Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help plan a Degree in Computer Science, IT or Networking
Heart 
First of all, I would like to express my sincere thanks towards this helpful community. I am a secondary school dropout and I came to know about GED through this forum. My very first post on this forum was posted on 01-25-2017 and I started studying for GED and passed my GED on 03-31-2017.

I love networking, web development, programming and computer science and I am thinking to pursue a degree in a relative field. I am a self-learner and I hold a CCNA certification already.

I would like to get a plan on pursuing my degree on a minimum budget. Kindly please recommend me a University / Program and if they accept credits from  Saylor/Schmoop/Straighterline/Study.com courses, etc.

Please advice and Thanks, in advance, for any assistance
Well, you've given several options that aren't necessarily related (all computers, but completely different paths).

I think, first, you need to study some different degrees, to see what interests you. You also need to look at job openings, to see what the different degrees the different jobs are going to require.

Here are some options for degrees (all take ACE, but most are not 100% test-out-able):
WGU (competency-based): BSIT w/ or w/o concentration, BS Cybersecurity, BS SW Dev, BSB in IT Mgmt
TESU: BA in CompSci, BS in IT
EC: BS in IT w/ or w/o concentration
Hodges UPOWER (competency-based): CIT, Cybersecurity, SW Dev
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
IT and computer science cover most or all of those things depending on which school you go to. But, it doesn't really matter if they don't cover one area in depth; that's what certifications are for. Software development will cover web development and programming depending on the school, but this is usually a concentration for a reason. Networking and programming aren't usually majors at the baccalaureate level either. They're normally concentrations. I would not recommend cybersecurity since you didn't express an interest in cybersecurity, information security, or information assurance.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I believe Comp Sci would be at least $1500 more than IT degrees.

I believe any of the specialty ones like Cybersecurity will cost more because there's less tests.

I think ASNSM in Computer Science from TESU can be a good start from me.
http://www.tesu.edu/heavin/asnsm/Computer-Science.cfm

I am an International student and don't know much about the credit transfers / colleges in USA. So can some one kindly tell me the proceedure to get enrolled ? Also what are the credits I can pursuit outside TESU for above program? How do I find it?

Thankyou very much for your replies.
Here's the procedure: http://www.tesu.edu/admissions/Apply-Int...tudent.cfm

In order to transfer credits earned outside the US, you have to have them evaluated by an agency listed on the previous page. If English isn't your first language, then you'll also need the TOEFL. Otherwise, the procedure is the same as for out of state US students, and you can follow the general advice we give here. 

I've attached a spreadsheet for the BACS. I don't have one for the ASNSM-CS. The main difference is an extra theory course that the BACS doesn't require, however if you take it, it will count towards the BACS AOS. I know because I considered trying to get it awarded along with my BACS, but was missing that one theory course. If I had planned it from the beginning, I could probably have worked it in.

That said, we don't generally recommend associate's degrees from TESU for a couple of reasons. First, TESU charges the same residency waiver fee for the associate's that they do for a bachelor's making it rather expensive. Worse, it's never been crystal clear in exactly what circumstances the same fee can apply to both degrees, so there's a risk you could end up paying it a second time. Second, at least in the US, an associate's degree has limited usefulness in the job market.

Attached Files
.xls   TESU BA Computer Science 2016-4.xls (Size: 35.5 KB / Downloads: 39)
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • shamin
I am in a similar situation - except that I am an academic reset student - I already have a degree in engineering (from my home country), but I just want to do it all over again.
As part of the plan, I was doing high school at Penn Foster. I started it for a different reason (to motivate my daughter) but she moved on to other interesting things in life. I persisted and just submitted my last assignment. This completes my high school diploma.
I am torn between the TESU ASNSM and Penn Foster Associate degree with CIS. My high-school college-bound electives take care of 15 credits at Penn Foster, so I'll have to do only 45. Downside, Penn Foster is NA so further options will be limited. I am mostly targeting WGU, and they accept NA degrees, so that might not be a problem. With TESU I'll have more options but I have to do more credits.
(08-28-2017, 11:31 AM)davewill Wrote: Here's the procedure: http://www.tesu.edu/admissions/Apply-Int...tudent.cfm

In order to transfer credits earned outside the US, you have to have them evaluated by an agency listed on the previous page. If English isn't your first language, then you'll also need the TOEFL. Otherwise, the procedure is the same as for out of state US students, and you can follow the general advice we give here. 

I've attached a spreadsheet for the BACS. I don't have one for the ASNSM-CS. The main difference is an extra theory course that the BACS doesn't require, however if you take it, it will count towards the BACS AOS. I know because I considered trying to get it awarded along with my BACS, but was missing that one theory course. If I had planned it from the beginning, I could probably have worked it in.

That said, we don't generally recommend associate's degrees from TESU for a couple of reasons. First, TESU charges the same residency waiver fee for the associate's that they do for a bachelor's making it rather expensive. Worse, it's never been crystal clear in exactly what circumstances the same fee can apply to both degrees, so there's a risk you could end up paying it a second time. Second, at least in the US, an associate's degree has limited usefulness in the job market.

Thankyou for guidance. Do you recommend that I finish the credits from saylor and others before applying to TESU ?
I am aware of Saylor, ALEKS, DSST, The Institutes and CSU CBE Global. Can you please tell me what does SL stands for?

Thankyou for the plan provided.
SL stands for Straighterline: http://www.straighterline.com/

I n general, if you know what school and degree you want to pursue, it's better to chart out a degree plan with credit mappings from these providers and finish as much as you can before enrolling.
(08-28-2017, 01:05 PM)shamin Wrote: Thankyou for guidance. Do you recommend that I finish the credits from saylor and others before applying to TESU ?
I am aware of Saylor, ALEKS, DSST, The Institutes and CSU CBE Global. Can you please tell me what does SL stands for?

Thankyou for the plan provided.

No, I generally recommend applying as soon as you're ready to commit to the process. Go ahead and get your previous credits evaluated and sent in, then will you be sure exactly what courses you need. Meanwhile, go ahead and work on courses you know you'll need, and the TOEFL if it applies. Be sure to include Study.com in your plan, even if it's only one or two courses. TESU offers BIG discounts (you can save over $1000) for the study.com affiliate pricing.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,159 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,822 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,275 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,622 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  TESU Computer Concepts CIS-107 sambeaux 3 1,937 09-01-2018, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Merlin
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,780 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,753 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 4,943 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,939 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,305 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627