Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FEMA courses
I have a couple questions about FEMA...ive spoken to a lot of schools about getting 60 credits and they all offer a degree and said it will take probably close to 2 years to get online and I dont need a degree or have 2 years to get 60 credits...I just need the credits for NYPD(garbage courses whatever it doesnt matter...just credits) and im being told by a few people to check out FEMA and i can receive 60 credits in like 2-3 months...is there any truth to this or what because if so ill be starting right away to get it done and out of the way Smile i took the NYPD test last month and scored well..I dont want to get a phone call say 8-10 months from now and not have the credits to move foward. Any tips be appreciated thank you

Ok thank you very much guys...ill be making a phone call to get some info on getting started...much appreciated

Hi there im looking for some info...read too many different things and would like it pretty much laid out my best options if anyone can help Tongue ive heard red rocks college..tesc..fcc and all these other options for FEMA courses i need to know the simplest one for my situation. I need 60 college credits for NYPD...doesnt matter what they are and do not need a degree so none of the fema courses will be towards anything but pure credits. Started week and a half ago and have 7 FEMA courses/credits done and hoping to get all 60 or as many as possible ASAP like 2-5 months. If i take all the FEMA courses and say ask for a transcript and send it to TESC credit bank..ill get college credit for the courses that say 1.0 credit Tongue correct? I heard TESC does it for pretty much free...well around 400 bucks to get a bank and they will turn my FEMA courses into real college credits and that will and should be good enough for NYPD. If i can do any other courses after FEMA to speed the process please let me know. If im mistaken with anything here or if there is an easier way please speak up Smile

MA2 Wrote:Just take some of the 6 credit CLEP exams that most people find "easy" .... Analyzing and interpreting literature, social sciences and history, college composition, natural sciences and college mathematics would be a total of 30 credits right there, halfway done.

Ill look into that asap thank you MA2

vetvso Wrote:yes TESC is your best option in my opinion. Search my user name and you will see the ones TESC converted recently.

Perfect...appreciate the help. thank you

MA2 Wrote:Not sure if TESC would be the best ... don't they have a large enrollment fee?

Not sure...for what CLEP exams? I know a credit bank for 60 credits is like 450 bucks and 61+ is 700 or so. as for clep exams i was just gonna go to my local college and ask about them.

MA2 Wrote:No the CLEPs are the best deal... only about 100 bucks per test for civilians. I meant TESC might not be the best college since I believe they have a large enrollment fee.

They won't charge you to transfer credits in, but you do have to pay the enrollment fee.

Interesting ill have to find out how much that is...any other places you know offhand that do credit banking with a decent enrollment fee? know that red rocks college takes all kinds of stuff but ill have to look at the banking. thanks

MA2 Wrote:Maybe one of the other members could help you out in the "Big 3" forum... I'm going to TESC but I don't have to pay any of those fees so I never bothered to look :-P

Just rephrase your question and mention that you don't want to pay a whole lot for enrollment fees or transfer fees etc and so on if no one chimes in on this thread.

But you can start taking as many CLEPs/DSSTs as you can now for around 100 bucks each and when you find the college that suits you pay a small fee and get the official CLEP/DSST transcripts sent to that school. Take all the 6 credit exams you think you can pass.

Thank you ill be looking into that soon...How many of those tests can i take? I need 60 credits and was going to get most through FEMA and clean up with the CLEP tests but I just tried to get into the FEMA site and something about government funding might shut down the program which would really suck. I am headed to my local community college tomorrow to sign up for one of the 5 CLEP exams you mentioned to me. I figure or my hope is that I can study for a week or 2 and pass the exam? is that doable or is it more material than i think? heh..Im used to the fema courses and those are very easy.

Been working on credits for the NYPD through FEMA and have completed 12 so far all worth 1 credit each and looking to swap out a few for some other 1.0 credit courses that i dont have...have (IS-1 / IS-3 / IS-5.a / IS-7 / IS-8.a / IS-111 / IS-139 / IS-208.a / IS-230.a / IS-235.a / IS-240.a / IS-241.a) thank you send email to dmoney921@gmail.com if have any i dont. Dont need a degree just raw credits so anything worth 1.0 credits ill take to get this done. may be frowned upon but whatever im not the first one Tongue thanks

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

well apparently i upset some peoples so my apologies...Ive done 30 on my own and havent received any from anyone so i havent cheated. I only asked so far. Sorry all

ill be deleting this thread then...just known of a lot of people who traded on and off. or if i can figure out how sorry again

rebel100 Wrote:You won't be judged by the mistake...only by how you deal with it. It's an issue intgrity and character! Don't be sorry that you upset people....consider that you might need to reflect on your actions which were inappropriate.

