Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good 1st SL class for a 9th grader to attempt in a month?
Hello,
I think I'd like to give SL a try next month for my 9th grader, what would be a good course to start with that would be reasonable to complete in a month?  Algebra is not his strong suit, and he's already taken and passed CLEPs in US History I and Analyzing & Interpreting Lit.
Thanks!
Some people here have suggested Cultural Anthropology or Intro to World Religions.
[-] The following 1 user Likes homeschoolmom1's post:
  • magflo
(12-28-2017, 07:34 PM)homeschoolmom1 Wrote: Some people here have suggested Cultural Anthropology or Intro to World Religions.

I have a word of caution for these two courses for a 9th grader. Mom might want to preview the textbooks first to make sure there are no objections to the content for the teen’s maturity. These are college level courses with content that that some teens may or may not be ready for. I recommend looking at chapters 7 & 8 (very closely!) in the Cultural Anthropology textbook. Parents should also be aware that the religion course has an agnostic worldview if that is of any concern for the family.

Check out the Homeschooling for College credit blog about SL courses for Jennifer’s recommendations on courses to start with.

https://homeschoolingforcollegecredit.co...t-to-take/
[-] The following 1 user Likes DIGI-212's post:
  • magflo
These are solid options for first courses with StraighterLine: Introduction to Communication, Medical Terminology & my third would be on a subject he's strong at + enjoys. My son might not have enjoyed spending times on the two mentioned but walked through his favorite topic of Biology & Chemistry.
PhD, Leadership, University of the Cumberlands - What Have I Done!!?!!
MBA, Healthcare Management, Western Governors University - in progress
MS, Management and Leadership, Western Governors University - 2017
BS, Business Administration, Thomas Edison State University - 2016

RANSOMSOUL: Exchange Good For Great

The Ultimate Route to Earning a Bachelor's Degree in Business: A StraighterLine Success Story
[-] The following 1 user Likes RANSOMSOUL's post:
  • magflo
Intro. to Criminal Justice was pretty easy and then he could take the FEMA classes and get an emergency management certificate.

Haha!

Not enough characters to post...and...done.
[-] The following 1 user Likes eriehiker's post:
  • magflo
(12-28-2017, 09:11 PM)eriehiker Wrote: Intro. to Criminal Justice was pretty easy and then he could take the FEMA classes and get an emergency management certificate.

Haha!

Not enough characters to post...and...done.

Oooh, that's an interesting suggestion! Dad is in law enforcement so this *might* be a course of interest to him. Tell me more about FEMA classes leading to emergency management certificate, please.
https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/showthr...ertificate

http://www.trcc.commnet.edu/Div_Workforc...te_NEW.pdf

Basically, FEMA has a host of free EM classes online. Three go into the certificate along with the Intro. CJ class. Apparently, there is one more class in there as well. This would be a nice little project.

The straighterline class has a lot of law enforcement history in it. That's why it struck me as a class your son might like.

Wait. There are some other requirements in there. This might be too complicated. The CJ class is good, though.
[-] The following 1 user Likes eriehiker's post:
  • magflo
FEMA has some great courses, especially for someone with interest in the topics. Keep in mind if there is interest for your son to earn college credits, FEMA has very limited value outside of a couple schools (e.g Charter Oak State College & Clackamas Community College )
PhD, Leadership, University of the Cumberlands - What Have I Done!!?!!
MBA, Healthcare Management, Western Governors University - in progress
MS, Management and Leadership, Western Governors University - 2017
BS, Business Administration, Thomas Edison State University - 2016

RANSOMSOUL: Exchange Good For Great

The Ultimate Route to Earning a Bachelor's Degree in Business: A StraighterLine Success Story
[-] The following 2 users Like RANSOMSOUL's post:
  • eriehiker, magflo
Not sure if this is relevant to Clackamas taking FEMA credits, but:

EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT

WAFE DEPARTMENT | AAS - ASSOCIATE OF APPLIED SCIENCE DEGREE | 2 YEARS

<snip>

WE WILL NO LONGER BE ACCEPTING NEW STUDENTS INTO THE EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT PROGRAM AFTER DECEMBER 31ST 2017
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

So we have three days.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sophia.org English Composition II -- Grader Experiences ashkir 67 10,634 02-09-2024, 08:55 PM
Last Post: Darknigh7
  Taking 23 classes at Sophia in one month, is that possible? elcastor21 13 2,135 08-31-2023, 10:48 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
Heart Is it possible to finish English composition II in one month on study.com? imkingta 16 1,883 07-22-2023, 11:11 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  Any good self-paced option for math such as Calculus II? zcao15 3 1,012 06-11-2023, 02:58 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Study.com Class Expiring smarterby1degree 0 540 02-27-2023, 12:21 PM
Last Post: smarterby1degree
  Online Self-Paced Certified Personal Trainer course ($19.99/month) worth 3 ACE credit MNomadic 1 946 01-07-2023, 02:01 PM
Last Post: Kab
  Sophia class order faptaincrunch 5 898 01-06-2023, 03:19 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  latest Study.com code for January, 2023 for 1 month free EducationSeeker 3 1,542 01-02-2023, 02:21 PM
Last Post: TwinMom
  SDC Presentation Skills Class NOT transferring to TESU?? ACI 4 712 12-22-2022, 02:15 PM
Last Post: ACI
  What happens if you drop a class in Sophia? Insert Name 18 8,995 12-13-2022, 08:50 AM
Last Post: Fewind