Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How many classes a session?
(08-18-2021, 08:46 PM)LoveToLearn Wrote: Good evening,

It's been encouraging and helpful to read about UMPI's degrees and courses. Thank you to everyone who has posted to share their stories and experiences! I'm planning to start my studies at UMPI on the 30th.

This thread was of interest to me because I am trying to get a sense of how many courses I can expect to complete in a session while working 25-30 hours per week outside of my home. I understand that course completion depends on many factors, but I am writing now to request your input about the number of hours invested in your studies each week. Some contributors have noted that they work 40 hours per week, but many others have made no mention of employment outside of the home. I'm not sure if accomplishing 7-8 courses per session is only possible for a "full-time student" or if it can be expected for a person working PT or FT at a job in addition to their student learning. 

Could you please share your experience with UMPI courses and how many hours per day and per week you are investing in your studies? That would be immensely helpful to me and much appreciated!  Smile

According to the YourPace Director, the typical student completes an average of 2-3 courses per term. I completed 48 credits in 3 terms. I can't tell you how many hours a week I worked on my courses. I don't work the same number of hours or days every week. Every course is different. Some have a lot of content such as Financial Management and others have a small amount of content such as American Government. I completed American Government including the rough draft and final submission of the Final Assessment in 3 days. Meanwhile, Financial Management took me 2 weeks to complete the course content, all of the math problems, and the final exam. Your previous knowledge is a big factor into how long it takes you to complete courses as well. 

A full time student isn't 7-8 courses per term. A full time student is 2 courses per term. Part time is 1 course per term.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • Pikachu
(08-18-2021, 09:46 PM)nmnyc11 Wrote:

It's been encouraging and helpful to read about UMPI's degrees and courses. Thank you to everyone who has posted to share their stories and experiences! I'm planning to start my studies at UMPI on the 30th.

This thread was of interest to me because I am trying to get a sense of how many courses I can expect to complete in a session while working 25-30 hours per week outside of my home. I understand that course completion depends on many factors, but I am writing now to request your input about the number of hours invested in your studies each week. Some contributors have noted that they work 40 hours per week, but many others have made no mention of employment outside of the home. I'm not sure if accomplishing 7-8 courses per session is only possible for a "full-time student" or if it can be expected for a person working PT or FT at a job in addition to their student learning. 

Could you please share your experience with UMPI courses and how many hours per day and per week you are investing in your studies? That would be immensely helpful to me and much appreciated!  Smile

I know this may not be helpful, but it really does depend on many factors. I've been working full time and have a lot of medical treatments so I had limited time. On average, I devoted one full weekend day (abt 6 hrs) and shorter 1-2 hr sessions 2 to 3 times a week, sometimes using my lunch break to study or work on assignments. I finished 9 courses, plus one on SDC, but I had extensive experience and training in 6 of them and was at least somewhat familiar with the others. I mostly just needed electives, so I got to choose most of them and tried to do one time-consuming class while using my second slot for shorter courses or ones that were easier for me. I also sped through the ones I was really interested in. For example, I worked in HR for 15 years and enjoy the field, so I finished HR management in about 2.5 hrs. I took 2.5 weeks for a different class I knew little about and struggled to focus on it. It also depends on how much work is assigned. I had classes with few milestones and others that required five or six 3-4 page essays before the final. If possible, block off time or set a schedule and do your best to stick to it. You can be flexible... if I missed a few days or felt behind, I canceled weekend plans or stayed up later to do more. Anyway, I think you'll be fine. Best of luck to you!

Thank you so much for sharing your experience and the details about your study habits. It is very helpful! I understand that every person's journey will be unique, but it is encouraging to hear the stories of those who have been down the road ahead of me. Since I've not taken an UMPI course yet, my only recent experience with online learning is through Study.com. I'm interested to see how the presentation of material is similar to and different from that platform. There are so many questions in my mind about this new adventure!  From what everyone on here has said, though, it sounds like UMPI is terrific. I am excited to begin my studies there soon! Many thanks for sharing your insight Smile

(08-19-2021, 08:33 AM)ss20ts Wrote:

According to the YourPace Director, the typical student completes an average of 2-3 courses per term. I completed 48 credits in 3 terms. I can't tell you how many hours a week I worked on my courses. I don't work the same number of hours or days every week. Every course is different. Some have a lot of content such as Financial Management and others have a small amount of content such as American Government. I completed American Government including the rough draft and final submission of the Final Assessment in 3 days. Meanwhile, Financial Management took me 2 weeks to complete the course content, all of the math problems, and the final exam. Your previous knowledge is a big factor into how long it takes you to complete courses as well. 

A full time student isn't 7-8 courses per term. A full time student is 2 courses per term. Part time is 1 course per term.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me about this. I appreciate your insight into the UMPI programs. I knew, from reading the forum posts, that 7-8 courses was not the norm, but I was intrigued by the idea of accomplishing that many courses per term. (Or really anything more than 4 per session, which is my goal.) Perhaps it's much like Study.com where I was able to complete several courses very quickly and then others over a longer period of time depending on my prior knowledge or family schedule. I'm excited to get started at UMPI in a week or so!

I hope you enjoy your studies for your second degree at UMPI!
[-] The following 1 user Likes LoveToLearn's post:
  • carebear_007

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which Sophia Classes Meet These Requirements? gc82 2 197 03-15-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Which BUS Classes would be the quickest tombbraider 4 372 03-11-2024, 02:39 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Study Plan to Earn 30 Credits in a Single 8-week Session FM1 14 1,427 03-04-2024, 11:49 PM
Last Post: CCCollege
  Sophia Classes for BA Psych? CollegeBraveB 2 289 03-01-2024, 09:10 PM
  Failed classes prissy1pris 9 1,082 01-29-2024, 12:40 AM
Last Post: TammaraOligschlaeger
  I've been accepted into the Spring 2 session at UMPI! FM1 10 850 01-28-2024, 11:30 PM
  Fastest UMPI classes since the change to brightspace? CanICode 8 1,314 11-19-2023, 10:47 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Study vs UMPI BUS Classes klone 4 739 11-14-2023, 06:50 PM
  Sophia UL Classes Accepted at UMPI mohelena02 4 959 11-04-2023, 08:32 PM
Last Post: mohelena02
  UMPI Recommended classes to take mrguy 5 958 10-23-2023, 05:55 PM