Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I need help!
I feel super overwhelmed. I need a mentor. Is there a thread for that? Yikes. I have been using Sanantone's TESU General Education guide to try and map out what I need to do. I have been using both the Marketing and Computer Information Systems emphasis guides as well. I really want to do Computer Information Systems, but at this point I just want to do whatever gets me done the fastest. I wanted to set up a spreadsheet but when I tried the provided link, it didn't do anything. I have put all schooling on hold until I can figure out a clear path.

Any advice or assistance would be so much appreciated. 

This is what I have so far. 

Study.com

Personal Finance
Intro to Computing
Intro to Sociology
Educational Psychology
US History II
Intro to World Religions
Interpersonal Communication
Principles of Management
Principles of Microeconomics
Business Ethics
College Algebra
Beginning Spanish
A History of the Vietnam War

Utah Valley University - Taken a decade ago and I am not sure if anything from this list works. 

Into to Writing
Intermediate Algebra
Psychology
Intro to Biology
Photo Lighting
Photography I
Photography II
2D Design
Graphic Computer Applications
Personal Health and Wellness
Intro to Art
I would knock out English Composition I and II next. Those seem like the requirements for everything, but I don't want to misguide you. It is just something I have noticed.
Georgia Institute of Technology: MS in Analytics (3/32 Credits)
Boston University: MS in Software Development
Thomas Edison State University: BA in Liberal Studies
Here's a spreadsheet for the BSBA in CIS, it's only a bit more to do it than General Management or one of the other BSBA concentrations (maybe $300?).  Since you haven't done anything in the AOS, it doesn't make a difference, you haven't lost anything, so I would go ahead and do the concentration you actually want.

Unfortunately, Study.com's College Algebra comes in as Intermediate Algebra, so you should take Precalc next to get the College Algebra requirement done.  Some of your other courses from UVU are duplicates or there isn't space for them - but they were all fine.

You can PM me for mentoring, I do it on the side for actually money (more time consuming), but if you want free advice, you can get it here.

Attached Files
.xlsx   justmelly TESU BSBA CIS.xlsx (Size: 54.58 KB / Downloads: 19)
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • onesaint
(05-09-2018, 12:13 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Here's a spreadsheet for the BSBA in CIS, it's only a bit more to do it than General Management or one of the other BSBA concentrations (maybe $300?).  Since you haven't done anything in the AOS, it doesn't make a difference, you haven't lost anything, so I would go ahead and do the concentration you actually want.

Unfortunately, Study.com's College Algebra comes in as Intermediate Algebra, so you should take Precalc next to get the College Algebra requirement done.  Some of your other courses from UVU are duplicates or there isn't space for them - but they were all fine.

You can PM me for mentoring, I do it on the side for actually money (more time consuming), but if you want free advice, you can get it here.

Thank you! That spreadsheet is super helpful. I haven't actually applied to TESU. I don't understand the pros/cons of doing it right away or waiting. It seems like with TESU it didn't matter? On the spreadsheet it said that through study.com you can waive the residency waiver fee until 6/30/18? Is that a fee that you pay when you apply and are accepted? or when you graduate? If these questions are generally ones you would answer through mentoring, just let me know! I am not trying to take advantage of your knowledge, well, I kind of am, but not if it is what you usually get paid for! Thanks again for the help.
With TESU, there is no downside to applying now, and only upside (you lock in your catalog). With COSC/EC, there is a downside to enrolling early, as you pay per-term fees, so the longer you're enrolled, the more you pay. TESU doesn't have any per-term fees.

As for the Residency Waiver, it is not waived, it's just discounted through 6/30. It's currently $2500, but if you apply as a Study.com affiliate member, then it's $1800 - but only if you actually pay it before 6/30. And, it will only go up over time. BUT, if you pay it to get the discount, and then don't graduate within a year, then you actually have to pay the RW again; in other words, unless you are fairly close to graduation, this isn't really going to apply to you, and I wouldn't worry about it much.

What is waived though, is the Cornerstone course ($300). So, definitely apply with the Study.com affiliate membership to get that done.

The last thing the Study.com membership does is gets you a reduced tuition rate. Again, unless you want to sign up for your capstone before 6/30, this isn't going to apply to you (and I wouldn't take the capstone without taking a bunch more business courses, as they will definitely help you with the course).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
It goes a little smoother if you sign up with Study.com, THEN apply to TESU as getting the affiliate status is then just a matter of checking the right box in the application. If you apply to TESU first, you then have to ask advising to add the affiliate status, and some people have been asked to send in transcripts before they would do it.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(05-09-2018, 01:39 PM)dfrecore Wrote: With TESU, there is no downside to applying now, and only upside (you lock in your catalog).  With COSC/EC, there is a downside to enrolling early, as you pay per-term fees, so the longer you're enrolled, the more you pay.  TESU doesn't have any per-term fees.

As for the Residency Waiver, it is not waived, it's just discounted through 6/30.  It's currently $2500, but if you apply as a Study.com affiliate member, then it's $1800 -  but only if you actually pay it before 6/30.  And, it will only go up over time.  BUT, if you pay it to get the discount, and then don't graduate within a year, then you actually have to pay the RW again; in other words, unless you are fairly close to graduation, this isn't really going to apply to you, and I wouldn't worry about it much.

What is waived though, is the Cornerstone course ($300).  So, definitely apply with the Study.com affiliate membership to get that done.

The last thing the Study.com membership does is gets you a reduced tuition rate. Again, unless you want to sign up for your capstone before 6/30, this isn't going to apply to you (and I wouldn't take the capstone without taking a bunch more business courses, as they will definitely help you with the course).

Hi again,

Can you please tell me what the abbreviation SL means?

Thanks!
SL = Straighterline
(05-29-2018, 04:45 PM)justmelly Wrote:
(05-09-2018, 01:39 PM)dfrecore Wrote: With TESU, there is no downside to applying now, and only upside (you lock in your catalog).  With COSC/EC, there is a downside to enrolling early, as you pay per-term fees, so the longer you're enrolled, the more you pay.  TESU doesn't have any per-term fees.

As for the Residency Waiver, it is not waived, it's just discounted through 6/30.  It's currently $2500, but if you apply as a Study.com affiliate member, then it's $1800 -  but only if you actually pay it before 6/30.  And, it will only go up over time.  BUT, if you pay it to get the discount, and then don't graduate within a year, then you actually have to pay the RW again; in other words, unless you are fairly close to graduation, this isn't really going to apply to you, and I wouldn't worry about it much.

What is waived though, is the Cornerstone course ($300).  So, definitely apply with the Study.com affiliate membership to get that done.

Hi again,

Can you please tell me what the abbreviation SL means?

Thanks!

Nevermind! I figured it out. Smile
Can you tell me which precalculus I need on study.com? They have two: precalculus algebra and precalculus.

(05-29-2018, 04:53 PM)Sapientes Wrote: SL = Straighterline

thanks!