like the goalposts keep moving and I don't have time or patience to keep it all straight. I don't want to enroll if I can't just finish on one fee. I don't want to waste that much money even once so I need to have everything settled first but TESU won't even talk to you unless you enroll! I'm not made of money!

You have one year from when you apply to enroll. If you don't make that deadline, then you have to apply again. Once you've enrolled you have a year from that point to graduate or take another course (or TECEP), otherwise, you lose your catalog lock and may have to apply again to continue. If you take an additional course in a later term that will reset the 1-year timer.

Yes, you will need to take the cornerstone (1cr @ $300) which takes an hour or so. It can be used to enroll, so you should take that whenever you're ready to do so. if you wait until after July 1st you will need to take a new course (SOS-110) instead @ $1098 w/Study.com discount, so its best to do the cornerstone instead.

The capstone is a regular 3-month course. You have to sign up for that at least a few weeks in advance and it also requires purchasing or renting a specific course textbook.

Once you're ready to graduate, you just need to pay the residency waiver and graduation fee. Its best to hold off on paying those until you're ready to apply for graduation. Speaking of, you must apply for graduation by no later than the 1st of the month, two months before the desired graduation period (March, June, Sep, or Dec). As long as all coursework and transcripts are in TESU's hands by no later than 1 month before graduation, you should be good.

Hopefully that fills in the gaps for you. Smile
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 3 users Like Merlin's post:
  • alab21, fork, Kelly Green
So do I understand right, it would only cost me $300 to enroll? For some reason I thought I had to pay the $2200 waiver right away.
(10-21-2018, 06:35 PM)fork Wrote: So do I understand right, it would only cost me $300 to enroll? For some reason I thought I had to pay the $2200 waiver right away.

For those of us using alt. credit options, enrolling at TESU means registering for a course (or TECEP) at TESU. You become officially enrolled 10 days after the start of that course's term. Any course or TECEP will work for this.

So, you can enroll for $25 if you take a 1cr TECEP (like Medical Terminology), but since you have to take the cornerstone course anyway, you might as well enroll with the cornerstone course. You can pay the residency waiver any time you like, but you are not required to do so until you apply to graduate. To be safe most recommend waiting until that point to pay. You'll also pay the graduation fee (or fees if you are looking at more than one degree) at that time as well.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:

WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 2 users Like Merlin's post:
  • alab21, Kelly Green
Thank you. I will probably do that so I can try to settle this issue with the DSST.
(10-21-2018, 06:56 PM)fork Wrote: Thank you. I will probably do that so I can try to settle this issue with the DSST.

Sounds good.

FYI, I already have the MIS DSST in my AOS but just confirmed with TESU that the Study.com Database Management course was approved and pre-planned as part of my BSBA CIS AOS. (Still waiting on official credit evaluation before it can be officially applied.) So they are definitely usable in the same AOS.

Complete:

WGU Ambassador
That's good to know. Thankfully TESU worked with me and got my Cybersecurity DSST approved and ordered another eval for me. They were really great about it. I enrolled for the cornerstone class for December. I might just do the capstone then too.
Does the study.com discount apply to the tuition for the capstone course?
(10-24-2018, 08:39 AM)fork Wrote: Does the study.com discount apply to the tuition for the capstone course?

Yes.

Complete:

WGU Ambassador
Hmmm, I'm not seeing it. Would you happen to know which email address to use to ask TESU to apply this? I'm sure I can figure it out but if you happen to know it would help me out.

Nevermind I just sent *someone* an email, I'm sure it will get to where it needs to be. So many email addresses there...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 522 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 7 451 04-08-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: PLEX
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 475 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 15 2,291 04-04-2024, 08:08 AM
Last Post: Kones
  TESU TECEP® APS-1000-TE Medical Terminology emmaya 6 258 04-02-2024, 10:56 PM
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 21 1,228 04-01-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  BSN Grant opportunity at TESU indigoshuffle 2 232 03-31-2024, 01:38 AM
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 374 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 300 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 277 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27