Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I just got a new job! :)
burbuja0512 Wrote:Part time will be even better!!! You'll have the best of both worlds and your kids will learn from your example both at home and in an AMAZING job!!

Regarding the background check, I think it's just standard at most places. I had to go through all that too for my upcoming job. I was told that the credit check wasn't to check my credit score, it was to see if there was fraud - more than anything to help me, but also since I'll have signing authority on more than 5k. They said that they didn't care if I had good or bad credit, just wanted to make sure that there wasn't anyone out there pretending to be me. The HR lady also told me that it's actually really helpful.. she doesn't usually see fraud, but when she does, it doesn't mean they won't hire you - it means that they'll let you know that someone else is using your identity and try to help you fix it. No clue if it's the same at your new job, just thought I'd mention it.

Excellent point, I hadn't considered that!
Congrats!! Sounds like an awesome job for you!! Smile
CLEP:
West. Civ I - 65, A&I Lit - 66, Biology - 65, Chemistry - 55, Nat. Sciences - 64, US Hist I - 68, Am. Lit - 61, US Hist II - 62, Am. Gov. - 67, Macroecon. - 63, Microecon. - 75, College Comp. - 66, Prin. of Marketing - 68, Prin. of Mngt - 71

DSST:
Civil War and Reconst. - 70, Prin. of Supervision - 443, Intro to World Rel - 477, Intro to Bus - 443, HR Mgmt - 64, Intro to Computing - 458, Prin. of Fin. Acct - 80Big Grin, Bus Ethics & Society - 447, Prin. of Finance - 437

ALEKS:
Int. Algebra, College Algebra, Precalc, Intro to Stats., Business Stats.

SAYLOR:
Corp. Comm - 78%, Bus Law and Ethics - 76%

PENN FOSTER:
Manag. Acct. - 96, Int. Acct. 1 - 98, Int. Acct. 2 - 87, Cost Acct. - 94, Strategic Bus. Mngt. - 95

ADAMS STATE:
Auditing - 89

LSU:
Adv. Acct. - B

TECEP:
Fed Income Taxation

BSBA Accounting
Great news Jennifer!

Wow, a dream job at a dream school! It's so pretty out there! This is a win-win…you can work at something you love and still be with your kids. Fantastic! Yeah, I agree with the other folks that it's pretty common now for companies to check multiple sources to make sure you are everything your resume says you are and also to make sure there is no fraud. My brother had someone using his picture from Facebook to pretend he was my brother! Creepy right? Yeah, so now it's pretty common for people to be sure from the start that everything is good to go.

SO HAPPY for YOU!

Tara

cookderosa Wrote:Well, I wanted to share my good news with my IC Family Smile
Despite not yet graduating (I'm finishing my thesis now) I landed a fantastic job at The University of North Carolina Chapel Hill! :hurray: I start Monday!! I will be chef-nerd extraordinaire in their Nutrition Research Institute metabolic kitchen which is one of the leading facilities studying Nutritional genomics in the USA! (What is Nutritional genomics? Nutritional genomics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) I'm working for the lead scientist on an exciting research project. I'll essentially be the food person- if it relates to food- that's me. NRI is a really cool place, and I am WAY out of my comfort zone, but I read something the other day that gave me the courage to apply: "What you want is on the other side of fear" and it turned out to be true! What was that about CLEP credit and distance learning not being sufficient? Ignore the haters! hilarious
Tara

I'm done!Smile Thanks to InstantCert, Study.com, ALEKS, CLEP and a LOT of work on my part and a lot of support from hubby and family. If I can do it, so can you! 

Degrees:
Thomas Edison State College (TESC) - Bachelor of Science Nursing; RN, BSN (Graduated in the top of 1/4 of class with Sigma Theta Tau honors)
+ 3 courses completed towards MSN.
Excelsior College (EC) - Associates in Applied Science (passed NCLEX- RN exam and became a Registered Nurse)

The test's Passed (CLEP'S, DSST's, ALEK's, etc.):
Credits/Course
3          Introduction to Sociology
3          Lifespan and Developmental Psychology
3          Humanities (64)
3          History of the United States I (60)
3          History of the United States II (65)
3          American Government (54)
6          Biology (58)
6          Analyzing and Interpreting Literature (67)
3          Principals of Management (72)
3          ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra
3          CLEP Intro to Psych
3          ALEKS: Statistics

