Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Graduate School and Last 60 Hours GPA
I'm hoping to get into graduate school based on my gpa from the last 60 hours, but many of the last 60 hours will be from ALEKS and CLEPs. Does anyone know how most schools will calculate the last 60 hours? Will they skip over the pass/fail credits and calculate from classes I took further back?
I think you need to ask the grad school you are applying to. I went to EC so some of the testing credits went on my transcript with a grade, others as pass fail. Some grad schools I considered looked at my overall GPA, some took the last 60 credits and some only used the GPA for my last degree earned. Some schools won't accept pass fail credit and will make you repeat the courseworks, others may assign a "C" and corresponding 2.0 to your GPA. Your best bet is to talk to the schools who you will be applying with so you can make the best choices for your future needs. Good luck!
Completed 2/09 - 5/13

RHIA Post-Bac Cert - Stephens - 5/13
MHA - Bellevue Univ - 3/12
BSHS - Excelsior 12/10
BSLS - Excelsior 3/10
ASLS - Excelsior 4/09

ECE - A&P - B
ECE - Found. of Gerontology - B
ECE - Ethics: Theory & Practice - B
ECE - Psych. of Adulthood & Aging - A
ECE - Social Psych. - B
ECE - Abnormal Psych. - B
ECE - HR Management - B
ECE - Research Methods of Psych. - B
ECE - Pathophysiology - A

CLEP - American Govt - 58
CLEP - Intro. to Sociology - 63
CLEP - A & I Lit - 70
DSST - Fund. of Counseling - A (65)
DSST - Org. Behavior - A (67)
DSST - Environment & Humanity - A (62)
DSST - Found. of Education - A (64)
DSST - Here's to Your Health - 461 (Pass)
DSST - Substance Abuse - 460 (Pass)
DSST - Principles of Supervision - A (61)
DSST - Lifespan Developmental Psych - A (59)
DSST - Criminal Justice - 443 (Pass)
DSST - MIS - 415 (Pass)
UExcel - Intro. to Psych (Beta)- Pass
ALEKS - College Alg, Stats
Straighterline - Medical Term, Pharmacology I & II
FEMA - PDS + more
Definitely contact the grad school you are interested in. marianne202 is absolutely right.

My grad school had listed on their web site that they looked at the last 60 hours of attempted credits. Sounded clear enough. No, it turns out it wasnt.

My initial plan was to complete my degree through one of the big 3 and then get a second bach in my field (only an additional 30 credits) and then apply to grad school. (With the two combined degrees, I would have had over 60 graded credit hours.)

HOWEVER, when I contacted my desired grad school, they clarified that they would ONLY consider graded credit hours for my FIRST bachelors and not anything post bach. All 60 needed to be in my first degree.

Almost all my graded credit hours are from a community college and even though my GPA is a 4.0, they are lower level. I only have 32 hours and intended to clep the rest. I would not have had 60 hours of graded credits within my first bachelors degree, so they told me they would award me only a 2.5 GPA and wouldnt even consider a second bachelors when computing GPA. My field is very competitive and it takes above a 3.5 to get into the grad program.

So, I changed my game plan. I am still testing out of a number of classes, but will go for just one bach in my field and get the 60 hours that I need. It adds an additional 8 months to my plan, but it is the best route for me.

PLEASE, contact the grad schools you are interested in and double check ALL the admission requirements and get it in writing.
Thank you.

I called one school and the secretary of the department said they will calculate from the last 60 graded credits I have. I forgot to ask her if they count credits that weren't applied to the degree because I've changed degree programs a couple of times. I know each school has a different policy, so I'll just submit my applications to all of the ones I'm looking at and see what happens. I have enough graded credits, I just want to get an idea of which courses will count toward my GPA. I won't have a GPA on my Thomas Edison transcript.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ASU 100 Million Learners - All graduate courses now available jg_nuy 35 3,657 1 hour ago
Last Post: ss20ts
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 9 556 04-03-2024, 12:21 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 12 1,715 03-22-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 243 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
Question Graduate-Level Courses NotJoeBiden 7 673 01-24-2024, 06:51 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 666 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ‘We did it together’: New York mother and daughter graduate college on same day LevelUP 0 198 12-22-2023, 10:57 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Why degree mills center so hard in post-graduate degrees? elcastor21 7 950 12-08-2023, 06:56 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Canada's Newest Medical School - Opening 2026 at SFU bjcheung77 1 338 11-01-2023, 05:41 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Brown Medical School withdraws from U.S. News rankings allvia 2 457 10-30-2023, 09:51 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77