Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HS Diplomas
So I need a little help for my other brother. I am enrolling him at a community college but we are having problems getting transcripts. He got a diploma which I believe didnt have any other wording to suggest difference from standard. Went to the district to gather transcripts and they are missing his whole 12th grade year. He was in special education, but completed the majority of reg course work and standardized testing to get a regular diploma. They are saying if they cant find his records then basically he is out of luck. They have an IEP for that year which they wouldn't have completed if he wasn't there but no classes whatsoever. Then they have him withdrawn that september of 2008, but paperwork says they issued a special diploma which they have no proof for and he received a regular diploma which we cant find.

Q: What are other options for him outside of GED that allows him to receive financial aid? He wants to go to class because he learns better that way and it adds up.

Q2: Is their an accredited adult high school online?

Thanks
There are accredited high schools online. (Penn Foster, Ashworth, etc...) But if he graduated than this is unacceptable. The school cannot make a mistake like this and just say you are out of luck. Does he have pictures of his graduation ceremony? Senior pictures or a yearbook? Could you contact any of his former teachers or classmates? If you could at least prove he did graduate then it would seem like the school would have to do something. If you can't get this resolved it might be best to get some legal representation or advice.
Credit Sources:
Guilford Technical Community College (59)
U.S Army Training
ALEKS
Study.com
Straighterline
Shmoop
DSST
UExcel
Your brother needs to contact the special education director of the school district he attended to ask for help in locating the records.
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
KayV Wrote:Your brother needs to contact the special education director of the school district he attended to ask for help in locating the records.

She is checking the micro- to see if there are records. She was also the one that said they could only validate what they have. My mom's house burned down 9 days ago and I am hoping she left his diploma in my garage, but even if I show that they could say its still invalid. He did not walk but here they will let kids walk before they meet all requirements anyways. The lady over the program retired but I am trying to contact her through Facebook though. I know this must be a violation of several students with disabilities laws, but I am just trying to gather all the info before it disappears. It also seemed fishy that even with a special education diploma he couldn't get financial aid, but I think they make exemptions so the only problem would then be what the school would admit him into. The lady in the admissions office wouldn't even take what we have or verify it.
Which state are you in?

And I'm sorry about your mom's house. How awful.
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
smartiepants86 Wrote:So I need a little help for my other brother. I am enrolling him at a community college but we are having problems getting transcripts. He got a diploma which I believe didnt have any other wording to suggest difference from standard. Went to the district to gather transcripts and they are missing his whole 12th grade year. He was in special education, but completed the majority of reg course work and standardized testing to get a regular diploma. They are saying if they cant find his records then basically he is out of luck. They have an IEP for that year which they wouldn't have completed if he wasn't there but no classes whatsoever. Then they have him withdrawn that september of 2008, but paperwork says they issued a special diploma which they have no proof for and he received a regular diploma which we cant find.

Q: What are other options for him outside of GED that allows him to receive financial aid? He wants to go to class because he learns better that way and it adds up.

Q2: Is their an accredited adult high school online?

Thanks

this is a problem for your brother's school district to solve. Take the paperwork you do have, and make sure he comes with you - go to the office tomorrow at the high school and get this straightened out. You're seriously considering having him take a GED or go back to high school because of a misplaced paper? Hell no.
KayV Wrote:Which state are you in?

And I'm sorry about your mom's house. How awful.

Yeah, 2017 has started out pretty wild! We live in Florida though! I know hold the jokes and just add it to the list of only things that can happen in Florida.
cookderosa Wrote:this is a problem for your brother's school district to solve. Take the paperwork you do have, and make sure he comes with you - go to the office tomorrow at the high school and get this straightened out. You're seriously considering having him take a GED or go back to high school because of a misplaced paper? Hell no.

No I know the GED route is pretty uphill. I was just going to see if he can salvage most of the credits he already has and just get a diploma the online route. The ESE admin lady says it will take her a couple days to research it, but that it pretty much is what it is. I was just going to give her a chance to do that while weighing options and doing my own research.
smartiepants86 Wrote:No I know the GED route is pretty uphill. I was just going to see if he can salvage most of the credits he already has and just get a diploma the online route. The ESE admin lady says it will take her a couple days to research it, but that it pretty much is what it is. I was just going to give her a chance to do that while weighing options and doing my own research.

I'm confused. You said he already has a high school diploma - what is there to salvage? So did he graduate or not? If not, there are ways to get a diploma. If he did, then he already did..... so I'm missing the point of exploring any options besides getting the document.

If you earn your bachelor's degree, you'd earn it again if you lost your framed certificate? No, like a high school diploma, a framed certificate is a keepsake - it's not "the thing" rather the the actual award is issued and verified by the school you completed it with - whether it's a diploma or a degree, the framed certificate is nothing more than decoration. I'm still not sure I understand the problem, which makes me unable to help, sorry.
As I understand it, the problem is that the school district lost his transcript, so they are saying that they no longer have an official means of verifying that he attended.
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Inexpensive Certificates, Diplomas, Degrees bjcheung77 1 465 02-20-2024, 01:13 AM
Last Post: mancheseter24
  Where do you keep your diplomas/certs? collegechick 17 1,878 06-22-2021, 04:18 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  British Music Diplomas KayV 2 1,536 12-22-2020, 10:20 PM
Last Post: Seagull
  Non credit diplomas to supplement an MBA HM Popestt 2 973 03-03-2020, 12:36 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Certificates and Diplomas High_Order1 16 3,787 08-15-2016, 10:04 PM
Last Post: KayV
  I heard a rumor: Regis diplomas are from Notre Dame? auminer49r 8 1,869 06-06-2007, 02:02 PM
Last Post: Matymus