Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Has Anyone Tried Modern States?
I recently got an email from modernstates.org that said if you complete any of the free Modern States courses, they will pay for your CLEP exam and testing fee! I don't know how long that will last but if you take every single exam that's potentially I think 81 free credits. Obviously, not all of them would fit into a degree plan!
The courses are composed of video lectures from professors, free online textbooks, and practice problems.
Also, CLEP recommends them under their Study Resources section.
I've been enjoying them and definitely recommend you check them out!

Has anyone else been using them?
-Zapproximator

My journey to a bachelor's degree by 18 (with my flashcards, exam tips, and notes)---> bachelorsby18.wordpress.com

Super quick bio: Homeschooled teen who loves music, writing, hanging out with friends, and doing stuff outside - unless it's 80+ Wink

-------------------------
42/120 Credits
CLEP: Principles of Marketing 75, Principles of Management 66, A&I Literature 59, Intro Psychology 64, US History 1 68, US History 2 69, Sociology 61, Western Civ 1, Western Civ 2 55, Biology 51, Microecon 67, Macroecon 68, Educational Psychology 74, College Algebra (in progress), College Composition (in progress)
AP: Statistics, Spanish (both in progress)
[-] The following 1 user Likes zapproximator's post:
  • slmartin
I'm definitely pursuing this. I was going to wait to verify that I get a waiver before sharing but yeah, seems like a rad deal!
Has anyone actually got their AP/CLEP exams paid by them? Too bad none of those are UL (Upper Level)
I couldn't find it on their webpage, but do they also handle DSST? I doubt it , just asking... I won't signup!
Most if not all of the credits they have duplicate what I already have taken; it'll be great for those starting.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Nice find!!!!!!!!!!!!
Community College: College Success Skills | Gen. Psychology | Span 1 | Eng. 101 | Accounting 1 | Accounting 2 | Comp Skills

Study.com Scholarship: Per. Finance | Prin. of Marketing | Digi. Mark. & Advertising | HR Manage. | Prin. of Finance

The Institutes: Ethics

Sophia: Proj. Management

Straighterline:​ Survey of World History | Principles of Management | MacroEco. | MicroEco. | American Gov | US History 1 | US History 2 | Western Civ 1 | Western Civ 2 | Business Law | Intro to Religion | Cultural Anthropology | Intro to Environ. Science | Intro to Soc

ALEKS: Inter. Algebra | College Algebra | Intro to Stats

TEEX: Cyber 101 | Cyber 201 | Cyber 301

NFA: Fire Service Supervision: Self Study

Certified: Six Sigma Yellow Belt [8 PDU]
I would love to do some free CLEPs! I just wish I had a closer testing center. Because of the location of the center, I am better off paying $25/exam for Saylors in many cases, but I really need CLEP A&I Lit and could probably do a few others depending on the test center time/date flexibility Smile

I'm glad this helps! Smile It is pretty awesome. No, they don't have DSST right now
-Zapproximator

My journey to a bachelor's degree by 18 (with my flashcards, exam tips, and notes)---> bachelorsby18.wordpress.com

Super quick bio: Homeschooled teen who loves music, writing, hanging out with friends, and doing stuff outside - unless it's 80+ Wink

42/120 Credits
CLEP: Principles of Marketing 75, Principles of Management 66, A&I Literature 59, Intro Psychology 64, US History 1 68, US History 2 69, Sociology 61, Western Civ 1, Western Civ 2 55, Biology 51, Microecon 67, Macroecon 68, Educational Psychology 74, College Algebra (in progress), College Composition (in progress)
How do I get the deal? Were you sent a different link? Should I register soon and wait for an email?

I emailed them and they said once I told them I completed the course they would waive it.
You do need to create an account but that's free too!
https://modernstates.org/contact/
-Zapproximator

42/120 Credits
Below is the full text of the email that I received dated 4/13/17. ~Jenny

[INDENT]Dear Learner,

Did you ever wish you had a math teacher who could simplify complex problems and make them interesting? Meet Professor James Murphy of Johns Hopkins, who teaches two courses: College Mathematics and the newest Freshman Year for Free class — Precalculus.

Both courses are available now as part of Modern States “Freshman Year for Free” program. You will find the Math courses and others on ModernStates.org, giving you a way to prepare for exams leading to college credit.

For a limited time, Modern States will also cover the $80 cost of the CLEP (College Level Examination Program) exam fee. When you complete a course, simply email Whitney@ModernStates.org to request a payment voucher for the CLEP exam.

After you pass an exam, thousands of traditional colleges will give you course credit, enabling you to graduate sooner and at a lower cost.

Work hard, good luck, and remember, we are rooting for you!

David Vise
Executive Director[/INDENT]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Murdockb's post:
  • slmartin
Nice! I got that same email too
-Zapproximator

42/120 Credits

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I want Modern States to be in every student’s wheelhouse bjcheung77 0 365 09-28-2023, 11:36 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Modern States: At 60... & ICYMI... bjcheung77 2 370 08-28-2023, 11:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  50 States - Average cost of college 2023 bjcheung77 1 378 08-16-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  More than a third of community college students have vanished in the United States JPN 18 2,084 04-12-2023, 01:27 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Free College Is Now a Reality in Nearly 30 States LevelUP 13 1,545 04-14-2022, 09:16 AM
Last Post: uncapentin
  Modern States: Mention of TESU+WGU (DF member?) bjcheung77 2 936 10-28-2021, 05:28 PM
Last Post: GizmoJack
  States refuse to fund higher ed? List from top to bottom Life Long Learning 13 1,727 10-05-2020, 04:24 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Help - Modern States Question evsimoian 7 4,688 06-18-2020, 10:09 AM
Last Post: Giantzebra
  In-state tuition at NMJC through WUE (for residents of some Western states) wow 3 1,458 01-14-2020, 11:29 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Modern State web page down? jdfan14 2 1,196 09-03-2019, 05:42 PM
Last Post: jdfan14