Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has anyone taken the Intro to Sociology CLEP?
I am really nervous...this is my first CLEP exam. I was wondering if anyone has take the exam and how they did. I was also interested in knowing what they used to study for it. Lastly, was InstantCert a great help with the study?

Thanks.
I passed with a 54 only using the instantcert flashcards for a total study time of around 14 hours. I definitely was not confident going in to take the test. It was the last of three cleps I took and studied for over the course of nine days. I was pretty burnt out at that point and just wanted to take the test and get it over with regardless if I failed.
Cleps Passed:

Information Systems & Computer Applications - 64
Spanish - 58
Analyzing & Interpreting Lit - 71
Principles of Macroeconomics - 53
Principles of Microeconomics - 61
Introductory Sociology - 54
Calculus - 51
Biology - 67
I passed with 68, using the REA book and a version of SpeedyPrep. Both were excellent for the terms that are essential to know for this test. Also be able to distinguish the different theorists and know their theories. Practice tests are my favorite study resource because they drill learned facts and often bring up additional important things to know. The Official Clep SG has a very accurate practice test.
BA History 2014 - TESC

The Lord is my shepherd. Psalm 23

"I'm going on an adventure!' ~AUJ
"It is our fight." ~DoS
"I am not alone." ~BotFA
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that's given to us." ~FotR
"There is still hope." ~TTT
"Courage..." "This day, we fight!" ~RotK

CLEP: A&I Lit 74 ~ Am Lit 73 ~ Eng Lit 72 ~ Humanities 75 ~ College Math 77 ~ Western Civ I 63 ~ Western Civ II 69 ~ Natural Sci 64 ~ US History I 76 ~ US History II 69 ~ Sociology 68 ~ Am Gov 69 ~ Social Sci & Hist 71 ~ College Comp 61 ~ Marketing 70 ~ Management 66 ~ Psychology 67

DSST: Supervision 453 ~ Tech Writing 61 ~ Computing 427 ~ Middle East 65 ~ Soviet Union 65 ~ Vietnam War 74 ~[COLOR="#0099cc"] Civil War 68

[/COLOR]Other: College+ Biblical Social Justice B ~ ECE World Conflicts Since 1900 A

TESC courses: Capstone A ~ Leaders in History A ~ Photography 101 A- ~ Games People Play A ~ International Relations A- ~ Mass Communications I A

$5 off IC - 59690
My hair jewelry business
I passed this test with a 67 a few months ago. If you have already taken a psychology-related class, this CLEP will be much easier to pass, as the two overlap quite a bit. My thoughts on this CLEP are the underneath the Introductory Psychology CLEP info here on this post: http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...post136710 Additionally, this is one of the tests that I collected a list of specific topics you should know - PM me if you would be interested in a copy. This was one of the easiest CLEPs I took, but I didn't enjoy it as well as Psychology.
CLEPs:
Biology: 64 | College Algebra: 60 | A&IL: 74 | Natural Sciences: 62 | College Comp: 62 | Intro Psychology: 73 | Intro Sociology: 67 | History of the U.S. I: 73 | History of the U.S. II: 65 | Principles of Marketing: 66 | Social Sciences & History: 68 | Humanities: 58

DSSTs:
Environment & Humanity: 59 | Technical Writing: 66 | Public Speaking: 67/Pass | Astronomy: 72

Other Courses:
Intro to Stats ALEKS: 70 | 24 FEMAs (including PDS) | Intro to News Reporting TECEP: Pass | Interpersonal Communication ECE: A | News Writing @ TESC: A | TESC Leadership Communication: A | TESC Mass Communication I: A | TESC Capstone: A | Marketing Communications TECEP: Pass | Argumentation & Debate @ LSU: A | Public Relations Thought & Practice TECEP: Pass

120/120 - DONE!!!
B.A. Communications through CollegePlus/TESC
My degree plan/test feedback
If I remember correctly, I studied for this test using only Instancert for a few hours over two days. I scored a 63, but I have a background in psychology. I think I also read over a study guide someone posted on the forum that gave definitions and brief descriptions of important people. Those kinds of study guides (and I've only found 2 so far) are the only use I've found for the Specific Exam Feedback forum.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I really don't remember what I used since I took this back in 2009, but whatever I did use I somehow managed to score a 71 though. If I had to guess, I think used IC flashcards and the comments/notes from the Specific Exam Feedback Forum. I don't recall using much else back then when I was rushing to finish my BA. I may have looked at the REA book (I did for some tests), but I'm not sure.

