Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FEMA and your Resume
Inspired by another post here, I have decided to pose the question regarding how FEMA credits can or should be mentioned on your resume.

I would imagine that the benefit of the FEMA certificates would be limited to just helping you get through college cheaply if your career is in a totally unrelated field. However, I also wonder how beneficial they are if you are in a field that does use this knowledge.

For example, as many of you know, I'm in software sales and for years it was medical software. However, back in January, I switched slightly to the chemical area and now I find myself doing the FEMA courses for my personal benefit even though I don't need the credits anymore.

So the question would be: Do any of you list FEMA certifications on your resume or LinkedIn profile? If so, how do you list them and how do employers view them? If you're in the emergency management world are they taken seriously? I mean, so far I think they look good, but they are free and self-paced, so that could mean that people don't have a great opinion of them.. I'm not looking for a new job right now, but since I'm new to the chemical management world, I am wondering if having FEMA certs listed on my LinkedIn might give me some industry cred.

Thoughts?
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
That would seem to me like posting your individual college courses on your resume. That would be like posting your military courses on your resume too. I don't think posting FEMA on resume's can really help. I think the only one it seems to benefit is FEMA itself. I believe they have your information, keep track of your "Training" and in some national emergency, they may actually CALL ON YOU to help out. Or pass this information out to your local government. "Lets see, we have a Mr. Burbuja0520 living in your area that just got slammed by a F4 Tornado, he resides at such and such address, and he's FEMA trained extensively. Go get him".
Holy year old thread palm man!

There are many jobs out there where having the pertinant FEMA on the resume is not just "ok", but desireable. I don't list all of mine (I would need an extra page). But I do list some of the broader coursework. In particulat the FEMA Professional Developement Series or PDS is a requirement for a growing number of jobs such as Firefighter, Police, Emergency Management, and EMS. I just today finished FEMA IC 300 (in classroom for three days). That along with IC 400 are sought after/required in a growing number of jobs.

I also list the advanced coursework such as FEMA CDP (Center for Domestic Preparedness) course work.....then again I am a practicing Emergency Manager for mer Firefighter/Paramedic.....so maybe I'm just drawn to it! LOL\

Post script....FEMA can't always even account for all it's equipemnt like Satelite phones, bulldoziers, and trailers AFTER an event....the idea that they will wait for a disaster and cull through paperwork to find someone to press into service....well.....that makes me laugh a little. It just isn't a plausable theory. Now if you go through the proper channels and volunteer....yeah, you might get a call. Staff positions on most teams are actually hard to come by, there is usually a waiting list to even be considered.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
Then again, I never was a great resume creator. Yea, maybe in that field it helps to list those. I am a bit curious how those FEMA credits will apply if any to that BAST AVIATION MX. The cool thing is they'll send me a transcript. I know I took about some 25 or so courses. Not looking for any surprises there though.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Resume Question ROYISAGIRL 11 1,127 07-12-2022, 08:38 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Resume Rewrite from Indeed Vle045 6 766 06-22-2022, 04:04 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  Resumé Writer recommendations SDO 5 1,705 05-09-2020, 12:10 PM
Last Post: asianphd
  Resume advise Rustydroid 3 1,562 10-01-2019, 03:15 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Question about resume Imbanewbie 8 2,154 08-21-2019, 12:26 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Job Interview, Resume and Cover Letter Tips natshar 3 1,081 08-01-2019, 08:30 AM
Last Post: natshar
  Education Section of Job Resume katelynn 14 2,629 05-17-2019, 11:02 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Question Regarding Resume Regards 33 6,522 06-10-2018, 12:39 PM
Last Post: icampy
  Ethics of listing degree(s) on resume Thorne 15 5,371 01-02-2018, 10:34 PM
Last Post: cardiacclep
  Resume, Cover Letter - Introduction Letter Examples bjcheung77 17 3,515 10-02-2017, 07:01 PM
Last Post: Gcheads