Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with WGU Degree Plan
Hello Everybody,

I know somebody who is looking at a Bachelor's in Network Operations and Security at WGU, mainly for the certs. He has no college credits currently, he will be starting from scratch. With me being a Straighterline Junkie, I informed him that the Gen Ed classes can be taken at Straighterline so he can hop right into the IT curriculum. Here are the general education classes I see that are needed, and my best guess at equivalents on SL. Let me know your thoughts:

Introduction to Communication - SL Intro to Comm
English Composition I - SL English Comm I
English Composition II - SL English Comm II
Introduction to Geography - SL Western Civilization I?
Intermediate Algebra - Aleks College Algebra?
Introduction to Probability and Statistics - SL Introduction to Statistics
Introduction to Humanities - SL Intro to Religion
Critical Thinking and Logic - Need guidance here
College Algebra - Aleks PreCalc?
Introduction to Biology - SL Intro to Biology
Natural Science Lab - SL Biology Lab
Integrated Physical Sciences - SL General Chemestry I

I appreciate your feedback on if I am on the right track, and if these classes will work. Also, what about Critical Thinking and Logic, any idea for that requirement? I'd like to help him get rolling quick so he can jump right into the IT courses
I'm walking into the BSCSIA needing the Critical Thinking and Logic course....my understanding is that at best the course can be knocked out in a couple days. At worst, a week. There is a TECEP for it (no idea if it would transfer in, but assuming it would), but I'd say just take it via WGU.

Yes.

Yes.

Maybe. WGU took the Introductory Psychology CLEP for this one for me.

The rest should be good.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

[-] The following 1 user Likes quigongene's post:
  • dan.g
(09-06-2018, 09:47 PM)quigongene Wrote: I'm walking into the BSCSIA needing the Critical Thinking and Logic course....my understanding is that at best the course can be knocked out in a couple days.  At worst, a week.  There is a TECEP for it (no idea if it would transfer in, but assuming it would), but I'd say just take it via WGU.

Yes.

Yes.

Maybe.  WGU took the Introductory Psychology CLEP for this one for me.

The rest should be good.

Thank you! Also looks like I forgot two classes:

Organizational Behavior and Leadership - SL Organizational Behavior?
Principles of Management - Need Guidance on this one, there is a SL Prin of Management class but don't see it on the SL transfer guide.
For the IT degrees principles of management must be taken at WGU and not transferred in. Oddly enough, it can be transferred in for business degrees (caveat: this was the case a year and a half ago when I enrolled, things could have since changed)
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(09-06-2018, 10:08 PM)jsd Wrote: For the IT degrees principles of management must be taken at WGU and not transferred in. Oddly enough, it can be transferred in for business degrees (caveat: this was the case a year and a half ago when I enrolled, things could have since changed)

Thanks for the clarification. So weird how they wouldn't allow it for IT but would allow it for Business. I think one Business course would be okay at the end of the day. Do you see if I am missing any courses that can be easily transferred in?
Baker College BBA (Graduated May 2019)
SL Credits: 54
ALEKS Credits: 9
Check out theBS NOS transfer guide here:

https://partners.wgu.edu/TransferGuideli...curity.pdf

Any course not listed there must be taken at WGU. 

But it gives some idea of the type of courses they’ll accept. SL, Study.com, Sophia are all accepted as I’m sure many other ACE sources (not Shmoop though). We never got a clear answer as to if they accept NCCRS, as far as I know.

FYi, looks like they do accept Principles of Management for transfer now, but it has to be a 4 cr course. Good luck finding that anywhere (SL and everywhere else Ian only going to be 3cr). I was able to finish that course in one day tho by just trying my luck on the final after watching some summary vids, so I wouldn’t stress much about it. I don’t have a business background.

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • dan.g
(09-06-2018, 10:41 PM)jsd Wrote: Check out theBS NOS transfer guide here:

https://partners.wgu.edu/TransferGuideli...curity.pdf

Any course not listed there must be taken at WGU. 

But it gives some idea of the type of courses they’ll accept. SL, Study.com, Sophia are all accepted as I’m sure many other ACE sources (not Shmoop though). We never got a clear answer as to if they accept NCCRS, as far as I know.

