Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Don't need cheap, don't need fast - I need what fits how I learn
Hello all!

I've got 10 more days left until my capstone ends and I've been looking into Masters programs. Work will pay $10k per year for TA so I'm not all that concerned right now with cost. What I'm more concerned with is finding a program that I find interesting and passionate about or I'll never finish it. 

I've been thinking competency based programs because of the flexibility of them. My thoughts (and this is what I need clarification on) are that I have some weeks at work where I am super busy and other weeks where I can spend a lot of time doing classes. When I'm stuck to deadlines it stresses me a bit.

Is this the right way to think about the competency programs? Even if I don't know the subject areas now? I'm looking at an MS in Psych or MS I/O Psych if that matters. I just love that kind of content and I know it will keep me interested and it will help me along my career path.

Would appreciate any input at all on this as I'm looking to start doing more research to keep the momentum going.
Thanks!
Susan
Amberton University, MS Human Relations & Business
Started June 2022

TESU BALS completed March 2020
Study.com (24) StraighterLine (33) Sophia (10) SHU and GCU (26) TEEX (6) Coopersmith (12) CSMLearn (3) TESU (6)
[-] The following 2 users Like suzycupcake's post:
  • BrighterFuture88, Life Long Learning
Just wondering, did you pay for your residency waiver yet? Wow, 10K for tuition assistance is the most I have seen so far. Most are 5K or so. Does that mean if it takes you 2 years, work will pay $20K for you? See the info below, There are numerous school options for you...

1. Since you mentioned Competency Based Degrees, Capella and Walden have various Psychology Masters.
2. FutureLearn and Coventry University in the UK teamed up for a Masters in Business & Organizational Psych.
3. Life University has a Masters in Positive Psychology, only one of 3 in the entire US, it’s almost 100% online.
4. Amberton University has a MA Professional Development with several concentrations, one in Psychology.
5. TESU has a MALS with an I/O Psychology concentration or Grad Certificate with the same name.

If you haven’t paid the graduation or residency waiver fees, and you don’t mind waiting another year to graduate, you might want to try for the Bach to Masters option at TESU and see if you can get the courses from the I/O Grad Cert taken in place of the recommended courses on TESU website.

If you want to graduate your BALS ASAP and don’t mind paying the waiver fee, you can do so. Just add a BA Psychology program to your list and shoot off an email to advising asking if you can take the I/O Grad Cert courses if you are a Bach to Masters student. This will give you Grad credits for the cost of Undergrad tuition.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Leedeedee
(01-16-2020, 02:21 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Just wondering, did you pay for your residency waiver yet?  Wow, 10K for tuition assistance is the most I have seen so far. Most are 5K or so.  Does that mean if it takes you 2 years, work will pay $20K for you?  See the info below, There are numerous school options for you...

1. Since you mentioned Competency Based Degrees, Capella and Walden have various Psychology Masters.
2. FutureLearn and Coventry University in the UK teamed up for a Masters in Business & Organizational Psych.
3. Life University has a Masters in Positive Psychology, only one of 3 in the entire US, it’s almost 100% online.
4. Amberton University has a MA Professional Development with several concentrations, one in Psychology.
5. TESU has a MALS with an I/O Psychology concentration or Grad Certificate with the same name.

If you haven’t paid the graduation or residency waiver fees, and you don’t mind waiting another year to graduate, you might want to try for the Bach to Masters option at TESU and see if you can get the courses from the I/O Grad Cert taken in place of the recommended courses on TESU website.  

If you want to graduate your BALS ASAP and don’t mind paying the waiver fee, you can do so.  Just add a BA Psychology program to your list and shoot off an email to advising asking if you can take the I/O Grad Cert courses if you are a Bach to Masters student.  This will give you Grad credits for the cost of Undergrad tuition.

Thank you for your response BJ!  Yes, it's $10K per year and they will also pay $45K for an Executive MBA. I'm very grateful.

