Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Don't misrepresent where you went to school.
If the prestige of a college matters to an employer, then they likely know the difference between a prestigious school and its extension or professional school or an entirely separate school within the same system that has lower admissions standards. Those employers do not like to be lied to or misled. You probably could have gotten the job based on your work experience if you hadn't lied or fudged the truth.

If an employer does not know the difference between the prestigious or flagship school and its offshoots, then prestige likely doesn't matter to them. Most of their employees probably graduated from non-prestigious schools.

If you went to UT - El Paso, then that is what should be on your resume. Don't just put University of Texas. If you went to Texas A&M - Commerce, don't just put Texas A&M. If you went to CSU Global Campus, then don't omit "Global Campus." If you went to Harvard Extension, then Harvard tells you how to list your degree appropriately to avoid confusion. 

Also, if you completed a non-credit certificate at Columbia, then don't tell everyone that you studied business at Columbia. Tyra Banks got herself into trouble by making people believe that she was attending Harvard Business School when it was only an executive certificate program. 

A politician also got himself into hot water when he wasn't straight forward about attending Harvard Extension. All of this came to mind because this cop tried to brag to me about getting accepted to Harvard. It turns out he went to Harvard Extension which does not have competitive admission. He was just trying to make it seem like he was better than me because we don't exactly get along. Nice try. I know the difference. 

Quote:As somebody who has personally on-boarded somebody claiming an HES degree as a HGSAS degree, I can tell you that this is pure bullwack. What a complete waste of time and energy her fraud was. I wasted a ton of time looking into the issue. Harvard’s own standards have always made it clear to grads that their HES degree is not a Harvard College degree. Period… It’s willful ignorance on the part of HES grads that it will be overlooked. Anyone who doesn’t know how to represent an HES degree on a resume is a liar.

Quote:It happens every few years where my firm gets an HES grad misrepresenting their degree. The latest “MA Anthropology – Harvard,” which after a little checking (we have learned to ALWAYS be suspicious), ends up being an MLA with a concentration from HES. When confronted they always plead ignorance and make the same BS argument about how they took classes on campus at Harvard taught by faculty and blah, blah, blah. Some are otherwise good candidates, but they are still committing resume fraud. I would take an honest UMass or UConn grad over HES any day. Had they listed their true HES credential on the resume and sold it in the interview, they would be fine.

http://blogs.harvard.edu/lamont/2017/11/...l-degrees/

http://floridapolitics.com/archives/2199...st-harvard
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 2 users Like sanantone's post:
  • davewill, dfrecore
Yeah, it's always best to just own it. I'm proud that I finished my degree at TESU and I'm happy to tell my story if it's relevant.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • GoldieLux
(06-27-2018, 02:48 PM)sanantone Wrote:  Tyra Banks got herself into trouble by making people believe that she was attending Harvard Business School when it was only an executive certificate program. 

Tyra Banks is a lifetime alumni member of Harvard Business School (HBS).  She also has a lifetime Harvard Business School (HSB) lifetime email.  MIT also gives a lifetime MIT email. She gets put into the HBS list of alumni and network of HBS alumni.  

*Executive Education Certificate
Harvard Business School (HBS), Cambridge, Massachusetts

Tyra Banks got in trouble as she said DEGREE.  

I think I read her executive education program was 9 weeks long at the Harvard Business School (HBS) campus and completed in three 2-3 week terms.
https://www.exed.hbs.edu/programs/opm/Pages/alumni.aspx

HBS Alumni Community As a member of the exclusive HBS alumni network, you'll be able to tap into a rich network of resources: more than 78,000 MBA (degrees) and Executive Education (rich, successful, leaders) Alumni.
https://www.exed.hbs.edu/Pages/search.aspx?q=alumni

The Harvard Executive Education programs are #2 in annual revenue.  It brings in over $411 Million a year in tuition/fees.  One online article stated Executive Education alumni donate more and take less than regular degree alumni.  Sounds like a win-win to both the Harvard Business school (HBS) and Executive Education.

I do not think the Harvard Extension grads get much?

