Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has Anyone Ever Failed A Capstone Course?
Those of you who have taken a capstone course through TESC or Excelsior: have you ever gotten a low score or failed a capstone course? At TESC you need a minimum of 60% to gain the credit for the course. As of today, I am still at 35% (though she still has to grade the Discussion Forum and the ETS).

I ask this because I was doing just fine with the course up until this morning, when my mentor sent back my latest assignment with a zero grade. She said she couldn't grade it until it was revised. It's good that she is giving me another chance, but it felt like a punch in the gut when I read her notes. I realized I have been sloppy with the survey and the sub-questions I posed.

She mentioned a survey should have at least ten questions; mine had three. But I don't think she'll have me go back and have my respondents retake a revised survey. It might be too late in the course to do that. I'll probably just get dinged for it, even though I hate that it will be.

I think her main problem was it wasn't formatted correctly. And no wonder. I discovered my survey questions were being used as my sub-questions in the chapter. I went back to the original sub-questions in Chapter 1, and the wording was very different! For some reason I had changed it. ::headdesk:: Not to mention, I hadn't provided the graphs for the demographic data I provided.

So, I am spending my morning in big time revisions of the chapter. I am also revising the survey in case she wants me to have them retake it.

I will talk to her tonight to have her clarify what she wants from this this assignment.
A.A. General Studies- TESC, 2013
B.A. History, TESC, 2014 - Arnold Fletcher Award - 4.0 GPA
M.A. Government, Security Studies - Johns Hopkins University, Class of 2018.

Straighterline - 26 courses, including English Comp. I & II, Western Civilization I & II, U.S. History I & II, Intro. to Sociology, Intro to Philosophy, Cultural Anthropology, Environmental Science, Science of Nutrition, Business Law, Financial Accounting, etc.

ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra

CLEP: Humanities 56, Social Sciences and History 58

FEMA: 6 credits

DSST: Civil War and Reconstruction 71, Introduction to Vietnam War 69, Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union 64, Modern Middle East 71.

TESC courses: War and American Society (A), Liberal Arts Capstone (A).

120/120! I'm there!

"Another day has passed and I didn't use Algebra once."
" Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." Albert Einstein
The answer to this question also interests me.
BA in Social Science-TESC
Arnold Fletcher Award

[h=1]“Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.” ~Thomas Edison[/h]
What course are you doing? (corpsole 2)
starlinghunter Wrote:What course are you doing? (corpsole 2)

I am doing a capstone course with Dr. Haydel. It is a minimum 25 page paper with original research on a broad range of subjects.

Straighterline - 26 courses, including English Comp. I & II, Western Civilization I & II, U.S. History I & II, Intro. to Sociology, Intro to Philosophy, Cultural Anthropology, Environmental Science, Science of Nutrition, Business Law, Financial Accounting, etc.

DSST: Civil War and Reconstruction 71, Introduction to Vietnam War 69, Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union 64, Modern Middle East 71.

120/120! I'm there!

" Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." Albert Einstein
Whoa, really sorry for you! Sad Good thing she's giving you another chance. As far as failing, that could only happen if your total grades for the class don't add up to that 60%. That includes discussion posts, the Capstone chapters, the ETS, and the completed Capstone. It's kind of nerve-wracking to see the percentage so low, until the end of the class when you hopefully get a good score in the final project (because usually it's weighted more) and the percentage goes up. I'm sure once you correct it, she'll give you a better grade than 0. Best wishes!
BA History 2014 - TESC

The Lord is my shepherd. Psalm 23

"I'm going on an adventure!' ~AUJ
"It is our fight." ~DoS
"I am not alone." ~BotFA
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that's given to us." ~FotR
"There is still hope." ~TTT
"Courage..." "This day, we fight!" ~RotK

CLEP: A&I Lit 74 ~ Am Lit 73 ~ Eng Lit 72 ~ Humanities 75 ~ College Math 77 ~ Western Civ I 63 ~ Western Civ II 69 ~ Natural Sci 64 ~ US History I 76 ~ US History II 69 ~ Sociology 68 ~ Am Gov 69 ~ Social Sci & Hist 71 ~ College Comp 61 ~ Marketing 70 ~ Management 66 ~ Psychology 67

DSST: Supervision 453 ~ Tech Writing 61 ~ Computing 427 ~ Middle East 65 ~ Soviet Union 65 ~ Vietnam War 74 ~[COLOR="#0099cc"] Civil War 68

[/COLOR]Other: College+ Biblical Social Justice B ~ ECE World Conflicts Since 1900 A

TESC courses: Capstone A ~ Leaders in History A ~ Photography 101 A- ~ Games People Play A ~ International Relations A- ~ Mass Communications I A

$5 off IC - 59690
My hair jewelry business
Thanks, Westerner.

