Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hit a wall
OK so I need to get moving again - what's up with that? I have not taken a single exam since I have started dreading statistics (back when Steelers was taking it, lol) and somehow I have hit a brick wall in my progress. I am stalled at 89 credits. I don't know what is wrong with me and how I can get out of my funk - I am just so sick of it all. Anyone experienced this?
Johanna Wrote:OK so I need to get moving again - what's up with that? I have not taken a single exam since I have started dreading statistics (back when Steelers was taking it, lol) and somehow I have hit a brick wall in my progress. I am stalled at 89 credits. I don't know what is wrong with me and how I can get out of my funk - I am just so sick of it all. Anyone experienced this?

Johanna
I am experiecing this, I am so scared that I might get back to my old ways of starting college and not finishing. I am stuck on 63 credits, my major Block is Algebra (Math). But I have gotton a Private tutor in Math and this seem to have give me some confidence--it has just been a couple of session sso hopefully this helps me.

Any help and suggestions will be much appreciated
mapalo Wrote:Johanna
I am experiecing this, I am so scared that I might get back to my old ways of starting college and not finishing. I am stuck on 63 credits, my major Block is Algebra (Math). But I have gotton a Private tutor in Math and this seem to have give me some confidence--it has just been a couple of session sso hopefully this helps me.

Any help and suggestions will be much appreciated

I just went online to the FEMA website and took a 1 credit class and passed with flying colors. It was very easy and very informative. The class is IS-00240 and is called Leadership and Influence.

Emergency Management Institute - FEMA Independent Study Program

I will receive 1 credit college credit for takign this class once I send in my $60 to Frederick College. They will then send the transcript to Excelsior for free.

http://www.emergencymanagementstudy.com/...y%2007.pdf

I highly recommend taking this course. it could easily be finished in 1 or 2 hours at most and is an easy 1 unit.

It might help you get out of the funk.

There are numerous other classes you can do the same with on the website. (Notice only those marked "college credit" will earn you college credit. the rest are just fun classes.Rolleyes
ImustStudy
----------------------------------------
A.S. Liberal Arts- Excelsior College 2007
B.S. Criminal Justice- Excelsior College 2008
M.B.A.- California Coast University 2012
EdS- Liberty University 2014
EdD- Liberty University 2016

Miscellaneous graduate coursework from University of The Rockies and California InterContinental University (that did me absolutely NO GOOD whatsoever)
Hey Guys,

I have also experienced the 'hump' before.

The best advice I can give you is to focus ONLY on the very next exam. It doesn't matter which exam you will face at some distant and future point, or which exam you took last month or last year.

Only the next exam matters!!!

Pick an exam to take next, and then treat it as if it is the last exam you will ever have to take. Think to yourself, "Just one more exam! I can do one more exam."

You have to convince yourself that it is worth taking just ONE MORE STEP towards your goal.

Focus on a single, reachable, short-term goal.

What worked for me (both times I fell into a funk) was to pick my next exam, then schedule and pay for it. This gave me three incentives to keep going. First, it gave me a single, reachable, short-term goal that wasn't too overwhelming. Second, it gave me a specific DATE to aim for. Third, since I had already paid for the exam, I didn't want to lose the money.

Once you have made that ONE step onward toward your goal, you will be ready to set your next single, reachable, short-term goal. One step at a time is how we do it.

The greatest thing about setting the "next step" as your goal, is that your goal will always be within reach and you will never be more than just one single step away from success.
hilarious

I hope that helps,
Snazzlefrag
My name is Rob

Total Credits: 142 (12 not used).
[SIZE=1]GPA: 4.0
[/SIZE]
Hi,
I have also hit a wall and it is called Algebra. I have spent 2 months at it and feel as tho i cannot do it by myself. I think i need a class. I am a full-time single mom who cannot take a traditional class. Anything out there on-line? I feel like bawling!
Brenda
Sincerely, Brenda

A&P B
Microbiology B
Pathophysiology A
English Comp with Essay C
Intro to Soc 63
Intro to Psych 65
Lifespan Dev Psych B
Gerontology C
Info Tech Comp Applications 53
A&I Literature 62
History 1 52

Working on at present:
Algebra and Public Speaking

Left:

Technical Writing
Chemistry
Statistics
Ethics
Religion
Spanish 1
Phy Ed

Working toward BS-Nursing
[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Navy"]Screw the wall - Go through it, around it, over it, or under it, just don't let yourself become trapped by it!!

Take a look at what you have left to go, map out a plan of attack and execute it: Adapt, Improvise & Overcome!

Start with a topic or two that you might have a particular interest in or may find easier than the rest. Choose exams that may yield 6-credits rather than just 3 and you will close the gap to your diploma quickly.

My wall was math and I chose to save it for the end. I got knocked down once but was able to re-group and get through it and you can too!

The power of positive thinking can and will get you through - know go kick the walls ass!!

Remember, you are part of a collective classroom where WE ARE ALL behind you so let's get through that wall TOGETHER!!

