Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
High Schooler needs help with Excelsior Degree map
Hey all,
My son is a sophomore in high school and has completed 13 CLEP exams for what should be 45 college credit hours. Our goal is to graduate from college when he graduates from high school.

I've been fine tuning his degree map in Management of Human Resources and had a couple of questions and I wondered if anyone here would check out my degree map to help me make sure i have it laid out right.

Here's the map:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CJEW...sp=sharing

I had a few questions about the Business Core requirements.

1. Will what I have plugged in satisfy those requirements?
  2. Business Communication - For this I was going to have him do UEXCEL Workplace Communications with Computers. Is this the right match? Any other CLEP's, DSST's that would apply?
  3. Computers - For this I was going to have him take CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications. He is planning on taking AP Computer Science Principles his junior year. Will that be a duplicate of either UEXCEL Workplace Communications with Computers or CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications?
  4. If you take the DSST Principle of Finance will Excelsior still count it as upper level. I thought I read they would count the UEXCEL course upper level but not the DSST.
  5. International Business - I wasn't sure how to complete this course. Right now, I've plugged in the Excelsior online course BUS 435 International Business. Is there a better way to do that that's cheaper that Excelsior would accept?
  6. Any other suggestions about the Business Core or the rest of the degree map?
Thanks for any help!
Have you also considered Charter Oak State College and compared degree plans with two schools?

(03-11-2018, 12:20 PM)glgamerica Wrote: [*]Business Communication - For this I was going to have him do UEXCEL Workplace Communications with Computers. Is this the right match? Any other CLEP's, DSST's that would apply?

Thomas Edison State College has a Managerial Communications exam that might work for this...

https://www2.tesu.edu/listalltecep.php

Study.com has an inexpensive international business course that you might be able to replace that Expensive Excelsior course with...

https://study.com/academy/course/busines...l#overview
(03-12-2018, 04:30 PM)Marcus Aurelius Wrote: Have you also considered Charter Oak State College and compared degree plans with two schools?

(03-11-2018, 12:20 PM)glgamerica Wrote: [*]Business Communication - For this I was going to have him do UEXCEL Workplace Communications with Computers. Is this the right match? Any other CLEP's, DSST's that would apply?
[*]

Thomas Edison State College has a Managerial Communications exam that might work for this...

https://www2.tesu.edu/listalltecep.php

[*]
Study.com has an inexpensive international business course that you might be able to replace that Expensive Excelsior course with...

https://study.com/academy/course/busines...l#overview
[*]

I kinda of looked at Charter Oak but moreso I looked at Thomas Edison. While Edison wasn't my first choice, honestly the ease of finding out what I needed to actually know from Excelsior's website was the main reason they got the nod from me.

I'll check out those resources.

Thanks!
Thomas Edison (for some reason) requires students to be at least 21 years old to be admitted. When you get close to applying for formal admission, it might not be a bad idea to apply to both Excelsior and Charter Oak and then go with the option that gives you the most credits. In other words, go with the path of least resistance. They are both fine schools.
(03-13-2018, 08:46 AM)Marcus Aurelius Wrote: Thomas Edison (for some reason) requires students to be at least 21 years old to be admitted. When you get close to applying for formal admission, it might not be a bad idea to apply to both Excelsior and Charter Oak and then go with the option that gives you the most credits. In other words, go with the path of least resistance. They are both fine schools.

That’s s good idea. My plan was to shop him around at a few other colleges on my list as well. I petitioned my college for a few exceptions and received them. It never hurts to ask.
Another option you might want to consider is a competency-based degree. If you want a school with a little name recognition, University of Wisconsin offers several online competency programs. I've heard of people transferring in the lower-level credits (about 60 credits) and then finishing the remainder at U of Wisconsin in one year. It's do-able.

https://flex.wisconsin.edu/
In 2013 Excelsior College did give DSST Principle of Finance as upper level.

Today?

Have you called?
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

(04-10-2018, 12:45 AM)Life Long Learning Wrote: In 2013 Excelsior College did give DSST Principle of Finance as upper level.

Today?

Have you called?

I haven't called. I didn't figure I'd get an answer until we applied or enrolled.

Just saw the footnote on page 35 of this pdf. I'm basing most of my degree map on this pdf but not sure if it still applies.

https://documents.excelsior.edu/document...m-catalog/

I've got my son set up for a business degree for management of human resources.

It says in the footnote on that page that the DSST Principles of Finance isn't considered upper level for business degrees. However it doesn't have that same footnote for the UExcel exam.
[-] The following 1 user Likes glgamerica's post:
  • Life Long Learning
(04-10-2018, 12:41 AM)peatri1 Wrote:
(03-11-2018, 12:20 PM)glgamerica Wrote: Hey all,
My son is a sophomore in high school and has completed 13 CLEP exams for what should be 45 college credit hours. Our goal is to graduate from college when he graduates from high school.

I've been fine tuning his degree map in Management of Human Resources and had a couple of questions and I wondered if anyone here would check out my degree map to help me make sure i have it laid out right.

Here's the map:

2. Business Communication - For this I was going to have him do UEXCEL Workplace Communications with Computers. Is this the right match? Any other CLEP's, DSST's that would apply?
  3. Computers - For this I was going to have him take CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications. He is planning on taking AP Computer Science Principles his junior year. Will that be a duplicate of either UEXCEL Workplace Communications with Computers or CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications?
  4. If you take the DSST Principle of Finance will Excelsior still count it as upper level. I thought I read they would count the UEXCEL course upper level but not the DSST.
  5. International Business - I wasn't sure how to complete this course. Right now, I've plugged in the Excelsior online course BUS 435 International Business. Is there a better way to do that that's cheaper that Excelsior would accept?
Thanks for any help!

Hello,  I may be able to help. I specialize in 365 Degree coaching. I requested access to your document.

The thing about a free online community is that it really gives someone the ability to try it before they buy it. I'm curious why someone with only 1 post should be given any money when hundreds of well-respected and knowledgeable members here will do it for free?
(04-10-2018, 06:36 PM)cookderosa Wrote:
(04-10-2018, 12:41 AM)peatri1 Wrote:
(03-11-2018, 12:20 PM)glgamerica Wrote: Hey all,

Here's the map:

Thanks for any help!

Hello,  I may be able to help. I specialize in 365 Degree coaching. I requested access to your document.

The thing about a free online community is that it really gives someone the ability to try it before they buy it.  I'm curious why someone with only 1 post should be given any money when hundreds of well-respected and knowledgeable members here will do it for free?

I guess if you specifically don't want to help a "paying" member here who isn't selling anything and who:

- contacted and talked to several colleges including Excelsior
- dug in, scoured all the resources on Excelsior.edu, CLEP, DSST, AP, Uexcel and other sites available
- researched and developed our specific degree map and simply shared it on google docs here
--- https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CJEW...sp=sharing
- reviewed the course catalogs & policies at Excelsior multiple times before he posted in a forum specifically for Excelsior
- spent a couple of thousand on:
--- SpeedyPrep subscription for more than a year,
--- 16 CLEPS exam fees
--- 16 testing center fees
--- nearly that many REA study guides and online practice tests
--- parking and garage fees
- and who helped his son pass 16 CLEP exams when he hasn't even finished his sophomore year in high school

...then, why answer?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,155 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,817 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,275 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,621 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,780 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,752 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 4,942 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,938 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,305 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627
  TESU math degree plan. Am I doing this right? jakepg 9 2,656 08-23-2018, 09:20 PM
Last Post: armstrongsubero