You might find this to be useful in preparing for the exam: Sociology 101: Intro to Sociology Course - Free Online Video Lessons | Education Portal

Check out the quizzes there too (atop the videos)!
BA in History, TESC, Graduated September 2010
MA in History, American Public University, currently pursuing
Virginia teaching license, currently pursuing

Check out Degree Forum Wiki for more information on putting together your own degree plan!

My BA History degree plan.
Hi All,

I would really use some advice.. I am in a desperate situation. I am not a great test taker as I get very nervous but here is my problem. I was suspended from my job until I can obtain 6 college credits. I need to pass two CLEP exams immediately. I attempted Business Management but failed by 2 points. I was such a wreck the day I took it because, well, when you know your job is on the line you tend not to think to clearly, especially when you have 4 kids to take care of. My question is can any one guide me to the fastest way to prepare for this or any other clep exam that may be thought of as an easiest exams to take. what is the fastest way you can think to prepare for the exam any help you can pass of to get me into a test center speedy would be extremely appreciated. I'm shooting for a passing grade, nothing else. If you can help in any way, I would be forever grateful.

Yes, I am desperate Mom who needs to get back to work. It has been a long time since I was in school. I just need to get these credits so I can start working and feeding my kids again.

Thank you

Denise
Hi mom2arianna!

I am a little hesitant to recommend certain tests, because everyone is different! Smile

Since we are on this thread, I'll give you my feedback for this test...

Introductory Sociology

I passed, today, with a 61! Praise the Lord!

I studied for 4 days taking practice tests, reading the Specific Exam Feedback, and looking up unfamiliar terms.

REA Practice Tests-51 (took this one cold) & 61 (scaled scores, not percentages)
Peterson's Practice Tests-63%, 63%, & 64% (respectively)
Official CLEP Study Guide-68%
Specific Exam Feedback
Lady Grace's Sociology terms (I personal messaged her and she gave me a list of topics/terms.)

My test did not have a lot of theorists, but I would still suggest learning all of the major theorists and theories. I had several questions that the feedback suggested to learn. (Very helpful!) This is not a difficult test...the material is easy to grasp. A lot of it is common sense!

Analyzing and Interpreting Literature is a good one, for most...(check specific exam feedback)... Plus, it's worth 6 credits!!! It might be a good place to start, since it is reading comprehension and not memorization of facts, dates, etc. Just my two-cents worth! (Analyzing and Interpreting Literature CLEP Study Guide - Free-Clep-Prep.com) Plus, there is a lot of study material out there! Smile
Many blessings!
TayTay

"Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever." {Heb. 13:8}

CLEP: English Comp with Essay-51, US Hist. I-60, College Math-65, College Algebra-56, Analyzing and Interpreting Lit-72, Principles of Market.-62, Principles of Man.-60, Human Growth & Develop.-57, Humanities-64, Social Sciences & Hist.-55, Western Civ. I-55, Intro. Psych.-68, Intro to Ed. Psych.-65, Intro. Sociology-61, Western Civ. II-53, US Hist. II-66

DSST: Civil War & Reconstruction-66, Intro to Computing-450, History of the Vietnam War-63, Intro to World Religions-473, Principles of Supervision-445, Intro to Business-429, Here's to Your Health-422, Fund. of Counseling-60, General Anthro.-60, Art of the Western World-74, Intro to Modern Middle East-61, Rise & Fall of the Soviet Union-64

Other: FEMA-12 Credits, TESC-Capstone (A), BYU-Italian Renaissance Ind. Study (A-), World Conflicts-ECE ©