GOOD LUCK!!![/COLOR][/SIZE]
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:
There is no cure other than moving forward. I found that for myself, the rapid and rather obsessive pace keeps me focused. I realized that I am much better when I use intense focus for a short period of time as opposed to dragging it out over a longer period. Like eveyone else, I have too many distractions with owning a business, family life etc...

The Instacert method/formula is perfect for me....obsessive intense study for 1-2 weeks.

I hit my wall with Algebra and took the Penn Foster Technical Math class...after completing half the coursework my confidence came back and I knocked off Statistics, then Ethics, then Organizational Behaviour...all before completing the Tech Math course. I failed the first Tech Math final, but kept moving forward and passed the retake.

You can simultaneously work towards your Algebra goal and continue with your other tests. In reality, the difficulty of the Algebra makes a lot of the other tests pale in comparison....so use that to your advantage and knock off some of the other subjects while you continue with Algebra....

You have proven time and again with your other passes that you can do it!
Excelsior - BS Business 2008
Son #1 TESC BSBA Computer Information Systems completed June 2010
Son #2 TESC BA Computer Science completed November 2010 Currently in Florida State (FSU) Masters CS program and loving it
adnerbe Wrote:Hi,
I have also hit a wall and it is called Algebra. I have spent 2 months at it and feel as tho i cannot do it by myself. I think i need a class. I am a full-time single mom who cannot take a traditional class. Anything out there on-line? I feel like bawling!
Brenda

Aaw! Brenda!

There are several of us here on this board who know EXACTLY how you feel.

Don't give up, okay? You are VERY close to finishing, and where there is a will, there is a way! Judging by the list of accomplishments in your signature, I'd say you have already learned how to overcome all kinds of adversity, fears, and challenges. Right?

Are you enrolled at Excelsior? If so, you should ask your advisor if you can use Penn Foster's "Technical Math I" course to complete your Algebra credits.

I am taking this course myself right now, and even though it is challenging and still somewhat stressful for a math-phobic like me, I can assure you that it is doable. It is cheap ($130 including books and a scientific calculator). It involves studying six individual modules, one at a time. After you study each module, there is an untimed, open-book, 20 to 25-question, multiple choice exam.

You can go as fast or as slow as you need to through the modules, and you don't have to move on to the next module until you are ready.

Once you have completed the six modules, there is a proctored, one hour, open-book exam. You can use your notes, the study guides, and a calculator to answer approximately 15 questions. The proctor can be ANYONE you choose as long as they are not related, and they have at least an Associate's Degree.

You must pass the final exam with a score of 70% or higher to pass the overall course. However, if you don't pass it, you can take an easier version with only seven questions (it is easier because the maximum you can earn on it is 70%...so it is a trade off).

What all this means is....there is hope for you Brenda! They can't stop you THAT easily. If you are willing to put your head down and run against the wind for just a little while longer, you can do this! You WILL finish this!

Please find out for sure if you can take the PFC course. If you can, I would highly recommend it to you. As an added plus, there are several of us who have either taken it already, or are taking it right now. So you will have some friends to help you along the way.

I hope this helps,
Snazzlefrag
My name is Rob

Total Credits: 142 (12 not used).
[SIZE=1]GPA: 4.0
[/SIZE]
adnerbe Wrote:Hi,
Brenda

Everyone is talking about Penn Foster Technical Math class for Algebra. It is structured and when you enroll, they provide you with the books and a calculator. This might be an option - from what I understand it cost $165. To get more info on this course do a forum search and see what others say about this course. Before you decide make sure to check with your advisor if this will work for you.

Good luck.
never2late
(To get a degree)

Enrolled-ECE BS-General Business

Current study:
CSU-Ops Management
STRLN-Business Communication

55 Credits Earned (so far) 22 tests to go:
Tests
Pass
CLEP
Financial Acct, A&I Lit, Info Systems, Prin of Management, Intro to Sociology
DSST
ALEKS
College Algebra, Intermediate Algebra, Intro to Statistics
STRAIGHTERLINE
Prin of MacroEconomics

ECE Info Literacy

B&M Classes
Managerial Acct, Freshman Comp, Nutrition, Human Cultural Geo, Philosophy, Business Math, Elem Algebra, Speech
snazzlefrag Wrote:Are you enrolled at Excelsior? If so, you should ask your advisor if you can use Penn Foster's "Technical Math I" course to complete your Algebra credits.

[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Navy"]Just to echo Snazz (and Never2Late) here, this is how I met my dreaded math requirement and so have many other fellow IC-Forum-Classroom students.

Good Luck![/COLOR][/SIZE]
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  massage wall Makica 3 839 05-23-2017, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Ideas
  At a brick wall sweetcrabhoney 26 2,297 12-03-2015, 11:42 PM
Last Post: rebel100
  How much longer until we're ready? Hit a brick wall... ajbags 11 1,291 04-27-2015, 02:59 PM
Last Post: KittenMittens