Have you considered pursuing the credits available through ACE? There is the three credit supervisor course through NFA and if your good at math you could quickly and easily gain some credit through ALEKS. I'm sure that after wading through 30 FEMA's your ready for a change.

Not really rebel no I planned on doing 30 FEMA courses and then doing 5 CLEP exams worth 6 credits each to finish off...I might just do all 60 with FEMA...they are def easy and out of curiosity Im not sure how to get credit for the ones I have...whats the easiest cheapest way to take the credits and turn them into credits I actually get credit for lol...as long as its accepted by the NYPD id be happy. If a moderator is also available please delete my posts if they are creating an issue. rather not have this hanging over my head. Thanks

rebel100 Wrote:Im no expert on transferring FEMA to NYC but I seem to recall that the NYPD took a transcript directly from FEMA for your purposes. Look on the FEMA site for 'transcripts" and call the NYPD and see if that will suffice...I would be interested in the response.

Frederick CC is the easiest choice for turning FEMA into legit course credit raw...but it's expensive at $76 a credit.

TESC has some options....but will not be a cheap way to just get the credit.

Red Rocks CC in Colorado has some options, but again not just to turn the FEMA into credit....it's a degree or certificate program that requires more work.

Ill have to check with the NYPD and give them a call...If I request a transcript when im done with the credits will they release the transcript to me or will they require me to pay for each credit before they release them? If not that would just be a sweet deal. Yes ive heard of those other options and they are a bit pricey considering I cant get a loan or anything for them...id have to pay it out of pocket which would hurt a bunch and theres not a guarantee id be hired

just called NYPD and they said they accept the transcript directly from FEMA so thats good news...

and on a side note can I even get 60 credits through just fema? Ive been looking at some of the courses and a lot of them are combining 2-5 courses to make 1 credit. Says 1 Credit for course 700/703/703 then says i get another credit if i did 702 and combined it with 700/703 for 1 credit so do i actually get 3 credits or only 1 credit for having completed courses 700/702/703. which is pretty lame if thats the case lol

Planning on taking a few cleps and really cant find any solid information anywhere the only thing I know is the price which is awesome for being able to get 6 credits for 1 test. I know you get material to read and you study and then when you feel you ready you take the test? How long would you say you need to study for say Analyzing and Interpreting literature for 6 credits....could you read the book in a couple days and pass the test or it take weeks or what? Are the exams multiple choice? is there an essay that needs to be written...usually how many questions blah blah Tongue Trying to get a feel for it. Im a horrible test taker but could really use the 6 credits for the great price so i gotta do it.

Thank you guys ill be looking into that...Have about 36 FEMA credits and need to hit 60 so figured Id CLEP my way there Tongue info been most helpful thank you again

Been taking classes for the NYPD through FEMA and CLEP exams. NYPD requires 2.0 GPA or better and FEMA told me they dont think i get a GPA from their exams and isnt much info about CLEPS giving a GPA...Do I need to sign up for a few classes at a local college to obtain a GPA or do cleps give a GPA? On a side note thanks for the help with the CLEPS everyone I was told Analyzing and Interperting Literature was pretty easy...I looked at the Study Guide for about an hour and took the test about an hour ago and scored a 58 which was supposedly passing lol so it was pretty easy Smile Any recommend I try next? someone mentioned Social sciences and History for another 6 credits?
What you are looking for is the TESC credit bank, to "store" you completed FEMA credits.
Absolutely. You can credit bank them with TESC for a few hundred dollars to fulfill the requirement and make them regionally accredited college credit assuming you are not attempting to get a degree. I am not certain that you can get all 60 with FEMA but you can get most of them, no question. Also NFA will get you 3 more and the rest you can get with ALEKS damn near for free. All told probably less than 400 bucks and a fraction of the time.
Please stop corporate child abuse, learn about World Wide Association of Specialty Programs and other "troubled teen" facilities that abuse kids and cheat parents:
http://www.time.com/time/health/article/...82,00.html
http://cafety.org/films/765-whos-watchin...ontana-pbs

The Goal:
A.S. From Excelsior

>>>COMPLETE!