She said having so few survey questions makes the original research really thin. However, no where in the textbook or in the modules did it specify the number of questions for surveys. I'll ask her about that tonight.

She is usually very understanding, so I imagine she will not have me revise the survey for this module. But she might have them retake it before I submit the finalized paper.

120/120! I'm there!

I just have this idea in my mind that I want to crack the 60% threshold or be near it when I submit the final paper for the final 30% grade. I figure I can be around 65% by the time I am done with the paper and submit it. It all depends on the these last few assignments. :-)

120/120! I'm there!

corpsole2 Wrote:I just have this idea in my mind that I want to crack the 60% threshold or be near it when I submit the final paper for the final 30% grade. I figure I can be around 65% by the time I am done with the paper and submit it. It all depends on the these last few assignments. :-)
That definitely sounds doable!
BA History 2014 - TESC

The Lord is my shepherd. Psalm 23

"I'm going on an adventure!' ~AUJ
"It is our fight." ~DoS
"I am not alone." ~BotFA
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that's given to us." ~FotR
"There is still hope." ~TTT
"Courage..." "This day, we fight!" ~RotK

CLEP: A&I Lit 74 ~ Am Lit 73 ~ Eng Lit 72 ~ Humanities 75 ~ College Math 77 ~ Western Civ I 63 ~ Western Civ II 69 ~ Natural Sci 64 ~ US History I 76 ~ US History II 69 ~ Sociology 68 ~ Am Gov 69 ~ Social Sci & Hist 71 ~ College Comp 61 ~ Marketing 70 ~ Management 66 ~ Psychology 67

DSST: Supervision 453 ~ Tech Writing 61 ~ Computing 427 ~ Middle East 65 ~ Soviet Union 65 ~ Vietnam War 74 ~[COLOR="#0099cc"] Civil War 68

[/COLOR]Other: College+ Biblical Social Justice B ~ ECE World Conflicts Since 1900 A

TESC courses: Capstone A ~ Leaders in History A ~ Photography 101 A- ~ Games People Play A ~ International Relations A- ~ Mass Communications I A

$5 off IC - 59690
My hair jewelry business
I just got off the phone with Dr. Haydel. I can't say enough how great of a mentor she is for this course. For those who haven't done the course: do your best to get her as your mentor.

She told me that the zero grade is merely to get students' attention that something is wrong. It turned out my survey questions were my sub-questions, and so she felt she had nothing to base the grade on. She laughed when I told her of the mishap that I forgot to put the sub-questions in there. So it is squared away.

She also said to keep my survey the way it is. She said surveys should have a maximum (not a minimum) of ten questions, otherwise all the graphs and narratives would be messy and unwieldy. I'm glad I don't have to revise the survey and have everyone re-take it.

She mainly wants to see it formatted correctly, with the requisite graphs and data in correct order. This is not the chapter to interpret the results.

I'm feeling about 80% better than this morning. I just have a few minor revisions and I'll re-submit it. I'll let you know what the grade is.

120/120! I'm there!

I just got back the grade on the revised chapter four. Dr. Haydel gave me 90%. Standing between me and 100, I guess, is that I didn't need to italicize as much as I did, and for some reason my carefully formatted graphs keep moving from their titles, thus creating dead space. She noted that, as well. Other than that, she definitely praised that paper.

I am so much better than yesterday. When she grades the Discussion Forum and the ETS, I should be around 50% - within striking distance of the 60 I was shooting for going into Module Six.

120/120! I'm there!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,102 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  Capstone Anxiety Iamtehking 9 4,299 09-18-2018, 06:22 AM
Last Post: rlw74
  BUS-421 - Capstone - Final Project Submitted! Gloddy 16 4,734 08-05-2018, 12:14 PM
Last Post: Gloddy
  TESU LIB-495 Capstone Ideas JanuarySunshine 1 1,669 07-21-2018, 11:42 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Enrolled in the Business Capstone course for the July Term. Anybody else? camjenks 25 4,974 07-16-2018, 02:18 PM
Last Post: keokat
  Capstone TESU d.cononge 16 4,803 06-27-2018, 06:44 PM
Last Post: JayUsher
  Two More UL Courses and Capstone MrBossmanJr 17 3,536 06-27-2018, 08:13 AM
Last Post: MrBossmanJr
  URGENT HELP NEEDED! Survey on Online Digital Learning due by 23 June for Capstone! Nightmoves5 6 1,794 06-21-2018, 06:49 PM
Last Post: fork
  TESU Liberal Arts Capstone omuneek 8 2,622 06-20-2018, 10:41 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Failed Advertising TECEP nerd 12 3,245 06-18-2018, 04:01 PM
Last Post: nerd