Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gen Z in the workforce - 3 things..
(03-28-2023, 04:22 AM)Kire Wrote: People with an hourly employee mentality have gotten me to where I am today. I started off in healthcare nine years ago as a security guard. Today I am Director of Facilities and have tripled my annual pay. The secret for me is to stay productive, become knowledgeable and have a good work ethic. People with an 8 and the gate (do as little as I can for 8 hours) mentality make it easy for others to shine. It might appear like wasted effort to go above and beyond but someone is watching and looking for people to promote. Someone is always looking for talented people. Alas, there are few who want to put the effort into moving up.

In an earlier post on this thread, you will see that I don't have an "hourly employee mentality" as much as I won't be taken advantage of.  I won't let a company pile on extra work and then decide months down the road that they're going to hire someone for the position (finally) and there goes my opportunity for advancement.  I've seen that happen WAY too much in my life.  It used to be that you were recognized and appreciated much more than is now prevalent at companies.  I'm sure there are exceptions, but from what I've seen, companies are happy to take as much advantage as you will let them.

I'm also restarting my career after 20 years out, and don't feel the need to advance as much as others might.  I'm just at a different point in my life.  If this company wants to recognize and promote based on what they see, great - but if they don't, I can go somewhere that will.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Finding Pictures of Odd Things Thread Vle045 17 1,342 04-19-2022, 09:09 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Training Honey Bees and Rats for amazing things... bjcheung77 0 521 01-11-2022, 01:56 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Question for Techies: Best Things to Learn amilitab4k9 12 2,677 12-11-2019, 12:10 AM
Last Post: amilitab4k9
  Scott Young is saying exciting things! cookderosa 0 671 07-17-2013, 12:37 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  things kids said/did STG 7 1,867 08-19-2011, 11:31 PM
Last Post: CLEP101
  Bill Gates' 11 things no one will teach you in school cframe 13 3,215 02-17-2010, 11:17 PM
Last Post: PonyGirl93