Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
First Term Free at Walden!
(02-04-2019, 02:29 PM)allvia Wrote: I'm out.  I have nothing bad to say about Walden, or their MBA Project Management competency-based Tempo program itself.

I've come to learn that the MBA subjects other than the Project Management topics for me...well, I've just had enough of them through the process of earning my BSBA (I'm burnt out on Business Admin).  I'm going to put my master's money towards a degree related to IT (my first love) and work on preparing for the PMP on my own.  I also may have jumped into a master's too soon (I started 7 days before my bachelor's had even conferred).   I'm going to take a short break from school - a few months to a year off.

This is why I'm going for the MS-ITM at WGU instead.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

[-] The following 1 user Likes quigongene's post:
  • allvia
(02-04-2019, 02:36 PM)sanantone Wrote: You're not alone. I thought about an MBA years, but I knew I would be too bored to get through it.

Does anyone study business administration because it's interesting? I guess there's someone out there.

I think I'd enjoy MBA coursework. Depending on the actual assignments, but I think would enjoy most. However, an MBA isn't in line with my goals at this point.

(02-04-2019, 02:36 PM)sanantone Wrote: You're not alone. I thought about an MBA years ago, but I knew I would be too bored to get through it.

Does anyone study business administration because it's interesting? I guess there's someone out there.

I'm not pursuing an MBA because most of my peers at work (40s-50s-60s) who hold MBAs said it was a complete waste of time and money. Nearly all of the graduates in my employer's MBA program are now at the bottom of the dog pile at work. The MBA program itself is now finally defunct. The most successful MBAs at my work are those who joined recently, age <40, and earned them from top-25 programs. I'm not doing much better either so I'm pretty gun shy as far as earning another degree. That's why I completely skipped this thread and pretty much the whole forum since 2016 when I got my BACS/BA Math and my initial promotion. Things have gone totally south since then at work.

I really wish it wasn't so because there are some really cool ways to earn AA/BA/MA degrees in this forum like in this thread. Business administration is not interesting at all to me. As interesting as the process to earn degrees as described in this forum, I'm not gonna earn any degrees unless there is a direct financial benefit at work and not just vague promises of promotions. Vague promises are broken promises. I don't want to be the guy with a billion degrees and IT certifications but a crap position and nothing else to show for it.
TESU BA CS and Math (graduated December 2016)
[-] The following 1 user Likes TrailRunr's post:
  • eriehiker
TrailRunr:

I just want to thank you for your very creative dual degree cs/math plans. They were fantastic and really inspired me to take a lot more math classes. It is a major bummer to hear that your degrees have not helped at work. I'm not sure if it means anything, but I have always admired your effort and plans for the degree. I hope that it eventually provides you some value.

Thanks Again!
eriehiker

Update:

I have completed 14 competencies towards the MS in Early Childhood Studies: Administration, Management and Leadership. My unofficial Walden transcript now includes six graduate credit hours from the program and I am one competency away from three more credits and a few more from five classes total. I have 26 days left in the third month of the term and I feel pretty confident that I will get to at least five or six classes which would be 15 to 18 credit hours. Many thanks to sanantone for noticing this deal/program.

I am kind of 50/50 on paying $1800 to Walden to complete the master's. I already have a master's degree, so that is not the value proposition. It is an administrative master's and I do hope to transition from teaching to curriculum/administration in three years. So that would be a positive. It is cheap. I also feel confident that I would be able to complete the program in a second term. I may defer to the summer term so that I have time after school ends.

One thing that is an issue is that Walden has still not given me a credit transfer evaluation. Walden's web site says that there is a maximum of 15 credits that can be transferred into the program. Since I already have an MAT and several courses would seem to be equivalents, this has been an issue in terms of plotting strategy for this first term and also decisionmaking in terms of a second potential term. So, we will see.

Note: It is possible that Walden just doesn't know what to do with my quantity of transcripts. I did send them about a dozen. Probably can't fault them for that. Haha!

Overall, I think that the program is pretty much as advertised. It is A LOT of writing. There have been just a couple of competencies with a multiple choice final exam/assessment. I also have to say that I have never had APA format requirements so rigorously enforced as in this program. This is saying something, given that I have a Michigan undergrad, a completed master's and twelve credits so far from Harvard extension. Walden will apparently die on the hill for APA. Haha!

Oh, also, it is possible to complete the graduate certificate in administration/leadership in one term. It is a lot of work, but doable. I will pretty much be there in two months because I didn't do too much at Christmas time. I was advised that switching back into the grad. cert. from the MS program was a program change and would require a second term. So anyone attempting a free grad. cert. should go immediately into the grad. cert. program. I am not too bummed about this because I'm not sure that I need another grad. cert. and the extra class is probably worth the trade-off for me.
[-] The following 3 users Like eriehiker's post:
  • acamp, sanantone, TrailRunr
(02-06-2019, 01:10 PM)eriehiker Wrote: Note: It is possible that Walden just doesn't know what to do with my quantity of transcripts.  I did send them about a dozen.  Probably can't fault them for that.  Haha!

They should give you the max credits so they don't have to sort it out Smile

$1800 is a steal. Would "Early Childhood" Admin match up with your career goal?

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • eriehiker
Ideas!

The reason this master's degree appealed to me is that I was a preschool teacher for about five years before I started teaching HS/MS. I also have one year teaching in an elementary school. This master's degree kind of pairs nicely with about six years worth of career experience.

I think that I would love a curriculum director job or something that is a little bit in the classroom, but that is mostly planning, writing, etc. This kind of master's would be good for that. That said, this is not a master's that leads directly to, say, principal certification. It could lead to teaching in an educational leadership program. It very probably makes someone qualified for lower-level administrator certificates.
[-] The following 1 user Likes eriehiker's post:
  • Ideas
(02-06-2019, 01:10 PM)eriehiker Wrote: ...
Note: It is possible that Walden just doesn't know what to do with my quantity of transcripts.  I did send them about a dozen.  Probably can't fault them for that.  Haha!

I could. It's their job and they expect you to pay a lot of money to get a degree. The least they can do is give you an answer on your transfer credits. I would tell them that you won't sign up for a follow on term until and unless they respond.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Oh yeah, davewill. I am not doing the second term until they do a credit eval. No doubt.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Graduate Discounts (ENEB, Walden, etc) ashkir 24 21,191 03-27-2024, 01:03 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  MIT University just released free online courses. KSoul 0 424 02-14-2024, 04:33 AM
Last Post: KSoul
  List of free graduate credit udi 15 7,615 01-26-2024, 09:16 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Walden university richlyblessed 7 1,348 01-02-2024, 09:30 PM
  Any Online Free Master Degree? JesterRigid 15 5,463 09-07-2023, 06:12 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Chaminade University - Ed.S School Psychology program (Not online, but it's FREE !) nyvrem 9 1,206 09-02-2023, 04:19 AM
Last Post: GameSlinger
  Low Cost / Free online Masters programs from Germany nyvrem 32 11,469 07-30-2023, 03:38 AM
  MBA Programs Walden vs WGU vs Capella blahblahblah88 6 1,448 07-08-2023, 05:10 AM
Last Post: EverSpinning
  Study MSc in Environmental Management for free with the Open University UK HVzR5 3 691 05-13-2023, 02:53 PM
Last Post: HVzR5
  would like to talk to anyone who has taken walden university classes (graduate) TINASAM 8 1,432 05-06-2023, 09:46 AM
Last Post: TINASAM