Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Hustled by Private University: Now, No Choice But CLEP!.....Details Inside!
The Situation
I was always an exceptional student throughout my school years. High A's with the occassional B a majority of the time; a C here and there in my Junior/Senrior years of high school when I realized I was in the home stretch and slackeded off a bit in a few classes I didn't even need to graduate. Nothing major. Scored high on SAT's, the whole 9 yards. I always did what what I was "supposed to do" in the world of academia up until graduation.

I took about a year off from high school after my graduation in 2003, not because I wanted to necessarily, but because I had no one pointing me in the right direction. Not even the slightest prod. At 18-19ish I didn't have a clue what to do next. My parents had no college money for me and did not encourage me to go to college despite their respectable income of around around $80k/year which has increased since then. Education isn't terribly important to them as they work in an extremely lucrative business which is a completely different subject all together. In fact, I distincly remember graduating and hearing my mom ask me after high school: "So now what are you gonna do?" Not having a definitive answer, I went out and got a hum-drum job.

A year of pointless low-income jobs passes and I take the initiative as a life-long computer freak to enroll myself in an Information Technology program at a new private university that was just opening in town: American Intercontinental University. I took a tour. The building was new, clean, and high-tech with a slick finish. I was hooked, or so I thought.

I am accepted to the program and shortly thereafter I was notified that the school won't be able to open for another semester because they are still going through the accreditation process. "No problem!" It was said to me that I would be able to start with their online classes and just transfer them into the brick-and-mortar school when it opens! "Jump-start on the classes?" I thought. "Sweet! That's fine with me!" I supposed considering the building itself was still being set up.

Low and behold the school does NOT get the accreditation. The school does NOT open. Here is the kicker though: I had allready paid $22,000 for an Associate's Degree in Business/Information Technology for a school that wasn't even going to be opening in my town anymore. Oh and guess what what, none of the credits transfer from "American Intercontinental University" to any major university in town. Well, I shouldn't say NONE...my art appreciation class transfers....*sigh*

After getting the pointless degree. the $22,000 piece of paper, I've worked 3 years for a small business for mediocre pay and have decided to finally go back to school for a Bachelor's in IT at age 24 to pursue a career in the field of computing, something I am actually interesting in and can make a decent buck. (Note: A quick google search of AIU today results in almost nothing but angry students and "rip-off reports" - wish I would have known all of this before getting into the debt.)

I can complete the IT degree in about 1 1/2 years or 2 years depending on scheduling IF I CLEP out of all of the courses that didn't transfer. I can live with that. So, my goal is to finish college in 2 years or less so that I can graduate somewhat "on time" as our society dictates, around age 25.

There is only one thing in my way.......

THE CLEPS

So, here's what I need to do in the next 12 months if I am to graduate in 2 years or less as I have set forth in my goal.

-General Biology
-Financial Accounting
-Business Law
-Intro Management
-Intro Marketing
-Macroeconomics
-Microeconomics
-English Composition-Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
-U.S. History 1
-U.S. History 2
-Western Civilization I: Ancient Near East to 1648
-American Government
-Information Systems & Computer Applications

Classes in BOLD are most important because they are prerequisites for other classes I need that i cannot CLEP out of.

I just started school at a major university this week as a 60 credit FRESHMAN because nothing transfers from my old "school". Can you imagine how much of a sucker I feel like?

Anyway....

The Question

Of the BOLD classes listed above. Which do you all suggest I tackle first as a newbie to this CLEP testing thing I need those 4 in the next 4 months maximum. I can't seem to find much info on Financial Accounting, this one has me worried the most. I really want to get this CLEP thing off to a good start because I could use some encouragement with the workload ahead of me.

Any general tips are appreciated!

Thanks!

P.S. Any legal know-how's out there know if there is any way I could potentially sue my former institution for false adverstisement or anything along those lines? There is deffinately many people out there who have been screwed by this AIU crock.
I know you feel old and jaded, but put a period and move on. You are young enough to go in any direction.

When I was 17, I graduated high school and went into chef training. I too took on student loans (for more than yours) and graduated from the "best" culinary school in the USA. No one really tells you that cooks make minimum wage and work 50 hours per week. Of course if you give 110% you can get a chef job for $30K AND put in another 10-15 hours per week. Benefits? None. So- long story short- the world is full of stories like yours (and mine) and even people who just "want a change" for something fresh and different.