The residency waiver is paid (they picked up that bill as well as the graduation fees too) and I will plan to move ahead with BALS for March graduation because I need the bachelors for now and dont want to wait. 

Our company has a service through EdAssist gives us access to Academic coaches and they've provided me with a Personalized Education Plan based on the consultation that I had with them. At the time, I said I wanted to investigate competency based programs and also Amberton. I said competency based because of my work schedule being busy sometimes and other times I am able to plow through schoolwork because I'm not that busy. I chose competency based because I thought it offered the most flexibility. What I am concerned about now though is people stating that competency based programs are for people who have experience in the field and can get through courses fast. If I get through them at my own pace, would a competency program still be ok or are they only for people who are familiar with everything? Thank you in advance!
Amberton University, MS Human Relations & Business
Started June 2022

TESU BALS completed March 2020
Study.com (24) StraighterLine (33) Sophia (10) SHU and GCU (26) TEEX (6) Coopersmith (12) CSMLearn (3) TESU (6)
[-] The following 1 user Likes suzycupcake's post:
  • warriortaupou
@suzycupcake congrats on coming so far!
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

[-] The following 1 user Likes armstrongsubero's post:
  • suzycupcake
(01-16-2020, 10:17 AM)suzycupcake Wrote: Our company has a service through EdAssist gives us access to Academic coaches and they've provided me with a Personalized Education Plan based on the consultation that I had with them. At the time, I said I wanted to investigate competency based programs and also Amberton. I said competency based because of my work schedule being busy sometimes and other times I am able to plow through schoolwork because I'm not that busy. I chose competency based because I thought it offered the most flexibility. What I am concerned about now though is people stating that competency based programs are for people who have experience in the field and can get through courses fast. If I get through them at my own pace, would a competency program still be ok or are they only for people who are familiar with everything? Thank you in advance!

Yes, a competency program would still work in this case.  The difference would be that it would take you longer to reach the competency level needed because you'd need time to learn the material. I can only speak of Walden and WGU (both at masters level) but they provide you with the materials/tools you need to learn the topic they want you to be knowledgeable in (at least what you need to know to complete the courses). Again if you were already familiar with the topic, you'd likely get through the material and complete the tasks/assignments faster - resulting in earning the degree quicker.   When it comes to choosing a master degree you're on the right track by choosing an area that interests you, especially if it in an area that is new(er)  to you, vs just getting one done (IMO).
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • suzycupcake
suzycupcake Wrote:What I am concerned about now though is people stating that competency based programs are for people who have experience in the field and can get through courses fast. If I get through them at my own pace, would a competency program still be ok or are they only for people who are familiar with everything? Thank you in advance!

There's no need to be concerned over this as you will gain the necessary knowledge once you start taking the courses at your pace, since you have a bit more time on your hands at random, it should be a very good fit. You can take Capella or Walden Masters and be done with the degree in a few terms, you shouldn't need to worry about knowing everything as you will gain that while working through the course load.

Basically yes, it'll be easier for those who have prior education/experience - just means it'll be easier/faster for those who have taken an undergrad in Psychology. If you've taken a few courses in psychology, you've got the basics already. If you're not in a rush, what you can do is an undergrad degree at TESU in Psychology, the only thing you'll be taking are 24 extra credits. Now get this, you can ask for a MALS, and use Graduate Credits towards the degree - so you can hit up a BA Psych and get the Grad Cert in I/O Psych.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • suzycupcake
Something else to consider: the networking opportunities that a graduate program can provide. The online graduate business programs at my school have many excellent networking opportunities. The networking opportunities may end up being more valuable than the education you get. Be sure to factor them into your decision. For me, I wouldn't attend a graduate program that lacked such opportunities.
BSBA/Accounting TESU (2016). MSA UIUC (2018).

Need help with portfolios? I earned 18 credits at TESU through portfolio evaluations. Nine of those were for upper level accounting courses. My advice for PLA/portfolios: TESU portfolio tips The first post has the Portfolio Checklist I created. Page ten has the actual narrative I wrote to receive credit for ACC-440.

