Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Excelsior Business Strategy 495
Hello Everyone,

I know several members have just completed this at Excelsior. If you are one of those lucky members, please post some specific feedback regarding this online course.
Joe

Excelsior BSB Aug 21, 2009
bump da bump
This course was very educating and interesting.It does involves a lot of reading and researching.The professor also steered the class to "challenge" each other-statements had to be supported by facts.
All the same I was able to have an A.
I'll be enrolled in the July 7th class,
I'll keep you updated.
The next Excelsior BP course starts in July and ends in Oct.!!! Is that the only option? I want to finish as soon as possible. I am confused by the requimrent that BP should be taken only with Excelsior, but I have read some where else about the TECEP Business Policy, would this also work??????

:confused:
------------------------------------
Excelsior BS - Business, Cum Laude

120/120 Credits
(106 traditional credits, 63 transferred)

Month, Subject, credits, grade:
May, Intro to World Religions, 3, 66
June, MIS, 3, 51
July, Drug and Alcohol Abuse, 3, 60
July, Fundamentals of Counseling, 3, 55
July, Intro to Business Law, 3, 56
Aug, Business Law II, 3, 60
Sept, Intro Psychology, 3, 71
Oct, ECE Business Ethics, 3, B
Nov., ECE Organizational Behavior, 3, A
Courses:
PF, English Composition, 3, 88 (Jul-Sept.)
EC: Bus. Strategy, 3, A (Jul.-Oct.)
PF: Principles of Finance, 3, 95 (Oct-Nov.)
-----------------------------
NEXT/PENDING (my goal is to finish by Nov. 2008)

NONE! Mission completed! Big Grin

Total Undergraduate SH = 162
jorai Wrote:I am confused by the requimrent that BP should be taken only with Excelsior, but I have read some where else about the TECEP Business Policy, would this also work??????

:confused:

It used to. If you were registered by Sept. '07 (I think that was the cut-off) you could take the TECEP--but after that you HAVE to take the EC class.
My Excelsior Journey
Bachelor of Science in General Business, cum laude
Excelsior College
Hi,

I will be also in the July class for the EC course of Business Strategy, I was hoping to finish my credits requirements by Aug., but due to this course :mad: it seems I will not be graduating until after Oct.!!!!

My question is:

For the ones that have already taken this course, am I allow to finish before the end date of the course?

Thanks for your help! This would help me plan, since I still have almost 2 months to start that course.

J.
------------------------------------
Excelsior BS - Business, Cum Laude

120/120 Credits
(106 traditional credits, 63 transferred)

Month, Subject, credits, grade:
May, Intro to World Religions, 3, 66
June, MIS, 3, 51
July, Drug and Alcohol Abuse, 3, 60
July, Fundamentals of Counseling, 3, 55
July, Intro to Business Law, 3, 56
Aug, Business Law II, 3, 60
Sept, Intro Psychology, 3, 71
Oct, ECE Business Ethics, 3, B
Nov., ECE Organizational Behavior, 3, A
Courses:
PF, English Composition, 3, 88 (Jul-Sept.)
EC: Bus. Strategy, 3, A (Jul.-Oct.)
PF: Principles of Finance, 3, 95 (Oct-Nov.)
-----------------------------
NEXT/PENDING (my goal is to finish by Nov. 2008)

NONE! Mission completed! Big Grin

Total Undergraduate SH = 162
Any others wish to provide feedback or suggestions for this course? I am currently signed up for this class and feel a little overwhelmed for what is expected along with the Case Study.

Thanks
Epiphany Wrote:Hello Everyone,

I know several members have just completed this at Excelsior. If you are one of those lucky members, please post some specific feedback regarding this online course.
Thanks Joe! Does not seem to be an abundance of people who have taken this course. I am enrolled and will post back details when I finish. Good luck to everyone currently enrolled. See ya' round virtual campus.
[SIZE="5"]Thee Ivan[/SIZE]
mark@ivanrox.com
Thought I would post some feedback I found on the forum within this thread.

soltran Wrote:This is a capstone course and you will need to call on knowledge that you have picked up in other courses. In particular, knowledge of operations management, finance, marketing and economics is likely to be required in addition to what is covered in the text.

This course is not as easy as some that I have taken and shouldn't be approached with the idea that you will be able to complete it with minimum effort. I believe the times quoted in the professor's statement above are conservative and it is likely that you would need to put in these types of hours for this course as a minimum.

soltran Wrote:There seems to be a heavy emphasis on participation (via the online forum environment) with 20% of the final grade coming from this participation. In other classes I have taken, guidelines have been specific such as, at least 3 posts to the message board a week to get maximum grades, but in this course all that is stated is that participation makes up 20% of the final grade. There are two discussion topics each week, one of which is a case study that requires a reasonable amount of research each week to be able to discuss intelligently. Between the two discussion topics there are about 150 messages posted each week, some of which are very lengthy and requires quite a bit of reading but plenty of opportunities to participate.

The quizzes, which make up 50% of the final grade, each have 20 questions, are open book and not timed. There have been discussions about how the wording of certain questions have tripped up some people but all questions come directly from the text and a perfect score on the quizzes is very possible.

There is a major case study, which is different for each participant and assigned to the participant at the beginning of the course but not due until the end of the course. This case study is worth 30% of the final grade and while I can’t comment on it much at this point, it does appear that both the text and the weekly discussions are geared toward preparing participants for completion of this case study. I feel that certain research could be started as soon as the case study is assigned but I would be reluctant to submit the final assignment until very late in the course to ensure nothing is missed from the discussion topics.

All-in-all I think that getting a C (70%) for this course wouldn’t be too difficult, getting a B (80%) should also be achievable for most people with a reasonable final assignment and regular participation, getting an A (90%) may be a little more difficult and without knowing exactly how the participation is being scored it is hard to judge at this stage.

From my experience I haven’t come across an Excelsior online course that can be finished quickly (not counting Information Literacy). One course, the quizzes, course content and weekly assignments weren’t released until the beginning of the week they were due. In another course, the assignments, quizzes and course content were available from the time the course started but the mid-term and final exams were not available until the week before they were due. Even with courses that have everything available from the start of the course, the amount of work required is likely to preclude anyone from finishing the course within a week, even if the instructor was willing to mark assignments immediately. Most courses have a participation component worth from 10% to 20% of the final grade which would be hard to address if not addressing it at the same time as other participants.

A couple of the courses had penalties for late submission of assignments and quizzes that were no longer available after their due date while others are less strict about when the assignments and quizzes are done, as long as they are done.

If you intend signing up for a 15 week Excelsior course, expect that contributions would be required each and every week.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,675 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Excelsior HR Degree Progress glgamerica 6 1,824 07-31-2018, 10:44 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Excelsior: ALEKS Beginning Algebra duplicates ... bluebooger 13 3,161 07-26-2018, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Exfactor
  COSC BSBA (General Business) -- Check please??? stampbuyme 5 1,828 07-26-2018, 03:20 PM
Last Post: topdog98
  Excelsior College 47th Annual Commencement - 12 Year Old Graduate Life Long Learning 16 4,914 07-26-2018, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Test Out Business Degree plan Bk2Skool 13 4,683 07-23-2018, 06:56 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 1 1,284 07-20-2018, 11:10 AM
Last Post: hsfamfun
  Business Degree and Dental School Flowers12 6 2,467 07-19-2018, 03:12 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 0 957 07-19-2018, 02:06 PM
Last Post: homeschoolmom1
  Enrolled in the Business Capstone course for the July Term. Anybody else? camjenks 25 4,976 07-16-2018, 02:18 PM
Last Post: keokat