Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help
Hey everyone, I am just starting to study for 7 different exams and was wondering if anyone has taken any of the same and if so how they did and what they thought of the exam. Maybe some study tips.

DSST:
Principles of Finance
Principles of Public Speaking
Social Sciences and History

Clep:
Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
Technical Writing
College Math
Chemistry
I have taken Analyzing and Interpreting Literature. It was pretty easy, and I only used the sample test in the official CLEP study guide, since they don't have it on IC
PeachyAsh Wrote:Hey everyone, I am just starting to study for 7 different exams and was wondering if anyone has taken any of the same and if so how they did and what they thought of the exam. Maybe some study tips.

DSST:
Principles of Finance
Principles of Public Speaking
Social Sciences and History

Clep:
Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
Technical Writing
College Math
Chemistry
>>

I've taken social science and history, analyzing lit, and technical writing. *Tech writing is DSST, not CLEP

I found A&I Lit and Technical Writing to be pretty easy. My suggestion, is not to study for all 7 at once, do them 1 at a time. You didn't say when you wanted to be done, but I feel confident suggesting you might be able to say that spend just 1-2 weeks each on: A&I Lit, Technical Writing, College Math, Speech. (depending on your prior skills obviously)
Everything else will be longer. I studied for SS&H for probably a month. I have been studying chemistry (in class) for 2 semesters and still don't know anything. hilarious
Welcome to the forum!

I took 3 of those exams. Here is my feedback:

A&I Lit - http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...#post75628

College Math - http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...#post75629

Chemistry Part 1 - http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...#post66172

Chemistry Part 2 - http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...#post66173

You have found a wonderful place for support. Best wishes on your exams!
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
I'm planning to have everything done by Christmas. My goal is to be done with my Bacholers in Accounting by Feb of next year but to do so I have to pass all of these exams.

NAP, thank you so much for the help, I just glanced through all your info and it is great help.
I don't know what other obligations are in your life, but your goal is in reach if you are willing to put in the effort.

Starting Oct '09 I took a class at TESC for 6 credits, I then Starting in Jan '10took 2 DSST,3 CLEP, 1 ECE 1 ALEKS and 5 FEMA. For a total of 38 credits and finishided my BA degree by the end of May.

All of this while helping out with my family (husband 3 adult children) and working part to full time. Oh and lets not forget 3 trips to South Carolina in that time to visit my Mom and sister and family and help my Mom move.

I could go on and on about what else was going on, the point is are you willing to put in the effort to get this done no matter what life throws at you?

My only failure was after I finished my degree I tried to rush my PRAXIS exams, I did not put enough study into the Math exam and I did not pass. :ack: I am lucky and I can retake that exam July 24th because I knew I might not pass. Again my point, be realistic about your abilities and have a contingency plan. Big Grin

I have taken The A & I lit, this really requires very little in the way of study, there is a list of Literary terms available if you search this forum, study that it will help. Also take all 3 of the free Peterson test they are good practice. I think that is all you would need for that one.

I also took Technical writing, that was also not a test requiring a lot of study, know your grammar. I liked the handbook of technical writing (you should be able to find an older copy at your local library). Again others suggest other books search this forum.

Social Science and History scared me there seemed to be so much information. I studied a long time because I had the SS part down, but I hadn't taken a History class since High School a LOOONNNNG time ago. I skimmed the History Flashcard, the American Government flashcards and the anthropology flashcards. It really wasn't a bad test.

I did not take the college Math exam I did ALEKS instead I only needed 3 more Math credits so it worked well for me. Chemistry I would expect to be a difficult subject unless you have some prior knowledge of the subject do you need that specific exam? If not I would suggest the Biology or (My choice) the Natural Science exam.

Principals of Public speaking all I know is what I have heard, it is a difficult exam to find a place to take and it takes a long time to get results.

I know nothing about any business courses or exams. So that will end my long winded commentsConfusedeeya:

Good Luck with your plan, the people here are a great resource and voice of encouragement.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
Lindagerr, thank you so much for your comments on these exams it really helps to know. Basically I am just trying to fill up my general credits so that I can be done with school by February. The Chemestry is for Science/Technology credits. I have already took biology and so that is why I choose Chemestry. I do have a little knowledge of Chemistry from high school but that is all.
I really like your suggestion on the Aleks instead for math, however I am not sure if my school will accept that. I am at the University of Phoenix right now so if anyone knows that would be great information to have. I really only need 2 math credits.

Basically here are the credits that I need to have all my general ed done. If anyone has suggestions on different exams other than the ones that I have listed I am open to them:
Interdisciplinary Studies - 8 credits
Humanities - 6 credits
Liberal Arts - 3 credits
Math - 2 credits
Science/Technology - 3 credits
Social Sciences - 3 Credits

I have already put some time into the Principles of Finance and the Speech exams so I plan to follow through on those two. I also will be following through with the Social Science and History exams.
I did College Mathematics and aced it. It's a really easy test and you get a calculator all the way through. I'm good at math, but I'm no math freak, so that one shouldn't require too much studying.
Kyle
TESC Liberal Studies BA - 2011
New Charter University MPA - 2012
Georgetown University School of Law - 2016

BA in Liberal Studies - Degree Outline|

Galations 6:9 - "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up."
See if Information Systems and Computer Apps will count as a Science credit. TESC counted it as COS 101 for three Science credits for me and that was one easy test. I didn't even study I just took it off the top of my head. See if your school will count Criminal Justice as a social science that should be an easy pass as well. I'm planning on taking American Government and Intro to Astronomy soon those tests have reputations as being easy passes with IC. I have never read anything to indicate that A&I Lit is anything but an easy six credits.

Good luck!

BA/Liberal Studies, TESC 2011
AAS/Applied Electronic Studies, TESC 2010