Using Straighterline's Financial Accounting as a substitute for TESU's Intermediate Accounting I? Don't do it if you are an accounting major and/or want your CPA license. They are not the same course and I think TESU has erred in accepting the SL course as Intermediate I. I made this discovery here: Intermediate Accounting II.
[-] The following 1 user Likes tesu-acct-student's post:
  • suzycupcake
(01-16-2020, 10:17 AM)suzycupcake Wrote: ... What I am concerned about now though is people stating that competency based programs are for people who have experience in the field and can get through courses fast. If I get through them at my own pace, would a competency program still be ok or are they only for people who are familiar with everything? Thank you in advance!

Normally, the problem with a competency program is that taking longer costs more because you pay by the term. With your tuition assistance, that might be a moot point. Just make sure that a competency program fits the company's rules for TA, and that you are able to meet any policies they might have about the number of credits or grades. Also keep in mind that most companies require you to stay for a minimum amount of time after receiving the assistance or you have to pay some or all of it back. It would be a bummer to have $20,000 of aid keep you from taking the job of your dreams.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • suzycupcake
(01-16-2020, 01:45 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
suzycupcake Wrote:What I am concerned about now though is people stating that competency based programs are for people who have experience in the field and can get through courses fast. If I get through them at my own pace, would a competency program still be ok or are they only for people who are familiar with everything? Thank you in advance!

There's no need to be concerned over this as you will gain the necessary knowledge once you start taking the courses at your pace, since you have a bit more time on your hands at random, it should be a very good fit.  You can take Capella or Walden Masters and be done with the degree in a few terms, you shouldn't need to worry about knowing everything as you will gain that while working through the course load.  

Basically yes, it'll be easier for those who have prior education/experience - just means it'll be easier/faster for those who have taken an undergrad in Psychology.  If you've taken a few courses in psychology, you've got the basics already.  If you're not in a rush, what you can do is an undergrad degree at TESU in Psychology, the only thing you'll be taking are 24 extra credits.  Now get this, you can ask for a MALS, and use Graduate Credits towards the degree - so you can hit up a BA Psych and get the Grad Cert in I/O Psych.

@bjcheung77
Can you clarify your comment about obtaining a BA Psychology and getting a Grad Cert in I/O Psych?
[-] The following 1 user Likes HogwartsSchool's post:
  • suzycupcake
I would say that competency-based would actually be a better fit than something on a set schedule (where you will have deadlines, usually weekly). Since you're not bound by costs as most people are, this would probably work really well for you.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • ss20ts, suzycupcake

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cheap Online Software Engineering Masters? yellow_gambit 4 264 03-17-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
  List of Cheap Online MBA Programs That Can Be Completed in Under 1 Year LevelUP 23 14,281 03-03-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  SMC University Very Cheap! armstrongsubero 19 9,112 10-10-2023, 09:54 AM
Last Post: Stanislav
Question ENEB PM & Big Data How Fast? anyeveryany 14 2,520 06-05-2023, 05:55 AM
Last Post: KSoul
  Walden University Fast Track PhD feedback Johmford 1 936 01-03-2023, 04:35 PM
Last Post: sanantone
Exclamation Reading through this board for cheap grad schools but don't see MITx or Coursera??? Randyb100 30 4,647 12-06-2022, 06:27 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Fast/CBE Health masters degrees online Naija 11 2,094 07-06-2022, 10:53 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Cheap VESi CEU (Continuing Education) Graduate Credit for $62 per Credit from UMPI ashkir 8 1,842 04-23-2022, 01:32 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
Information Master's in Computer Science cheap pre-req courses MNomadic 5 1,548 01-15-2022, 08:50 PM
Last Post: mcjon77
  Fast 3 graduate credits. ashkir 10 2,209 12-14-2021, 03:06 PM
Last Post: Ideas