Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Excelsior History Degree Questions
Hey guys, I just started pursuing a B.S. in history and am choosing to go with Excelsior over TESU because of the Free Sophia courses.  I am very much new to all of this, I have read through the introduction wiki and have scoured some thresads but still have a few questions.  Please send any helpful links my way for the degree in general.  In regards to GEN Ed requirements, excelsior seems to be very vague.  in the 27 hours of "Additional Arts and Sciences" in the GENED requirements, do they simply mean electives?  If so, does that mean that any Sophia credit applies to them?  US History 1 & 2 are listed to transfer to excelsior as "Social Science", but does anyone know if they will transfer directly to US History 1 & 2 for my major required courses?  Any information, degree plan advice, or links would be helpful.  Thanks in advance!
(04-12-2020, 01:02 PM)jaxonhart Wrote: Hey guys, I just started pursuing a B.S. in history and am choosing to go with Excelsior over TESU because of the Free Sophia courses.  I am very much new to all of this, I have read through the introduction wiki and have scoured some thresads but still have a few questions.  Please send any helpful links my way for the degree in general.  In regards to GEN Ed requirements, excelsior seems to be very vague.  in the 27 hours of "Additional Arts and Sciences" in the GENED requirements, do they simply mean electives?  If so, does that mean that any Sophia credit applies to them?  US History 1 & 2 are listed to transfer to excelsior as "Social Science", but does anyone know if they will transfer directly to US History 1 & 2 for my major required courses?  Any information, degree plan advice, or links would be helpful.  Thanks in advance!

I would think they would be the CORE History classes.  Look at DSST/Dantes exams as they have lots of history classes.  Some are even UL.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

First off, I don't understand what you mean by choosing Excelsior over TESU because of Sophia?  They actually accept about the same amount of credits, except Excelsior will allow the 3 foundation courses into their free electives.  Technically, you can get 75 credits into TESU and up to 80 to Excelsior all with Sophia courses alone. 

The difference is negligible as TESU requires only 18 UL and Excelsior requires 30 UL, it may cost more to get the extra UL in the end and take longer as you may need to head into a test center for DSST exams, etc.   In any case, you should get all the Sophia.org credits and apply them to both and see who will grant more credits and calculate the pricing.

One more thing to note, TESU requires 16 credits and Excelsior requires 12 credits residency if you want to get a cheaper deal on graduation and other fees.  Here's a link for TESU, it'll apply to Excelsior as well, you need to pick 18 UL History courses from this:  https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/My...in_History
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior BSLA - Upper Level Credits Robinred2404 7 410 03-18-2024, 09:08 PM
Last Post: Robinred2404
  Degree Planning Advice For Research (Upper Level) Credit Dnightowl 4 511 01-30-2024, 10:46 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Has excelsior accepted CSM math recently? CM1999 6 938 01-11-2024, 10:16 PM
  So disappointed in Excelsior. Should I bail or suck it up for the last class? profstudent 22 5,585 12-06-2023, 02:03 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  New Change to Enrollment at Excelsior U. -- Not Good milah1 12 1,648 10-20-2023, 12:46 PM
Last Post: frankc
  Overwhelmed with info but excited to start my BA- just a few questions hexclep 12 1,339 08-24-2023, 12:37 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Excelsior University BS in Liberal Arts Upper Credit Transfer Options Niketay 13 2,319 07-05-2023, 10:22 AM
  Need to know what UL credits will work for Liberal Arts degree AnyName 20 3,173 06-25-2023, 11:56 PM
Last Post: Kab
  Excelsior University to Ivey League ----> RichestLiberalArtsMajor 5 1,338 06-06-2023, 09:32 AM
Last Post: IReallyNeedADegree
  OTmina - Excelsior Degree Plan OTmina 28 4,078 05-16-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: OTmina