Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Departmental Examinations
The article linked below is a about alternative sources of college credit.  At the end it mentions the prospect of taking "Departmental Examinations" and I'm wondering if this is something that any of you have been able to take advantage of.
https://www.stmurattlernews.com/home/202...t-options/
Nothing new there. The "Departmental Examination" is only for the center mentioned in the article. I do not think you can transfer those and looks like you have to be a student at the institution.
I think that most schools that do this kind of thing call them "challenge exams" and they're not always transferrable. They might be. But not necessarily.

TECEPs are a form of this, though structured in such a way that most schools will likely accept them for credit.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • BrianFallon
Yes, it could be similar to the TECEP and UExcel exams provided by TESU and Excelsior. OR it could be similar to the Strayer Challenge Exams where you only can get credit at the school. In fact, there are many schools across the nation that have challenge exams, but their fees are usually more than $20/course or $20/credit.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I've seen challenge exams at schools, most of which are free. I've seen them give credit on transcripts, and I've seen where they just make a notation that you took the exam and qualify for a higher-level course (like if you challenged Spanish 1 & 2 and "tested in" to Spanish 3).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(02-15-2021, 01:23 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I've seen challenge exams at schools, most of which are free. I've seen them give credit on transcripts, and I've seen where they just make a notation that you took the exam and qualify for a higher-level course (like if you challenged Spanish 1 & 2 and "tested in" to Spanish 3).

Back in my original college days, my RA awarded me 15 hours of credit in Spanish for passing a much higher Spanish credit class. I took a placement exam and passed the class with a C. They awarded the credit by course name and I have 18 hours total Spanish credits..

It worked well

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information Excelsior College will no longer offer UExcel examinations after August 21, 2022 nomaduser 2 360 11-06-2023, 02:39 PM
Last Post: ss20ts