Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gen Ed Requirements
What are the current Gen Ed requirements and best transfer options from Sophia and sdc?  I’ve read that the regular Gen Ed requirements and your pace are different.
There are degree plans here: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Category:UMPI We update them when we have new information.

There is a new development (as in just this week) that hasn't been added to the plans, yet, because it hasn't been 100% confirmed to work. But it should work. Instead of taking Biology 101L from Study.com and Environmental Science from Sophia, students are suggested to take Intro to Chemistry, Intro to Chemistry Lab, and Human Biology all from Sophia. This is a significant savings over doing the SDC course because Sophia's Chem Lab includes Labster fees. Labster fees at SDC are an additional (I believe) $70 or so on top of the monthly subscription fee.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • origamishuttle, Pikachu
[attachment=4328 Wrote:rachel83az pid='383590' dateline='1671099624']There are degree plans here: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Category:UMPI We update them when we have new information.

There is a new development (as in just this week) that hasn't been added to the plans, yet, because it hasn't been 100% confirmed to work. But it should work. Instead of taking Biology 101L from Study.com and Environmental Science from Sophia, students are suggested to take Intro to Chemistry, Intro to Chemistry Lab, and Human Biology all from Sophia. This is a significant savings over doing the SDC course because Sophia's Chem Lab includes Labster fees. Labster fees at SDC are an additional (I believe) $70 or so on top of the monthly subscription fee.

rachel83az, thanks so much for the link.  I put this together today with my existing credits from previous on campus college and where I think they will transfer to UMPI.  Is it possible to have UMPI examine my college credits before I sign up to know what I need to take previously?

.png   gened.png (Size: 33.29 KB / Downloads: 11)

.png   completed.png (Size: 9.59 KB / Downloads: 10)
UMPI doesn't evaluate transfer credit unless you've applied.
They won't evaluate credit until you've applied, but you can use the transfer database to check to see if anyone has transferred in the same classes previously. Links to DB & instructions at the bottom of this page: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Un...esque_Isle

Without looking in the DB, your classes will probably go where you think. I'm not sure about "History of the Universe" or "The Creative Process", though. "The Creative Process" probably has a good chance of working for requirement 2D, but that one's a tricky slot to fill. Other students have had classes that looked like they worked but that turned out to be electives in UMPI's eyes. It should, at least, a pretty quick and easy class to complete if it turns out that The Creative Process comes in as an elective.

For "History of the Universe", if nobody has transferred it in yet, then you may or may not need to provide a syllabus for the class. They may think it's more of an informational (history) class and not a "real" science class.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
(12-15-2022, 05:20 AM)rachel83az Wrote: There are degree plans here: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Category:UMPI We update them when we have new information.

The only issue is that that 1cr lab course counts towards your 2-course-at-a-time limit, so if it takes a while to get all those labs graded, you may end up not being able to finish in a month; at SDC, your 4cr science w/lab course only counts towards 1 of the courses allowed that month; and then you can take up to 4 months to complete your lab, even if you're no longer enrolled in a course; so it may end up costing a similar amount of money to do 1 month of SDC + lab fees vs multiple months of Sophia.

Your best bet, if you can wait, is to see if anyone reports back with how long that lab course is taking at Sophia.

This is also an ongoing issue with English Comp II at Sophia - minimum 2 months for grading.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Pikachu
You can request another class be opened at Sophia if grading is taking too long and you have no more open slots. Prior students gave reported having as many as four or five active courses with pending grades on two or three.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • ss20ts
(12-16-2022, 06:51 PM)rachel83az Wrote: You can request another class be opened at Sophia if grading is taking too long and you have no more open slots. Prior students gave reported having as many as four or five active courses with pending grades on two or three.

You still may end up needing more than a month to complete the course, and you need to keep your enrollment going while you're waiting.  All I'm saying is, this may not be the cheapest option available when all is said and done.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Inquiry Regarding Equivalent Classes for Remaining UMPI Requirements hicham78h 5 376 04-24-2024, 12:53 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Residency Requirements FM1 13 768 04-21-2024, 08:11 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Which Sophia Classes Meet These Requirements? gc82 2 376 03-15-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Admission Requirements for Ancient Homeschooled Students Spalmer 2 439 01-03-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Confused on UMPI's Residency Requirements DolceDolce 1 572 11-03-2023, 09:22 PM
Last Post: DolceDolce
  Math , bio and bio with lab requirements Sara143 12 1,099 10-11-2023, 12:02 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Simplified GEC requirements rachel83az 6 746 09-17-2023, 09:01 PM
Last Post: CCCollege
  Dual/Double Degree Requirements whimsyUnleashed 21 2,178 07-25-2023, 08:15 AM
  Is the course title listed on a UMPI transcript? (CPA requirements) moneyintheboring 5 945 03-06-2023, 09:44 PM
Last Post: moneyintheboring
  UMPI Yourpace computer requirements? pluggingalong 14 1,662 10-05-2022, 12:55 PM