YOU CAN DO IT!!![Image: smile.png]
thanks everyone- just finished day 2. I'm working this week a lot just to get up and going, but much less after. It's awesome, really really really awesome. And, there's monkeys. Smile I was right that they had other plans for me, my scientist (not sure what to call her, my boss?) would like to assemble a team of core people she can use with all her studies. I would specifically be used for studies that incorporate feeding. I work with an RD and we are writing a menu/recipe/protocol for a study that is coming up, and when it starts I'll be the food person- order/prep/cook/portion/freeze. I don't know if I'll be helping with actual people, it's possible just because there are not many of us, but "my" kitchen is amazing- top of the line. If it deals with food- it's my responsibility. They have a cafeteria, but my kitchen is considered a lab, so they can't come in lol.
I can't emphasize enough, but I'm going to try-people here OFTEN question themselves- testing, distance learning, the whole bit. Ignore it. Every door might not open, but this is just an example of saying "what they hell?" and trying! EVERY person in that building (except the receptionist and blood girl) have a swanky PhD plus something else, most popular second degree is MD. The rest have RDs or second PhDs. I'm not bragging or trying to over-share, I'm just CONSTANTLY amazed when "everyone" says something, and it turns out "everyone" doesn't know squat. If my credentials sucked, they wouldn't have hired me - with my TESC degree and DL masters, and here I am! YOU GO FOR IT!!! AIM HIGH!
Congratulations! So happy for you!
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
All the degrees in the world can't top someone with good common sense and good problem solving skills. The kind of education you have gained would not have allowed someone who was not motivated to progress. The kind of education you have is for people that can think outside of the box. As you said, they hired you and understand your background. Maybe the big boss wants a new fresh perspective. I bet the PhD's went to B&M lectures and internships where someone literally was right there that they could raise their hand or meet up with and and ask a question in person. I bet they could visit that professor and ask questions during office hours. With distance learning most of it is about your common sense, organization and ability to teach yourself. A lot of distance learning is about time management and drive to complete something you set out to do. What could be a better match than that kind of experience for project management? Now with that information known... which kind of graduate do you think has better life skills? Which graduate do you think you could hand off of a project to if you were the director and could not take on the project by yourself?

Well I know who I would put my money on. You are in the "fitting in and learning stage". You will have to learn a lot in the days and weeks to come. There are things you can learn from even the snootiest people. So lots of times when you are the newbie, it's wise to sit back and say little…as key concepts are addressed paddle them back if you are going to ask a question. For example….Let's say they take you on a walking tour and they say 'This is the place where we feed the monkeys, it's important that you weigh them before and after their feeding because they are on a set schedule.' As you are walking away to the next station or if they ask if you have any questions…you look smart if you show you understand and were listening. So you might reply with something like this, "Dr. (so and so), I can appreciate your stressing the importance of making sure we weigh the monkeys before and after feedings, as that is a critical data set…do you have a set schedule for all the monkeys in place already and where would I find that? Is the time table for weighing spelled out in the Protocol or where would I find that information"?(or whatever) This is just a corny example off the top of my head, but if you have a question, try to sit back and see if they answer it. If they do not answer it, make a note of any questions you still have.

One really valuable thing my grandfather (who was very intelligent) taught me is... when you are new in a job you can't possibly remember everything. It's information overload. So make it a priority to learn at least 3 things very well the first day. Or in short think of a category and tackle one thing at a time. I.e on day one, you might chose from the following…learn 3 terms, learn about 3 helpful people (and know their cube/office location and get their phone extension off their door/if they hand you their business info), learn 3 places to get information, or 3 of the names for the data systems you use and for which studies…you get the idea. But if you learn 3 things a day you will KNOW 6 things in 2 days, 9 things in 3 days, 12 things in 4 days etc. People will think you listen to them and by knowing who the helpful people are (and having more than one of them in the back of your head), you can build trust slowly. On your drive home in the car at hopefully 3 or more traffic lights or slow downs in traffic…review the 3 things you learned that day in the car while you at stuck sitting there. If you have additional questions, think of where, who and how you might find the answers the next day. Then, let it go.

The other thing my grandfather taught me is write things down. People forget…paper doesn't forget.