I plan on doing some Executive Education Certificates in the next 4 years. Big Grin   I will not call them a degree.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

[-] The following 1 user Likes Life Long Learning's post:
  • Pikachu
How do you feel about NOT listing or mentioning a particular degree on a job application or resume? For people with multiple degrees, I can see not listing degrees from lesser ranked schools. Or a person changing careers not listing degrees from a previous field. Maybe someone in youthful ignorance obtained a nationally accredited degree before obtaining a regionally accredited degree and chooses to omit the nationally accredited degree. I'm not talking about keeping things off of transcripts. If inflating education is wrong, is deflating education wrong?
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
(06-27-2018, 05:14 PM)clep3705 Wrote: How do you feel about NOT listing or mentioning a particular degree on a job application or resume? For people with multiple degrees, I can see not listing degrees from lesser ranked schools. Or a person changing careers not listing degrees from a previous field. Maybe someone in youthful ignorance obtained a nationally accredited degree before obtaining a regionally accredited degree and chooses to omit the nationally accredited degree. I'm not talking about keeping things off of transcripts. If inflating education is wrong, is deflating education wrong?

Inflating = Lie

Deflating is not a lie.

I have not put in my HS diploma in 30-years.  No room on the resume.  Same with my excess general study/liberal arts degrees.  Not needed and near useless.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

Do you think it’s important to also list the city where you attended and maybe even the college within the university?
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
(06-27-2018, 05:23 PM)videogamesrock Wrote: Do you think it’s important to also list the city where you attended and maybe even the college within the university?

If you are a super elite M7 Business graduate they would put the college within the University as the college is often quite famous.

(06-27-2018, 05:23 PM)videogamesrock Wrote: Do you think it’s important to also list the city where you attended and maybe even the college within the university?

Naming the city depends on the school. If the city is part of the name of the school like "University of California, Santa Cruz", then yes. If it's not, like "University of Arizona", then no. I think naming the college within the school is probably optional. If you went to UPenn for business, you'd probably want to say "The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania". If you got your BA at TESU, you probably won't bother with "Heavin School of Arts & Sciences". I know I don't.

P.S. In searching for Wharton, I discovered they are also in San Francisco and Bejing, so if you went to one of those other locations rather than Philly, you should probably mention it.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(06-27-2018, 05:14 PM)clep3705 Wrote: How do you feel about NOT listing or mentioning a particular degree on a job application or resume? For people with multiple degrees, I can see not listing degrees from lesser ranked schools. Or a person changing careers not listing degrees from a previous field. Maybe someone in youthful ignorance obtained a nationally accredited degree before obtaining a regionally accredited degree and chooses to omit the nationally accredited degree. I'm not talking about keeping things off of transcripts. If inflating education is wrong, is deflating education wrong?

No problem leaving things off.  I even leave jobs off if I'm tailoring my resume to a specific job.  There are now too many to list, and some are not relevant.  Nobody cares that I worked at the school sandwich shop in college.  Or the shoe store.  Or the job I quit after 2 weeks because I refused to work for a chauvinist pig.  Etc.

I don't list my Certificate in Management, or my BOG AAS, and never will.  My BSBA is quite enough.  I do list important certifications I have, especially if they pertain to the job I'm going for.  An IT person might have more of these than any kind of formal education on their resume.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
School systems can get kind of confusing. I'll use Texas since I'm most familiar with it. We have multiple university systems: Texas A&M, Texas Tech, University of Texas, University of Houston, and Texas State. There might be one more system, but it's not big.

University of Houston, Texas A&M, and University of Texas have separate schools with the same name just with a different city (or location) at the end. They're separate schools accredited independently with different adminissions requirements and levels of prestige. For example, University of Houston - Downtown has a reputation of not being as good as University of Houston. Even though it's not in a different city, it's a separate school. 

On the other hand, UTSA has a downtown campus that's a part of the main campus. Texas State University has a Round Rock campus that's a part of the main school in San Marcos.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 12 1,623 03-22-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 199 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 618 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Canada's Newest Medical School - Opening 2026 at SFU bjcheung77 1 320 11-01-2023, 05:41 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Brown Medical School withdraws from U.S. News rankings allvia 2 437 10-30-2023, 09:51 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  How Technology Shapes Ideas - University of Chicago Graham School Charles Fout 0 256 09-15-2023, 09:38 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  ACSOM - Caribbean Medical School (New!) bjcheung77 9 1,040 09-05-2023, 12:19 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  UK equivalent of high school diploma axa 8 4,036 09-01-2023, 08:13 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  High School online from the UK | 9 months, A Levels equivalent in the US elcastor21 7 589 08-26-2023, 01:01 PM
Last Post: elcastor21
  Need school like ASU Universal Learner Program aetosdios 8 1,284 08-08-2023, 10:58 AM
Last Post: MNomadic