Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Foreigner: any way to get a degree online - no CLEP DSST
Being a foreigner, CLEP and in-person proctored examinations are not easy to manage. Is there a path to a degree with InstantCert Ace, Study.com, and Sophia?
Yep! You can absolutely get a degree without using CLEP or DSST. A degree through TESU will be the easiest for you. Start with Sophia; that'll fill out most of your GE requirements and at least some electives. The remaining GE requirement (civic engagement) can be fulfilled either through InstantCert with American government or SDC with another course; can't remember which one.

InstantCert, Sophia, Study.com, StraighterLine, Coopersmith, and Davar all do online proctoring so you don't need to go anywhere.

What type of degree are you interested in? Not every degree can be fully tested out of but multiple TESU degrees are possible.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • jch
(10-05-2020, 10:04 AM)rachel83az Wrote: What type of degree are you interested in? Not every degree can be fully tested out of but multiple TESU degrees are possible.

A Liberal Arts degree should be fine. Whatever gets me to the destination in the most expedient manner. My problem is that I have hit the wall of opportunity because I don't have a degree (including getting work visas to other countries). So its more a problem of not having a degree, rather than what the degree is labeled.
In that case, doing everything but College Readiness and the Foundations courses at TESU will get you a good portion of the way towards a BALS degree. But, with the addition of their business classes, you can also get a BSBA with (relative) ease. 

Not counting the Civic Engagement portion, to complete a BSBA - General Management, you'd need:
  • Managerial Accounting
  • Principles of Management
  • Introduction to Marketing
  • International Management OR Business in Society
  • Managerial Communications
  • 4 UL business courses
  • 1 LL business course
To complete a BSBA - CIS, you'd need:
  • Managerial Accounting
  • Principles of Management
  • Introduction to Marketing
  • International Management OR Business in Society
  • Managerial Communications
  • Programming
  • Systems Analysis & Design
  • 3 CIS courses, UL
  • 1 CIS course, LL
To complete a BALS with no concentration:
  • 1 GE elective
  • 5 UL Liberal Studies classes 
  • 1 LL Liberal studies class
  • 5 electives (UL or LL)
So they're all roughly the same. The difference is what you think you'd be interested in/good at.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • Pikachu
(10-05-2020, 10:19 AM)tomokaicho Wrote:
(10-05-2020, 10:04 AM)rachel83az Wrote: What type of degree are you interested in? Not every degree can be fully tested out of but multiple TESU degrees are possible.

A Liberal Arts degree should be fine. Whatever gets me to the destination in the most expedient manner. My problem is that I have hit the wall of opportunity because I don't have a degree (including getting work visas to other countries). So its more a problem of not having a degree, rather than what the degree is labeled.

When you just need to "check the box", I can understand your willingness to be accommodating. But there are enough options out there that if you are actually interested in a particular field you may be able to focus on it.
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
18 doctoral level semester-hours in Business Administration, Baker College
In progress: EdD in Educational Leadership, Manhattanville College

More at https://stevefoerster.com
[-] The following 2 users Like SteveFoerster's post:
  • rachel83az, StoicJ

Based on my research (I'm in a similar situation), the only good options available to non-resident foreigners are Oregon State's eCampus (this is a good option if you already have a Bachelor's but want a second one in a completely different area - Oregon State has a couple post-bac options) and UMPI. UMPI + Sophia seems to be the cheapest and fastest option available to get a Bachelor's degree for people in our situations. There are other options too but they're all incredibly expensive.

I'm personally leaning towards UMPI...
Do some more research, especially on this forum. There are quite few more Universities you can use for Bachelor as a foreigner.
(01-22-2021, 12:03 AM)Pikachu Wrote:

Based on my research (I'm in a similar situation), the only good options available to non-resident foreigners are Oregon State's eCampus (this is a good option if you already have a Bachelor's but want a second one in a completely different area - Oregon State has a couple post-bac options) and UMPI. UMPI + Sophia seems to be the cheapest and fastest option available to get a Bachelor's degree for people in our situations. There are other options too but they're all incredibly expensive.

I'm personally leaning towards UMPI...
Oregon allows 135 quarter credits. Which is 90 credits. Many other unis allow that. I recommend that you check it. The price of the credits looks on the expensive side if you have to make 30 credits with them. Apart from that it looks a nice place to study. Wink
TESU, COSC, EC, UMPI, and various others all allow foreign students to get a degree. Again, it heavily depends on what kind of degree that you're wanting to get. If you want a STEM-type degree (comp sci, math, etc.) then TESU is the way to go. If you want a BSBA, English, or History degree then you might choose UMPI. Liberal/general studies: probably COSC or EC (UMPI doesn't allow you to get a second degree in the future if you choose a liberal studies degree from them). Each college/university has degrees that, while you may not be able to complete them quickly/cheaply with alternate credit, aren't available at the other institutions. So you really need to figure out what degree you want and what sort of budget you have.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
(01-22-2021, 03:43 AM)Kab Wrote: Oregon allows 135 quarter credits. Which is 90 credits. Many other unis allow that. I recommend that you check it. The price of the credits looks on the expensive side if you have to make 30 credits with them. Apart from that it looks a nice place to study. Wink

I am aware. I wouldn't recommend it for a liberal-arts degree. That's why I specifically singled-out Oregon's post-bac (second bachelor degrees). Oregon State's the only way a foreigner can get a legit Bachelor of Science in Computer Science degree (as a 2nd bachelors) in 12-16 months from a decent school. Yeah I know TESU has a BS in IT.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Pikachu's post:
  • nomaduser

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 9 560 02-17-2024, 01:56 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Online Self-Paced Certified Personal Trainer course ($19.99/month) worth 3 ACE credit MNomadic 1 932 01-07-2023, 02:01 PM
Last Post: Kab
  Best Place Online for Spanish I/II PseudoPepito 5 1,082 06-17-2022, 07:04 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Organic Chemistry and Bio Chemistry Online? yeapies 14 2,327 06-11-2022, 11:31 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  StraighterLine - Degree after 50! bjcheung77 4 1,379 04-03-2022, 08:58 AM
Last Post: NC Coach
  Online credit courses Mcflurry 7 1,540 03-15-2022, 12:03 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Online proctoring and Linux? mahaganapati 4 1,254 02-20-2022, 07:22 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Are there resources to get credits online for students in the UK? yellow_gambit 4 990 11-24-2021, 11:23 AM
Last Post: yellow_gambit
  Any recommendation for these online courses accredited by ACE? ayman003 10 1,957 08-16-2021, 05:05 PM
Last Post: SteveFoerster
  TEEX courses already applied to degree Seagull 6 1,148 03-31-2021, 10:44 AM
Last Post: P226mem