63 FEMA courses complete 1/2/10
4 NFA courses Complete 1/5/10
A+ (Computer Repair)
N+ (Networking)
MCP XP PRO (Microsoft Certified Professional)
AP English Literature
ALEKS Beginning Algebra
ALEKS Intermediate Algebra
ALEKS College Algebra
ALEKS TRIG.
ALEKS Intro to STATS
Straighterline Macro Econ
Straighterline Micro Econ
Straighterline Accounting I
Straighterline Accounting II
Penn Foster Info Literacy
Penn Foster Art Appreciation
Penn Foster Music Appreciation
Penn Foster Psychology
If you want to be a police officer I would think taking a Criminal Justice or Intro to law enforcement exam for ~$100 would be a good 3 credit option to add to the FEMA
hey guys im new to the site... i was referred here by some friends. i have a question how can i fill out for some classes to gain 60 credits to join the NYPD im looking for some classes thats short term not like a 2yr thing... can anyone help?
Canon,
You probably want to search the forum. If you don't find what you are looking for-start a new thread with your question. I'm sorry I can't answer your question exactly, but take a GOOD look around this site and you will end up with tons of info.
thanks alot bro i will
Hey you guys,

I already have about 33 CUNY College credits. I'm about 27 short. I did a year of Medical Assistant at Sanford-Brown Institute in NY. Where can I get those garbage MA courses turned to acceptable credits to the NYPD through FEMA?
Ned1231 Wrote:Hey you guys,

I already have about 33 CUNY College credits. I'm about 27 short. I did a year of Medical Assistant at Sanford-Brown Institute in NY. Where can I get those garbage MA courses turned to acceptable credits to the NYPD through FEMA?

Well, basically you can't -- through FEMA that is. FEMA offers its own courses and there are ways (FCC, TESC etc) of translating them into credits towards a degree from a Regionally Accredited school. FEMA doesn't handle or deal with other schools' courses.

I checked - and Sanford-Brown Institute is Nationally - not Regionally - accredited. Some locations are ACCST-accredited, others are ACICS-accredited. If any courses you have completed there are are ACE-reviewed, (and I don't know whether they are or not) those individual courses are probably OK for RA purposes and - if so - can likely be banked at TESC etc.

If the SBI courses are not ACE-reviewed -well, I don't know if they're any good to you or not - depends whether NYPD accepts credits earned at NA schools. You probably know that answer - I don't. If they DO accept them - you need only submit them. If they don't - and the SBI credits are not "launderable" by virtue of ACE-review, then maybe you should forget about SBI altogether. Your fastest route might be earning the required credits through FEMA courses. I've heard of people knocking off 20-odd FEMA credits in a few days!

Johann

PS - "Garbage courses" (your words) don't often turn into "acceptable credit." Is there a reason why they should?
Hey guys,
I am Physical therapist.
I have cleared my license exam but still to get PT license i need extra 18 general credits.
I am trying to get through CLEP but i was also looking for FEMA courses.

Is there any college which can award me any small degree from 15 tp 20 credit courses by FEMA?

Thank You
poolatsya Maliwad.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ASU 100 Million Learners - All graduate courses now available jg_nuy 35 3,962 04-17-2024, 06:44 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 1,769 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Study.com --- courses midnite123 9 734 02-24-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: EE-AE-Engineer
  The Rechtschaffen Institute of Judaic Studies (Has anyone taken one of these courses? patsfand 1 787 02-22-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  Introductory data science courses inor 6 576 02-08-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: fmsoa
Question Graduate-Level Courses NotJoeBiden 7 679 01-24-2024, 06:51 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Help Finding Some Courses harrypotter 2 298 01-23-2024, 03:52 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU---Easy Courses and TECEPS midnite123 5 585 01-04-2024, 08:22 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Salvaging FEMA credits CaughtInTheRye12 6 511 12-28-2023, 11:57 PM
Last Post: CaughtInTheRye12
  Cheap Self-Paced Language Courses or courses IN said languages? nykorn 4 458 12-09-2023, 12:06 PM
Last Post: nykorn