When I started my BA, none of my culinary courses transferred, but I had 2 credits from years back. I finished my BA at TESC in 18 months. For 6 months I CLEPped my butt off, then enrolled for 1 year doing classes online (at TESC as well as 2 other colleges) and more testing. Compared to some people here, that was a leisurely pace Wink

If you already have your college's CLEP policy (in writing) and you are 100% sure that those classes will apply to your degree, then jump in with both feet. On a side note- Analyzing and Interpreting Literature IS NOT the same as English Composition. Double check which one you need (My money says they only take English Comp with Essay)

The trick to passing a CLEP is knowing what to study, and having the right study material. Use Instant Cert and/or I highly suggest the REA subject books. You could spend an entire master's degree studying history- so don't make the mistake of going too deep. Wide and broad. Lastly, buy the CLEP OFFICIAL GUIDE. It's about $20 and has all the practice tests for all the exams. Also, most people will tell you that from your list, marketing and management are the two easier exams.

Welcome and good luck!
I'm not trying to point you in a different direction. I'm trying to point out other options that you may not be aware of.

According to this American InterContinental University (AIU) - Accreditation
AIU is accredited by SACS, which means that all of your courses would most likely transfer directly into TESC, Excelsior and Charter Oak. Just because one college doesn't accept AIU credit doesn't mean all colleges won't.

You could apply all of your AIU credits towards a BSBA in Computer Information Systems here Thomas Edison State College | BSBA in Computer Information Systems Credit Distribution
Excelsior - BS Business 2008
Son #1 TESC BSBA Computer Information Systems completed June 2010
Son #2 TESC BA Computer Science completed November 2010 Currently in Florida State (FSU) Masters CS program and loving it
If you have some knowledge about computers, I'd recommend taking Information Systems first. If you use InstantCert to suppliment your previous knowledge, you should pass with a decent score. I'm not even that into computers, yet I found the test quite easy with InstantCert.

Analyzing and Interpreting could also be a good one to start with. But like cookderosa said, make sure your college doesn't need an exam with essay before you take it.
Ouch, that stinks. Good for you for getting right back in the game. I stopped and started so many times, it's embarassing and none of my reasons came close to being as discouraging as yours. I give you credit (oops no pun intended). Don't worry about the age thing, at least don't let that discourage you if you don't meet it. Some of us are at least twice your age (eh hmm) and we are still plodding along. Go at a pace that makes your goal attainable. Good luck, you can do it.

cate
BS (UMUC) in 2010, 30+ years in the making!!

Intro to Computing 63
Astronomy 63
Technical Writing 62
Principles of Mgt 71
Principles of Marketing 68
Substance Abuse 467
College Math 56
Principles of Finance 425
Principles of Statistics 458

Exams: ALL DONE!!!!!!!!!!

GRADUATION--UMUC--MAY 15, 2010 (unbelievable)
After a bit of checking last night, it turns out that your college IS regionally accredited. If your current college doesn't accept your credits, it's a personal decision for them- you need to consider other colleges. ANY college in the country would likely accept your credits. RUN FAST AWAY before you waste years duplicating credit.
First of all, welcome to the forums. It's great to have you here.
Secondly, I think you've gotten some great information already. If I were in your shoes, I would seriously be looking at TESC or one of the other big 3. If you spend some time reading the specific part of the forum, you can get a sense of which one might appeal to you best.

The reasons that I agree with those suggestions are:
1) you obviously have the ability to do independent studying/work as documented by your "getting a jump start" at the other school.
2) you haven't let the set back from the other school halt your determination to get a degree. Kudos to you for not letting this beat you.
3) you have the initiative to take clep tests.

Are the big 3 cheap? No. Are they flexible, convenient and a good option? yes. I am attending a B&M school that I always wanted to attend. If it weren't for that long term desire to attend this school, I would have seriously considered one of the big 3. I think if you went that route, you could finish your degree much sooner than you're anticipating finishing now. If they took your hours, you'd be half way to a degree instead of starting from scratch. That would save you time & money in the long run.

That's just my thoughts.
Hope this helps.
Smile Cleps:
Introduction Business Law 65
Principles of Management 70
Principles of Marketing 71
A&I Literature 68
American Lit 59
Educational Psychology 68
Social sciences & history 65
Western Civilization I 64

What lies before us and what lies behind us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Just realized I didn't answer your question. If you've sticking with the new school I would consider taking English Composition, American Government and Information Systems first, primarily because you've indicated that they're required. I'd save financial accounting & general biology until the end. I would group the histories together, the economics together and the remaining businesses together. Of the business classes, I would do management, marketing and then business law.