TESC Graduate as of March 2014 - B.A. History - Arnold Fletcher Award
TayTay Wrote:Analyzing and Interpreting Literature is a good one, for most...(check specific exam feedback)... Plus, it's worth 6 credits!!! It might be a good place to start, since it is reading comprehension and not memorization of facts, dates, etc. Just my two-cents worth! (Analyzing and Interpreting Literature CLEP Study Guide - Free-Clep-Prep.com) Plus, there is a lot of study material out there! Smile

I have not taken any CLEPs yet so I can't give my own personal opinion but based on what others have posted I would recommend Analyzing and Interpreting Literature. And yes this one CLEP will give you the 6cr you need.

Good luck
TESC BSBA Computer Information Systems - ~TBD~ (currently working toward)
TESC AAS Applied Computer Studies - September 2013 (finished in June 2013)

GENERAL EDUCATION
SL English Comp I/II ~Intro to Sociology
ALEKS ~Intermedia Algebra~College Algebra
CLEP Spanish 12cr (72)

COMPUTER career track
B&M 9 credits (computer classes)
CompTIA N+ A+ 4cr (core)
TEEX Cyber security courses 4cr (core)
DSST Intro to Computers 3cr (435)
PENN FOSTER Computer Applications 3cr

BUSINESS
TEEX Cyber security course 2cr (MAN-299)

ELECTIVES
FEMA 18cr
(PDS certificate)
Tamtam, this is a good test to take first. When I studied for it, I used nothing but the REA book, InstantCert's cards, and Peterson's practice tests (which I can never, ever recommend enough--they and IC will be the best $20's you ever spend). I spaced the Peterson's practice tests out over my study time. Here's how my process went:

1. Read REA book and do IC flashcards (with google research)
2. Score 63 on practice test
3. Use flashcards some more and review REA book
4. Score 64 on the next practice test
5. Score 59 on the actual test.

Usually Peterson's are a lot harder than the actual test but that wasn't the case for me this time.

Hope this helps!
My website: http://www.collegebyclep.com/home

English, B.A. from Thomas Edison State College
Engaged in first semester of graduate studies in English at Liberty University

Analyzing and Interpreting Literature 73
Biology 65
Western Civilization I 67
College Algebra 70
Western Civilization II 71
History of the U.S. II 68
College Mathematics 77
College Composition 63
American Literature 61
American Government 57
Info. Systems & Computer App 66
Principles of Management 58
Introductory Sociology 59
Introductory Psychology 68
History of the US I 69
Social Sciences and History 72
Principles of Microeconomics 68
Principles of Macroeconomics 65
Humanities 72
Principles of Marketing 69
Natural Sciences 64
Introduction to World Religions 458
Principles of Supervision 433
Introduction to Business 434
English Literature 72

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AP, CLEP, IB, vs others - Comparison/Example bjcheung77 0 507 08-11-2023, 12:12 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Intro to Criminal Justice & Speech Communication midnite123 11 985 01-04-2023, 12:32 AM
Last Post: karenkresgs
  AP, CLEP, etc - Credit Banking on Credly bjcheung77 2 1,845 09-02-2022, 12:16 PM
Last Post: vintage_jacket
  combine CLEP & ACTFL? defmo 5 852 08-05-2022, 08:58 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  English 2 CLEP Jennr2z 6 1,314 05-25-2022, 10:02 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Intro to Sociology Jennr2z 8 1,074 05-11-2022, 11:14 PM
Last Post: Jennr2z
  Prep for College Composition with Essay CLEP ? abs_co 3 1,641 11-11-2021, 07:39 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
Big Grin CLEP US HISTORY II Advice basol007 2 1,274 03-14-2021, 02:14 PM
Last Post: basol007
  need to find credits by testing like Clep - but Clep is not available where I live - esh 3 1,236 01-31-2021, 07:49 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Study material Clep English composition modular Collegelady2 16 4,144 08-18-2020, 10:20 PM
Last Post: mrskitty