And last but not least have confidence! I think I speak for the rest of the Instantcert family, that we believe in you no matter what letters you have after your name or where you went to school. I like to think of it this way…If I was in a burning building, would I want a PhD from Harvard to think about the way out of the fire and smoke filled building, or an experienced fireman with no degree to show me the way? Exactly. You go in there and give your best!

With support and total confidence in you,
Tara

cookderosa Wrote:thanks everyone- just finished day 2. I'm working this week a lot just to get up and going, but much less after. It's awesome, really really really awesome. And, there's monkeys. Smile I was right that they had other plans for me, my scientist (not sure what to call her, my boss?) would like to assemble a team of core people she can use with all her studies. I would specifically be used for studies that incorporate feeding. I work with an RD and we are writing a menu/recipe/protocol for a study that is coming up, and when it starts I'll be the food person- order/prep/cook/portion/freeze. I don't know if I'll be helping with actual people, it's possible just because there are not many of us, but "my" kitchen is amazing- top of the line. If it deals with food- it's my responsibility. They have a cafeteria, but my kitchen is considered a lab, so they can't come in lol.
I can't emphasize enough, but I'm going to try-people here OFTEN question themselves- testing, distance learning, the whole bit. Ignore it. Every door might not open, but this is just an example of saying "what they hell?" and trying! EVERY person in that building (except the receptionist and blood girl) have a swanky PhD plus something else, most popular second degree is MD. The rest have RDs or second PhDs. I'm not bragging or trying to over-share, I'm just CONSTANTLY amazed when "everyone" says something, and it turns out "everyone" doesn't know squat. If my credentials sucked, they wouldn't have hired me - with my TESC degree and DL masters, and here I am! YOU GO FOR IT!!! AIM HIGH!
Tara

I'm done!Smile Thanks to InstantCert, Study.com, ALEKS, CLEP and a LOT of work on my part and a lot of support from hubby and family. If I can do it, so can you! 

Degrees:
Thomas Edison State College (TESC) - Bachelor of Science Nursing; RN, BSN (Graduated in the top of 1/4 of class with Sigma Theta Tau honors)
Excelsior College (EC) - Associates in Applied Science (passed NCLEX- RN exam and became a Registered Nurse)

Credits/Course
6          Biology (58)

Thanks Tara! I appreciate ALL your support Smile It means a lot to me!!!

P.S. they don't let me near the monkeys lol!
You're welcome Smile You've always been so supportive of me and the other IC people…it's the least I can offer.

LOL! About the monkeys! You get the idea though…listening skills go a long way to helping adjust, know what's expected, makes you look smart, and remember all the zillions of things they throw at you. Once you get comfy there…THEY better watch out for YOU! I can imagine you now…everything in alphabetical order, arranged according to date, then by color. You are the most organized person I have seen post on here. Being organized matters and it certainly makes people understand you are a clear minded person when you have your ducks in a row.

So they won't let you play with the monkeys? Play with the ducks (the hypothetical ducks) instead Smile

And don't let the turkeys get you down ;D
Tara

cookderosa Wrote:Thanks Tara! I appreciate ALL your support Smile It means a lot to me!!!

P.S. they don't let me near the monkeys lol!
Tara

Degrees:

Credits/Course
6          Biology (58)

I am excited for you and your new job. These days just about every job requires a background check. (At least the ones I have had.) When I went to a new church I always tried to learn two new names each Sunday. (While secretly wishing the congregation would just wear name tags for a while!) In no time I would know the names. This is back when I was doing pulpit supply and it did seem like as soon as I got their names down it was time to move on.... But you are staying! Give yourself time. I love Getiton's grandfather's advice!
Thanks! I still miss my Grandfather…he was so easy going, smart, loved a good joke, and was always kind and fair to people. I think he would be glad I listened to him and even happier if his advice helped out someone who was a nice person like Cook Smile

hicandle Wrote:I am excited for you and your new job. These days just about every job requires a background check. (At least the ones I have had.) When I went to a new church I always tried to learn two new names each Sunday. (While secretly wishing the congregation would just wear name tags for a while!) In no time I would know the names. This is back when I was doing pulpit supply and it did seem like as soon as I got their names down it was time to move on.... But you are staying! Give yourself time. I love Getiton's grandfather's advice!
Tara

Degrees:

Credits/Course
6          Biology (58)