FYi, looks like they do accept Principles of Management for transfer now, but it has to be a 4 cr course. Good luck finding that anywhere (SL and everywhere else Ian only going to be 3cr). I was able to finish that course in one day tho by just trying my luck on the final after watching some summary vids, so I wouldn’t stress much about it. I don’t have a business background.

Very useful thanks again. I'm actually contemplating applying for this program also and maybe taking this with my friend, seems like a really good program.
(09-06-2018, 08:52 PM)dan.g Wrote: Hello Everybody,

I know somebody who is looking at a Bachelor's in Network Operations and Security at WGU, mainly for the certs. He has no college credits currently, he will be starting from scratch. With me being a Straighterline Junkie, I informed him that the Gen Ed classes can be taken at Straighterline so he can hop right into the IT curriculum. Here are the general education classes I see that are needed, and my best guess at equivalents on SL. Let me know your thoughts:

I appreciate your feedback on if I am on the right track, and if these classes will work. Also, what about Critical Thinking and Logic, any idea for that requirement? I'd like to help him get rolling quick so he can jump right into the IT courses
I'm not sure your friend will be able to earn credit for both Aleks College Algebra and Aleks Precalculus. Aleks recently restricted some course combinations from being able to receive credit. Aleks Ace Credit-Recommended Details

*Students cannot receive ACE credit for both of the courses in the following combinations:
  • College Algebra and College Algebra with Trigonometry

• College Algebra and PreCalculus

• College Algebra with Trigonometry and Trigonometry

• Trigonometry and PreCalculus

• College Algebra with Trigonometry and PreCalculus

• Introduction to Statistics and Business Statistics

• Introduction to Statistics and Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences

• Business Statistics and Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences
Study.com does offer courses for Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, and PreCalculus, so that may be another option as well.
WGU will accept the higher level algebra course to satisfy both the lower level and higher level if im reading the transfer guide correctly

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

(09-06-2018, 10:59 PM)shadowgem Wrote:
(09-06-2018, 08:52 PM)dan.g Wrote: Hello Everybody,

I'm not sure your friend will be able to earn credit for both Aleks College Algebra and Aleks Precalculus. Aleks recently restricted some course combinations from being able to receive credit. Aleks Ace Credit-Recommended Details

*Students cannot receive ACE credit for both of the courses in the following combinations:
  • College Algebra and College Algebra with Trigonometry

• College Algebra and PreCalculus

• College Algebra with Trigonometry and Trigonometry

• Trigonometry and PreCalculus

• College Algebra with Trigonometry and PreCalculus

• Introduction to Statistics and Business Statistics

• Introduction to Statistics and Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences

• Business Statistics and Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences
Study.com does offer courses for Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, and PreCalculus, so that may be another option as well.

Thanks for pointing that out. I guess College Algebra and Trigonometry as separate courses would be fine?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wanting a masters degree for IT from WGU benon 10 866 01-21-2024, 04:13 AM
Last Post: benon
  New transfer credit for Master degree - WGU Imbanewbie 16 2,076 01-20-2024, 04:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Masters in HR - anyone accelerate through this degree? Whitepines 4 497 01-05-2024, 08:43 PM
Last Post: Quackerz
  Can you pause your degree? Learnsomestuff 9 1,032 11-17-2023, 10:18 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  BSIT TO MSITM Program - Should I take required Certs before enrolling in degree? Brandon.Thomas.Downer 2 370 11-16-2023, 03:39 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New degree in Supply Chain & Operations Management MNomadic 3 1,173 11-10-2023, 08:41 AM
Last Post: jsh1138
  Question about class line up for Software Engineering degree Omece 2 902 10-03-2023, 06:26 AM
Last Post: Omece
  Let's get WGU's CS degree for $5k nomaduser 6 1,481 03-11-2023, 03:19 PM
Last Post: nomaduser
  15-year-old with master’s degree prepares for law school Imbanewbie 7 1,167 03-11-2023, 12:26 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  WGU doctorate degree on the horizon? School putting out survey call for an EdD jsd 2 2,102 03-03-2023, 12:51 AM
Last Post: MNomadic