Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Earning a Bachelor Degree Overseas
Hey guys, I've been lurking this forum on and off for the past year. Now that I've reached a point of financial stability I'm ready to begin working to earn a Bachelors at one of the big 3. Yet, I'm caught in a somewhat unique position. For several reasons, I'm going to be based out of Asia for the forseeable future. I'll be visiting the U.S. at the end of July, and can afford to make 1 maybe, maybe two additional visits to the U.S. this next year if necessary. My goal is earn my degree within the next year, and I can focus the majority of my time and energy into doing so.

The degree will be used for legally obtaining a work visa teaching English. An English degree would be a decent option, but overall a business degree would suffice as well, and possibly be better for long-term career options. What do I do now? I'm starting from scratch with credits.

It looks like I'll want to complete the majority of possible credits with Straighterline, and supplement this by completing CLEPS as necessary during my visits to the USA. Anyone do something like this before, or have advice in doing so? Which school I get the degree from isn't important to me, provided it's regionally accredited (just as most of the schools that tend to get discussed here are).

Your advice and guidance is appreciated.
Have you got any college credits or professional certifications already?
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
KayV Wrote:Have you got any college credits or professional certifications already?

Hey KayV, thanks for responding. I have my TESOL earned from 120 hours of study in a month-long intensive course. However, I have nothing in regards to college credits.
Was your TESOL a Cambridge CELTA?
If it was, that's Ofqual Level 5, which is similar to American associate degree level. If you went through another school, we could look it up.
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
Although I will say that your best bet would probably be to follow one of dfrecore's TESU BSBA plans and use Straighterline, Study.com, and TECEPs as much as possible so you don't have to go to testing centers. Using the Strategic Management TECEP instead of taking the Liberal Arts Capstone should save you time/ money as well.
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
KayV Wrote:Although I will say that your best bet would probably be to follow one of dfrecore's TESU BSBA plans and use Straighterline, Study.com, and TECEPs as much as possible so you don't have to go to testing centers. Using the Strategic Management TECEP instead of taking the Liberal Arts Capstone should save you time/ money as well.

Yes, I agree - no CLEP/DSST's necessary, you can do it all with ALEKS, Saylor, SL, Penn Foster, and study.com. I would not spend the money (or time) trying to fly to the US to take a bunch of exams. So much easier to do it all online.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Judging by your username I'm guessing China and I'm not aware of any testing facilities there, however I do know that the Temple University campus in Tokyo is listed as a CLEP testing center. If nothing else it's a quicker and less expensive flight than coming all the way back to the US. South Korea and Russia may be options as well.
TESU BSBA/GenMgmt, Graduation approved for March 2017
CR Sources: 75cr(StraighterLine), 15cr(Saylor), 6cr(ALEKS), 6cr(Kaplan, TESU), 12cr(PF), 6cr(CLEP)
CamXoai Wrote:Hey guys, I've been lurking this forum on and off for the past year. Now that I've reached a point of financial stability I'm ready to begin working to earn a Bachelors at one of the big 3. Yet, I'm caught in a somewhat unique position. For several reasons, I'm going to be based out of Asia for the forseeable future. I'll be visiting the U.S. at the end of July, and can afford to make 1 maybe, maybe two additional visits to the U.S. this next year if necessary. My goal is earn my degree within the next year, and I can focus the majority of my time and energy into doing so.

The degree will be used for legally obtaining a work visa teaching English. An English degree would be a decent option, but overall a business degree would suffice as well, and possibly be better for long-term career options. What do I do now? I'm starting from scratch with credits.

It looks like I'll want to complete the majority of possible credits with Straighterline, and supplement this by completing CLEPS as necessary during my visits to the USA. Anyone do something like this before, or have advice in doing so? Which school I get the degree from isn't important to me, provided it's regionally accredited (just as most of the schools that tend to get discussed here are).

Your advice and guidance is appreciated.

So, you're An American expat in Vietnam... Xin Chao.

Online testing is the way to go, as mentioned by the majority of your replies... I am not sure if your neck of the woods have any testing locations if you don't provide us your location.

You can work on your AS and then ladder up to a BSBA. It all depends on what you want to do.

You can review the degreeforum.wikia.com for degree plans and info on getting started.

Cam On!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
So am I understanding correctly that you can still take a TECEP to avoid the Liberal Arts capstone ($130ish vs $1500ish?) but you can no longer test out of the residency waiver? Also, is the residency waiver for both a BS and a BA? I would prefer a Liberal Arts degree but the extra $1500 turned me off to it and I had decided on the BSBA for financial reasons.
No, you can only take a TECEP for the BSBA Capstone, Strategic Management, thereby avoiding the Liberal Arts Capstone course and its fees.

But they should create a Liberal Arts Capstone TECEP. They really should. I just don't know how they would accomplish that or what it would entail.
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,202 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,859 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,344 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,675 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,868 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,778 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 5,006 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,963 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,325 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627
  TESU math degree plan. Am I doing this right? jakepg 9 2,684 08-23-2018, 09:20 PM
Last Post: armstrongsubero