Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Excelsior UL credit
hi,
I just switched my degree plan from Liberal Arts to BA in Psychology. I need to take Biopsychology/Physiological Psychology and History of Psychological Foundations. they are both UL credits and are offered at Excelsior Online for 15 weeks. Has any one found a shorter alternative who have completed this degree? I searched the forum and asked the Excelsior advisor, but they stated they can't offer a suggestion. I thought they used to do this. Any suggestions?
once upon a time someone used 4 of these to complete the 12hr depth for Psychology

Life Span Developmental Psychology 3.0
Psychology of Adulthood & Aging* 3.0 / U
Research Methods in Psychology* 3.0 / U
Social Psychology** 3.0 / U
Abnormal Psychology* * 3.0 / U
getting there
Erika, I did all the courses/exams that Bella lists to fulfill my Psychology area of focus at EC. I did the BSLS with a focus in Psychology. I'm not sure if that helps or not, but it might give you a starting point. Do they offer exams for either of those classes? I did take 7 classes at EC and can tell you they are very heavy on paper writing in APA, so if you take the classes be prepared for lots of papers. Good luck!
Completed 2/09 - 5/13

RHIA Post-Bac Cert - Stephens - 5/13
MHA - Bellevue Univ - 3/12
BSHS - Excelsior 12/10
BSLS - Excelsior 3/10
ASLS - Excelsior 4/09

ECE - A&P - B
ECE - Found. of Gerontology - B
ECE - Ethics: Theory & Practice - B
ECE - Psych. of Adulthood & Aging - A
ECE - Social Psych. - B
ECE - Abnormal Psych. - B
ECE - HR Management - B
ECE - Research Methods of Psych. - B
ECE - Pathophysiology - A

CLEP - American Govt - 58
CLEP - Intro. to Sociology - 63
CLEP - A & I Lit - 70
DSST - Fund. of Counseling - A (65)
DSST - Org. Behavior - A (67)
DSST - Environment & Humanity - A (62)
DSST - Found. of Education - A (64)
DSST - Here's to Your Health - 461 (Pass)
DSST - Substance Abuse - 460 (Pass)
DSST - Principles of Supervision - A (61)
DSST - Lifespan Developmental Psych - A (59)
DSST - Criminal Justice - 443 (Pass)
DSST - MIS - 415 (Pass)
UExcel - Intro. to Psych (Beta)- Pass
ALEKS - College Alg, Stats
Straighterline - Medical Term, Pharmacology I & II
FEMA - PDS + more
The Biopsychology and History oh psychological foundations are 15 week classes at Excelsior. There are no tests for these classes, I was just trying to see what other alternatives may be out there for these classes. I rember in the past Excelsior steered me toward other options in regard to classes, now there saying you have to find it on your own.
Erikadawn Wrote:hi,
I just switched my degree plan from Liberal Arts to BA in Psychology. I need to take Biopsychology/Physiological Psychology and History of Psychological Foundations. they are both UL credits and are offered at Excelsior Online for 15 weeks. Has any one found a shorter alternative who have completed this degree? I searched the forum and asked the Excelsior advisor, but they stated they can't offer a suggestion. I thought they used to do this. Any suggestions?

Unfortunately, my first instinct is to recommend biting the bullet and taking these courses through EC. At 15 weeks and with content overlap you'd certainly be sitting in a good place to both pass and pass well these courses. But, that's not what you asked for.

The 'History of Psychological Foundations' course is also widely known as 'History and Systems'. Sometimes this is used as a captstone-style course for psychology major programmes but is also offered at lower level by a lot of institutions, e.g. BYU. Doing a google for 'psychology "history and systems" distance', throws up quite a few online courses, but most are scheduled for Fall 2012 running 12 weeks+.

Andrews University partner Oakwood University offers an upper level, paper-correspondence, self-paced, 3-credit course in History and Systems:

Psychology/Behavioral Sciences :: Andrews University

It's $345/cr, so on par with EC. Both Andrews and Oakwood are regionally accredited, so this should be acceptable at EC.

IMHO, I'd still recommend doing the courses with EC.

