Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First post, political science class guidance needed
I've been been taking Sophia classes since March 1st. I was turned down for a government job all because I lacked a piece of paper on the wall. To say say the least I have been motivated and decided to cut back on sleeping for awhile. I'm attempting to get a Political Science Degree and a history minor from UMPI. 

So far in the last 22 days I have knocked out 63 credits with 3 more credits waiting for a final touchstone grade. Outside of English I and II, History II, and Spanish I and II what else am I missing that I still need to take? 

Developing Effective Teams
Visual Communications
Art History I
The essentials of Managing Conflict 
Introduction to Ethics
Introduction to Nutrition 
Introduction to Information Technology
IT career Exploration
Introduction to Business
College Readiness
Introduction to College Mathematics
Macroeconomics 
Art History II
Introduction to Web Development
Introduction to Career Readiness
Environmental Science 
Microeconomics 
Life Span Development
Project Management
College Algebra 
Human Biology
Conflict Resolution
Financial Accounting
Foundations of Statistics 
History I- waiting on final touch stone grade 

38 year old 1 semester college drop out that I doubt anything even transfers from my only semester in college because of the remedial classes I was placed in at the time.
I would advise against English I & II from Sophia. Either take it from UMPI or Study.com. It'll arguably be faster and probably cheaper. Some students have been able to quickly get through English from Sophia, but there are a lot of complaints about these two classes specifically.

I don't see US Government on your list. Are you planning to take that from UMPI? Do you have the Human Biology lab science? You need that.

You can also take History 108 and Political Science 101 from Study.com. https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/UM...egree_Plan

I'm not 100% clear on how the History minor will work, but I think you also want US History II from Sophia? https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/UM...egree_Plan Maybe also Topics in US History as an elective course?
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • RachelB
Hi - Good first post.

It's usually recommended putting together a spreadsheet with the requirements and your completed coursework - you can then share it for advice. This allows you to see what you may be missing. Don't dismiss your CC credits, as at worst they can go into free electives.

Here are the links to the UMPI Degree plans:
General Education Requirements: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/UM...ts_Roadmap
BA Political Science: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/UM...egree_Plan
BA History: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/UM...egree_Plan

You may also want to fill out the rest of the template for maximum ability to assist: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Area-works
In progress: HAU MBA (2/3rds done so far) Completed: BA Economics | Finland Open Studies @ XAMK/Metropolia/Helsinki/Laurea
Certs Completed: Scrum CSPO/CSM | Google PM/Data Analytics/Marketing
Daniel14 Wrote:38 year old 1 semester college drop out that I doubt anything even transfers from my only semester in college because of the remedial classes I was placed in at the time.

That's correct, I would update the thread with the info requested within the addendum and template, this is to provide us with a bigger overview of your situation. The main reason is, you'll list the institution, state, credits you currently have in that one semester. UMPI needs your transcripts even if those are remedial and worth 0 credits and all failing grades, they'll keep your admissions in limbo until they get that, and will remind you until you send in all your transcripts.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Welcome, I went for the Political Science degree at UMPI as well! Great choice! Like Rachel said, Sophia's Bio w/ lab is definitely a must do, UMPI's is supposed to be a nightmare. English 1 at Sophia really isn't bad, I suggest knocking that out as well while you're at it. Do English 2 at UMPI or SDC. Also, I didn't think UMPI's American Gov. course was that bad, but if you want to knock it out before you enroll go for it! Good luck with your degree!
UMPI: Bachelor of Arts in History and Political Science 
(03-22-2024, 10:26 AM)Daniel14 Wrote: I've been been taking Sophia classes since March 1st. I was turned down for a government job all because I lacked a piece of paper on the wall. To say say the least I have been motivated and decided to cut back on sleeping for awhile. I'm attempting to get a Political Science Degree and a history minor from UMPI. 

So far in the last 22 days I have knocked out 63 credits with 3 more credits waiting for a final touchstone grade. Outside of English I and II, History II, and Spanish I and II what else am I missing that I still need to take? 

Visual Communications
Art History I
Introduction to Ethics
IT career Exploration
Introduction to Business
College Readiness
Macroeconomics 
Art History II
Environmental Science 
Microeconomics 
Life Span Development
Project Management
College Algebra 
Human Biology
Conflict Resolution
Financial Accounting

38 year old 1 semester college drop out that I doubt anything even transfers from my only semester in college because of the remedial classes I was placed in at the time.
Federal position? 
Surprised to read this. Did the hiring manager tell you the lack of a degree was the reason for not being selected?
Did you meet every other Skills, knowledge, and experience criterion?

As an observer, experience is always the most important factor for selection.

Not to express any negative thoughts; it is also my observation that job descriptions and announcements are often drafted with a preselected candidate in mind.

Are you in conversation with anyone at your desired agency?

My constant refrain -Networking is the most valuable facet in career development.
Chief Petty Officer
United States Navy (Retired)
(03-22-2024, 10:26 AM)Daniel14 Wrote: I've been been taking Sophia classes since March 1st. I was turned down for a government job all because I lacked a piece of paper on the wall. To say say the least I have been motivated and decided to cut back on sleeping for awhile. I'm attempting to get a Political Science Degree and a history minor from UMPI. 

Visual Communications
Art History I
Introduction to Ethics
IT career Exploration
Introduction to Business
College Readiness
Macroeconomics 
Art History II
Environmental Science 
Microeconomics 
Life Span Development
Project Management
College Algebra 
Human Biology
Conflict Resolution
Financial Accounting

I did history at UMPI, which is very similar; a lot of the classes are cross-listed for history and political science depending on your major. 

If you decide to complete anything on Study.com (Spanish II is difficult and time consuming but doable; I finished English II in less than a day without watching a single video or reading a single lesson), you might also consider doing a couple upper level history classes there. 

Once you're enrolled, you'll see that this degree has some leeway in regards to which classes you use to fill in required slots in your major, and SDC has quite a few classes that will do so. I wouldn't subscribe to Study.com just to do that. I think UMPI's political science and history classes are good and, especially the political science classes I took, can be done quickly (Constitutional Law and Marxism both took me two days each, if I recall). But, if you do decide to take classes on SDC, knocking out a couple upper level history electives can be nice.
Master of Arts in Political Science: Public Administration & Public Policy, Eastern Illinois University
Bachelor of Arts in History & Political Science, University of Maine at Presque Isle
[-] The following 1 user Likes wildebeest's post:
  • Jwheels27

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UMPI Class Review Master Thread RbxFunRocks 96 64,481 04-01-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: ivanswk78
  UMPI Degree Help - Bachelor of Applied Science hicham78h 13 630 02-20-2024, 04:23 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Transfer credit help needed - UMPI for BA in Accounting Sarajane 15 1,876 02-06-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  How does adding another class work? Marlin9276 4 421 02-02-2024, 05:29 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  UMPI Cybersecurity/ Computer Science RyanNeedsAnITdegree 1 481 12-29-2023, 04:57 PM
  Need Help With BABA Marketing Class selection rrrr 5 498 12-17-2023, 06:59 PM
  Class difficulty bvndz 5 971 12-17-2023, 06:01 PM
Last Post: ishady
  BAS - Bachelor of Applied Science Completed! Thank You and lessons learned! nyjosh 5 759 11-22-2023, 02:48 PM
Last Post: lynnii2
  Average Milestones per Undergraduate Class? klone 6 799 09-27-2023, 04:36 AM
Last Post: ishady
  Art class, Art History Sara143 25 1,627 09-21-2023, 11:34 AM