If you are considering one of the other colleges mentioned in the thread, I'd start with analyzing literature and the business classes, while you wait to see what they'll accept.

Hope that helps.
Smile Cleps:
Introduction Business Law 65
Principles of Management 70
Principles of Marketing 71
A&I Literature 68
American Lit 59
Educational Psychology 68
Social sciences & history 65
Western Civilization I 64

What lies before us and what lies behind us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Namivie Wrote:Are the big 3 cheap? No.

No? I don't remember exactly what my total cost was, but I'm pretty sure it was south of $10K. At what price would YOU consider an accredited Bachelor's degree "cheap?"
My Excelsior Journey
Bachelor of Science in General Business, cum laude
Excelsior College
parabolate Wrote:...Low and behold the school does NOT get the accreditation. The school does NOT open. Here is the kicker though: I had allready paid $22,000 for an Associate's Degree in Business/Information Technology for a school that wasn't even going to be opening in my town anymore. Oh and guess what what, none of the credits transfer from "American Intercontinental University" to any major university in town. Well, I shouldn't say NONE...my art appreciation class transfers....*sigh*

...I just started school at a major university this week as a 60 credit FRESHMAN because nothing transfers from my old "school". Can you imagine how much of a sucker I feel like?

...Any general tips are appreciated!

Thanks!

P.S. Any legal know-how's out there know if there is any way I could potentially sue my former institution for false adverstisement or anything along those lines? There is deffinately many people out there who have been screwed by this AIU crock.

I quoted a few sections of your original post and I'll work my way up from the bottom.

Quote:Any legal know-how's out there know if there is any way I could potentially sue my former institution for false adverstisement or anything along those lines? There is deffinately many people out there who have been screwed by this AIU crock

I don't think so. Not if the credits you earned there are actually accredited.

Quote:...Any general tips are appreciated!

Here's my tip: Consider the post you made today as the first step towards abandoning the READY-FIRE-AIM approach you've taken towards earning your degree. As you've learned, many institutions do not want to transfer in much, if any, credit. It's very odd that you found an institution that does not want the transfer credit--but WILL take a lot of CLEP. You did what most people do. You wandered in to colleges and universities that were nearby, asked questions and accepted the answers you were given. What you (and most people) really need is a college "broker"--someone you could go to who had knowledge of the entire US higher education system who is NOT affiliated with any one institution. You would tell them what you have and describe your goals and they would provide you with all of your legitimate options.

As far as I know, those people don't exist--and if they do they certainly don't advertise enough. But you found US--and collectively we can be a good resource. So you should STOP dead in your tracks, spend 3-4 hours reading the posts on this forum, ask some questions, and THEN start exploring some courses of action.

As you now know, the information you obtained so far was faulty. AIU is accredited--REGIONALLY accredited (make sure you read up on Regional Accreditation (RA), National Accreditation (NA) and professional accreditations so you understand how all that works)--unless the school had just stolen the name. Assuming you attended the regionally accredited AIU, it would be INSANE to duplicate all that credit.

Here's what NOT to do. Don't go running back to your school with only the information in these posts. You will likely be quickly buried in vague warnings and dubious statistics. Do your research, formulate your questions and THEN find a counselor who will sit down and honestly explain WHY they REFUSE to accept virtually ANY RA credits and think it's a good idea for you to simply START OVER. I'd love to hear what they have to say if you go in there informed.

If you do that, the conversation will likely end with a very confused counselor--who truly may not fully understand this themselves--saying something along the lines of, "well, you can try that if you want but I wouldn't do that" or something along those lines. If you'd still like to attend that institution, maybe you could even convince them to reconsider accepting your previously earned credits. I would ask them if they would accept credit from other RA schools. If the answer is yes, then on what basis are they discriminating against you and your RA AIU credits.

Good luck!
My Excelsior Journey
Bachelor of Science in General Business, cum laude
Excelsior College

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Prompt Engineering Course by Vanderbilt University on Coursera LevelUP 2 224 03-23-2024, 05:28 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 12 1,616 03-22-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 1,562 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  American Public University? nomaduser 33 2,939 03-14-2024, 07:45 PM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 601 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh
  University of Idaho acquiring University of Phoenix bjcheung77 10 1,243 03-04-2024, 06:26 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  University of California System Bans Fully Online Degrees davewill 23 3,616 03-01-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  LLB University of London Online newdegree 1 352 02-28-2024, 01:46 PM
Last Post: freeloader
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 482 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Metropolia University Common Problems Resolved mariobros1985 21 2,491 02-24-2024, 06:39 AM
Last Post: therightstuff