Good luck!
[SIZE="1"]
Bachelor of Science in Psychology, Excelsior College 2012
Master of Arts in International Relations, Staffordshire University, UK - in progress

Aleks
All courses taken, 12 credits applied
CLEP
A&I Literature (74), Intro Sociology (72), Info Systems and Computer Apps (67), Humanities (70), English Literature (65), American Literature (51), Principles of Mangement (65), Principles of Marketing (71)
DSST
Management Information Systems (469), Intro to Computing (461)
Excelsior College
Information Literacy, International Terrorism (A), Contemporary Middle East History (A), Discrete Structures (A), Social Science Capstone (A)
GRE Subject Test
Psychology (93rd percentile, 750 scaled score)
Straighterline
English Composition I&II, Economics I&II, Accounting I&II, General Calculus I, Business Communication

Progress history[/SIZE]
Thanks for the info. I am going to take History and Systems at Brigham Young, it's only $471 and it's at your own pace, so I should be able to get threw it quickly. I just did not want to do 15 weeks at Excelsior.
I haven't taken any courses from here yet

Courses by Subject A-B : Athabasca University

but I know Excelsior accepts them and they are all "study at your own pace"
[quote=Erikadawn]Thanks for the info. I am going to take History and Systems at Brigham Young, it's only $471 and it's at your own pace, so I should be able to get threw it quickly. I just did not want to do 15 weeks at Excelsior.[/QUOThhyE]

Check with EC to make sure they'll take history and systems at byu as it's lower level, there. Email the lateam with the syllabus and a link to the course outline asking if it will fulfil the requirement. If you get a yes then you're 99% covered.

Good luck!
[SIZE="1"]
Bachelor of Science in Psychology, Excelsior College 2012
Master of Arts in International Relations, Staffordshire University, UK - in progress

Aleks
All courses taken, 12 credits applied
CLEP
A&I Literature (74), Intro Sociology (72), Info Systems and Computer Apps (67), Humanities (70), English Literature (65), American Literature (51), Principles of Mangement (65), Principles of Marketing (71)
DSST
Management Information Systems (469), Intro to Computing (461)
Excelsior College
Information Literacy, International Terrorism (A), Contemporary Middle East History (A), Discrete Structures (A), Social Science Capstone (A)
GRE Subject Test
Psychology (93rd percentile, 750 scaled score)
Straighterline
English Composition I&II, Economics I&II, Accounting I&II, General Calculus I, Business Communication

Progress history[/SIZE]
CSU Pueblo might have some UL you can use under Sociology. Colorado State University-Pueblo > Sociology Self paced, I finished most courses in less than three weeks. Around $500/3 credits.

But the University of Idaho Independent Study is even better. Psychology-Independent Study in Idaho-University of Idaho Lots of UL Psych, Excellent name, Really cheap at around $300/3 credits.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
Thanks for this info, they have a lot of classes I can use.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,861 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Does TESU put the free Ethics class from the Institutes as a grade or just as credit? Jenna.C 19 5,472 09-14-2018, 12:27 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
Question Does anyone have a copy of a TESU Credit Bank transcript they'd be will to post? Kelly Green 2 2,074 08-30-2018, 04:46 PM
Last Post: Kelly Green
  Unofficial DegreeForum Wiki - Credit by Exam info, Degree Plans, etc dcan 43 26,962 08-17-2018, 11:29 AM
Last Post: elenlushk
  TESU - BSBA HR spreadsheet? UL AOS credit suggestions allvia 7 2,671 08-12-2018, 07:47 PM
Last Post: Jimmy999
  DSST credit on TESU Individual Learning Account (Credit Bank)? Kelly Green 6 2,010 08-11-2018, 01:11 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Excelsior HR Degree Progress glgamerica 6 1,824 07-31-2018, 10:44 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Excelsior: ALEKS Beginning Algebra duplicates ... bluebooger 13 3,161 07-26-2018, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Exfactor
  Excelsior College 47th Annual Commencement - 12 Year Old Graduate Life Long Learning 16 4,915 07-26-2018, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 1 1,286 07-20-2018, 11:10 AM
Last Post: hsfamfun